[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 186 KB, 695x664, 1426370496955.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9528019 No.9528019 [Reply] [Original]

Hello, I need to make a difficult choice about which classes to take. I´m about to attend IB next year and I can only have 2 "science" classes. I can choose between Chemistry, Physics, and Biology. The end goal is to become a veterinarian. I'm definitely taking Higher level Chemistry because I find it really interesting. I would love to take physics as well. I have been improving in maths so I believe I can at least manage standard level. but I'm torn between bio and physics because I can only have one of them, if I'm taking bio I`ll go higher level. What should I do?

>> No.9528570

>>9528019
Yeah it sucks that they give you 2 choices, oh well. I'm doing bio 3rd year now, so back then I took HL bio and HL chem. First of all what you should do is look at the IB requirements of the SPECIFIC degrees in specific universities that you would like to apply. Are you going for some kind of veterinary medicine degree or general medicine first? Not sure how it works if you want to become a vet. Some degrees might ask you to have HL chem and HL bio, others a mixture of e.g. Chem plus physics/bio depending on the degree requirements. So that's your first priority.

Difficulty wise, standard physics should be easy, but for HL physics it is common for people to do high level math alongside it. Did you have a serious problem with math up to now? If you did, think carefully because these 2 years will determine your university. If you could handle the math with enough effort then you should be fine here too.

All that said, bio will probably be more useful to you. I don't know what vets do precisely or what knowledge they gain in university, but iirc there are optional courses in your second year IB bio that are very useful for medics, some anatomy courses etc.

It's up to you really, main thing is to know what your vet degree will be exactly. From then on, you can look into the content of the physics and bio modules and balance the usefulness/interest of each.

>> No.9528690

>>9528019
physics is unnecessary for a vet program, biology will help
don't take standard level physics, it's garbage and you won't understand why you're doing anything
vet school is very competitive, at least stateside.

>> No.9529130

>>9528019
Don't take physics is all i gotta say

>> No.9529450

>>9528019
>physics
Not a science.

>> No.9529496

Hey, I just finished my IB and took biology SL. I wanted to study geography and planned to do a gap year.

Everything failed and I am now studying biology in a prestigious university.

Biology is great. I think a lot of people underestimate the importance of it! Take biology, especially if you study it at uni, you'll take part in a lot of practicals and research programs.

>> No.9530886

>>9528019

That really depends on the uni you’re applying to. Often they require both bio and physics, but some prefer one or the other. IB bio exams are however really ass so I’d advice against it, and I enjoy physics so if I didn’t know what you want to do I’d definetely take phys as it’s so damn easy.

T. Ib student that takes both