[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 55 KB, 448x437, main.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
944510 No.944510 [Reply] [Original]

Not a troll.

I wonder how various religions think about the universe in general. Christianity mostly, but mostly any religion that believes that our planet is the only one with life.

Personally. I think it's extremely silly that billions of galaxies and planets and we're the ONLY ONE with life on it. The odds are astronomical in my opinion.

What's your take on this /sci/?

>> No.944515

Yeah, with those astronomical odds, it should be EASY to find life on another planet...right?

>> No.944519

>ignoring the first two sentences

i concur
also drake's equation

>> No.944521

>>944515

I'm not saying it'd be easy to find life on another planet for us as humans, however; as big as the universe is and with the uncountable number of planets and galaxies. There is just bound to be another planet with civilized life much like our own, or just life in general.

>> No.944527

>>944521
sounds like the same logic used by the theists /sci/ despise so much
>despite having no evidence supporting our claim, it's just GOTTA be true!

>> No.944532

>>944527
Except one is a leap of faith and another is a logical conclusion.

>> No.944537

>>944532
1. I know that life is present on Earth.
2. It's found no where else despite extensive searching.
3. It happened here, it must be happening elsewhere! No way Divine Intelligence was involved!
nice logic bro

>> No.944538

More interesting question: how common is it for a solar system to have several large gas planets and several more smaller solid planets? Is our ~eight an incredibly rare event?

And since we can't detect planets that well (with some exceptions), just as unanswerable.

>> No.944539

>>944537
Am arguing with a christian or something?

>> No.944541
File: 17 KB, 418x499, 1267313601155.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>944510
>Christianity mostly, but mostly any religion that believes that our planet is the only one with life.

This is bullshit. Christanity is a big religion with tons of differnt branches. The main branch
"CATHOLICS" BELIEVE ALIENS ARE POSSIBLE, THEY actually BELIEVE IN EVOLUTION AS WELL AS THE BIG BANG.

>> No.944543

>>944537

However; that 'extensive' searching however is maybe a minuscule amount of the known universe.

There is still a fuck ton more to search.

>> No.944544

>>944539
No more so than you arguing with own grammar

>> No.944545

>>944544
No.

>> No.944546

>>944541
>They are also a hive mind.

>> No.944553

>Not a troll.
>I wonder how various religions
0/10

>> No.944557

>>944553

>I raet post. I'm so clever XD

>> No.944555

>>944546
You saying catholics have a hive mind? Ok

>> No.944562

>>944557
>XD
>kill yourself forever

>> No.944567

>>944562

>implying I wasn't using the emoticon to point out your faggotry.

>> No.944575

If there is a 1 in a trillion chance of life happening there would still be hundreds of trillions of planets that had/have/will have some form of life

>> No.944582

>>944567
>implying that by doing so, you weren't revealing your own implicit faggotry
>implying I was the one who rated your shitty thread

>> No.944586

>>944575
>implying there are more than 1 trillian planets in the universe
nice try athiests, score one for team jesus

>> No.944589

>>944575
>If there is a 1 in a trillion chance of life happening there would still be hundreds of trillions of planets that had/have/will have some form of life
>If there is a 1 in a trillion chance of life happening
>If there is a 1 in a trillion chance
Statistics don't work that way.

>> No.944597

>>944586

>implying there isn't

>> No.944598

>>944597
How do you know there are? You count them all?

>> No.944607

>>944598
I have

>> No.944608

>>944607
well shit, guess I was wrong then

>> No.944616

>>944608
Yup, better convert to another religion now

>> No.944619

>>944598
There's about 7E22 stars in the observable universe (says wolfram alpha). As an actual number, that is:
which is bigger than a human can really understand.

For a trillion planets, the odds would only have to be 1 in 7 billion - and that's assuming that a star can have _at most_ one planet. From what we know, the odds are "maybe" a little more likely.

>> No.944669

>>944510
There is undoubtedly life elsewhere in the universe, studies have shown that the precursor to DNA and thus life is able to form spontaneously under the correct environmental conditions, however, I don't believe life has reached the degree of complexity elsewhere as it has on earth, we would mostly be dealing with single celled organisms or basic multi-cellular organisms for the most part, wild animals if we get extremely lucky, not space-faring super-races or even the mental equivalents of humans. The universe is a very hostile and dangerous place.

>> No.944939

Most of Christianity believes in other life, I know that cause I'm a Christ fag but I'm also studying AstroPhysics at Monash.
The chance that there's life in the observable SKY is likely. The chance there's life in our observable universe (what we can see with our powerful telescopes) is as likely that you're going to wake up alive tomorrow. The chance there's life in the WHOLE universe is definite.
Considering M-Theory suggests that we're one of the infinite amount of Universes in the Multiverse suggests that we're extremely self-centered to believe we are the only life.

In my opinion, the universe is old enough to have spawned space-faring civilizations which have evolved so far that they have outlived themselves. The reason we might be so very lonely is because there isn't much life left to contact us..

>> No.944983

>>944939
Meh. We aren't/won't/weren't alone. But the universe is really big and for all our wonderful theories about faster-than-light travel, I doubt we'll ever meet up with other life that's within a billion years of us. So, basically alone anyway.

Wow that doesn't actually make a lot of sense when I read it. I'm saying that there is life out there but it's probably impossible to contact them. Or, more likely, they've come and gone already, and there'll be plenty more after we don't exist. We can't even see ruins because of the giant timescales but mostly because they're so far away.

Fuck, still doesn't make sense, and think I'm contradicting myself. Better call it a day.

>> No.945002

>>944541
I'm sorry but your troll receives a 0/10.

Catholics believe the bible says the Earth is 5,000 years old just like any other branch of Christianity. They are just the laziest religion ever....

>> No.945003

We have only 6 or 7 bodies that could possibly harbor life.

We've detected 10s of planets relatively closeby with gas giants, but we aren't able to detect planets as small as Earth with much efficiency yet.

Now, most stars aren't like ours, which are good for life. Let's say that 35% are yellow stars like our Sun. I would say that up to 30% of such star systems have a rocky planet/moon close to the Goldilock Zone. I would say that maybe 1% of those have the conditions for making life (atmosphere, magnetic core, etc), and of those, 50% have had life at some point. Then, I would guess that .01% of those developed intelligence equivalent to that of, say, a turtle.

Now...let's see...100-400 billion stars in the Milky Way...

By my guesstimation (totally nonscientific), in the Milky Way, there's about 52 million planets with life, and 500,000 with animal-like creatures with some form of intelligence.

>> No.945010

>>945002
No they don't. The Catholic Church has accepted that the Big Bang and evolution are scientifically accepted, and view that as God's Plan yada yada.

There are Catholic Creationists, but most aren't, and most view the Bible as being metaphorical in those regards.

>> No.945013

>>945003
By "We" I mean "The Solar System." The Solar System only has a couple of bodies that could have supported life, one of which did/does.

>> No.945016

>>945002

Meh. I'll give *your* troll score 1/10, since it actually drove me to find a citation.

"In his encyclical Humani Generis (1950), my predecessor Pius XII has already affirmed that there is no conflict between evolution and the doctrine of the faith regarding man and his vocation, provided that we do not lose sight of certain fixed points....Today, more than a half-century after the appearance of that encyclical, some new findings lead us toward the recognition of evolution as more than a hypothesis. In fact it is remarkable that this theory has had progressively greater influence on the spirit of researchers, following a series of discoveries in different scholarly disciplines. The convergence in the results of these independent studies – which was neither planned nor sought – constitutes in itself a significant argument in favor of the theory."

- John Paul II, Message to the Pontifical School of Sciences on Evolution

>> No.945027

>>945016
What I'm trying to say is what they believe in doesn't matter. They use a book from the bronze age as their moral compass. So why would we even give them any credit for knowing anything about the origin of our universe? They are irrational, scared, simpletons.

>> No.945037

>>945027

Darwin
Newton

and this guy,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lema%C3%AEtre

>>>/b/

>> No.945038

>>944519
>also drake's equation
>using bullshit to prove more utter bullshit

>> No.945044

>>945027

Find me anything Catholics believe in that is not still valid today.

>> No.945046

>>945003
We can actually detect them very well under certain circumstances - namely, when a star with one (or bigger planets) gets in the way of another star and gravitational lensing occurs. Unfortunately this only happens a lot near the core so we only look there, and those stars are extremely far away. (Odd really... the smallest planets can only be detected at extreme distances.)

http://planet.iap.fr/ is the homepage. Awful though. Also annoying in general, they moved in a few weeks ago and I can't get access to the goddamn telescope for months.

>> No.945056

>>944510

>>>/yg/

With what face do you come on /sci/ with 90% of your information wrong.

>> No.945136

>>945044
Resurrection.

>> No.945146

>>944537
>2. It's found no where else despite extensive searching.

We didn't do extensive searching, yet. (Because we can't do it)

>> No.945150

>>945044
water walking, water into wine, ressurection, miracles, healing of blindness/lepracy etc, virgin birth...

should I go on?

>> No.945155

>>945150
oh and god....