[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 13 KB, 180x240, farts.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
941051 No.941051 [Reply] [Original]

discuss

>> No.941067

fuck it, this will reveal my secret of being a economics major but what ever.

SOMEONE EXPLAIN ENTROPY TO ME, I'M DUMB AND I DON'T HAVE THE ATTENTION SPAN TO READ THE ENTIRE WIKIPEDIA ARTICLE.

>> No.941077

>>941067

tl;dr: chaos in molecules.

>> No.941115

>>941067
a system is in the most entropy when it is in a configuration that is the most statistically likely.

Say you have a universe with 5 atoms in it. and each of these atoms can have an energy level of either 1, 2 ,3 or 4. And say the total energy of the box has to equal 10.

one configuration would be to have all 5 atoms at energy level 2. This is quite an unlikley state since there aren't any ways of re-arranging the atoms within this configuration to give other possibilties giving the same end distribution. It would be equivalent to all the air moelcues in the room being at the exact same temperature for an instant or all happening to compress into one corner of the room. We can say that such a system is very "ordered" and is not likely to happen because there are so few configurations in which it could happen.

On the other hand if you had one atom at level 3, two atoms at level 2 and 3 at level one then you'd be able to rearrange the atoms in may different configuration which would yeiled the same distribution. you can say the system is more disordered, and that if the universe went from all atoms being at level two to this new state that there had been an increase in entropy.

So all entropy is the consideration of the most statistically likely state, i.e. the more disordered state.

>> No.941131

>>941115

man you're the best

>> No.941133

>>941115
by the way this example is analogous to the distribution of individual kinetic energies of molecules within a room at a certian temperature.

The most statistically likely distribution of kinetic energies for a particular temperature is called the boltzmann distribution, and it's actually derived mathematically through the general case of the scenario I just described in >>941115

>> No.941155

/thread

>> No.941201
File: 156 KB, 800x600, 1273815372619.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.941216

>>941201

THREAD'S MAKING A COMEBACK

MORE OF THIS