[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.31 MB, 250x333, 4chan.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9391912 No.9391912 [Reply] [Original]

Okay so say I'm a billionaire looking to humiliate Musk, Bezos, Branson and co, tell me...

How do we colonise Venus? I obvs mean the part of the atmosphere high up where we'd just float. But how to build a structure, get it up into space and to Venus big enough for people to live in a floating cloud habitat? I'm not thinking cramped ISS shit here btw, I'm thinking long-term floating city. Or at least a comfy small town. The wind and the sulphuric acid are the main issues. How to combat these? Personally I think the only way forward is a radical step forward in engines - the type to enable flying cars - think Star Wars' Empire ships with those blue lights type things - and to get us out of the Earth's atmosphere without a fucking deafening explosion and millions of tons of smoke and shit that rockets today have.

Basically, how do we make the jump from rocket to spaceship? That process is the key to all this.

>> No.9391920
File: 30 KB, 481x425, 1514070409979.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how you gonna make a floating habitat

how is that not the most important part of this

>> No.9391988

>>9391912
>not colonizing the moon

>> No.9392145

>>9391920
Already solved, we'd just float. For example, if on the surface of Venus you filled up a balloon with the same gases on Earth, it'd float up to the part of the atmosphere that is like Earth's.

Only it'd be barrages by winds that get up to around 270mph and there'd be sulphuric acid clouds. Most people think allowing it to float with the winds is best because it relieves structural stress.

>>9391988
Will already be done, Bezos' plan is to handle logistics and he's looking at the Moon. Between him, Nasa (who will use the Moon or at least a cislunar orbit to get to Mars) and Musk, the Moon is pretty much covered. That'll be covered by the time I get my shit to Venus.

>> No.9392169

>>9392145
>Already solved
Oh yeah, is that why we have floating blimp cities on earth now? And luxurious air barges and zeppelins?

>> No.9392249

>>9391912
Floating requires being less dense that the surrounding medium -- at the same pressure!
Two ways.
Venus air is almost entirely CO2. Both O2 and N2 have lower molecular weights, so a balloon filled with either gas (or a mixture) will float.
OR fill the balloon with Venusian air but keep it hot. This requires some sort of fission or fusion reactor, but you'll need something like that anyway to move useful quantities of material between planets.

How high you'll float depends upon the weight of the attached structure, the envelope of the balloon and your city. You want to be high enough that the heat and pressure don't do you in.

Outside of bragging rights, what does Venus have that anybody wants? Some scientific knowledge and that's about it. Don't need a floating city for that.
In fact, it'd be cheaper and easier just to leave your base in orbit above the atmosphere. It costs to move stuff in and out of a gravity well.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have a "spacedrive" better than rockets. Or anti-gravity. But we have pretty good reasons for doubting either technology will ever exist outside of the movies.

>> No.9392255

>>9391912
a space habitat would be more beneficial, colonizing Venus is stupid and pointless

>> No.9392270

>>9392249
>Outside of bragging rights, what does Venus have that anybody wants?
If you want to go full Star Trek there is the idea that if you could speed up venus' rotation you could begin to reverse the green house effect and potentially terraform it.

>> No.9392356

People don't even live in floating cities on Earth. Why should we care about making floating cities on Venus?