[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 166 KB, 940x660, solar-cycle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
938577 No.938577 [Reply] [Original]

>Science was born, and science will die.

Agree? Disagree?

Is science still ascending, or has it already begun its decline?

>> No.938600

It's still ascending I think.

>> No.938605

science has always existed, if you believe the pragmatists

>> No.938613

Science is a concept made by men. The same can be said about theology in all of its forms.
Science will die, but only after god has been disproved.
Unfortunetly the latter has yet to happen.

>> No.938618

>>938613

>Science will die, but only after god has been disproved.

Why?
I don't get it.

>> No.938627

ideas only die if everyone forgets them

as long as it remains the best descriptor of our universe, science won't be forgotten

and last i checked, islam wasn't very close to giving practical advice on how to construct and fly airplanes

>> No.938637
File: 51 KB, 650x730, 1247913852590.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>938627
>islam
>fly airplanes

>> No.938658

Science won't die of a slow decline. Science will die of a rapid WAAAAAGH on the part of the fundamentalists.

>> No.938671

I think science is being pushed further into more extreme scales, very small particle and quantum stuff, and cosmological scale science. A lot of the new fields I think of seem more like engineering than science (nanotech, electronics, biochem), but I imagine you need science for new tech, so I don't imagine science will be overtaken/displaced, if thats what youre talking about

>> No.938672

>>938613
>Science will die, but only after god has been disproved.

Wrong. We won't stop technological advancements for such a silly reason. On that note, you can find overwhelming evidence that suggests something is true, but you can't "disprove" something like God. Note: finding evidence which contradicts retarded pop-religion != disproving God.

>> No.938673

>>938613
But science helps explain how nature works, instead of saying that it was the whim creation of a bearded man that sits on the clouds.
If science will evolve well enough, eventually it will disprove god, rise to a divine stage and eventually spirituallity will be the underdog that will kill science.
What think?

>> No.938680

that's silly.

>> No.938681

No, science has always got something to study. For instance, if physicists prove the M-theory, they can start looking for tachyons. Medicine - no comments. Genetics - the same. Etc. Chemistry and nuclear physics - search for island of stability and then, if it exists, researching the newly found stable elements.

>> No.938678

>>938658
You can't stop everyone from thinking. Science will last as long as humans do. Just how long that is...

>> No.938688

>implying science is not transhuman fire

>> No.938722

>>938688
What the flying fuck is that supposed to mean?

>> No.938746

What the fuck is wrong with you people? This isn't a war with the fundies. as long as the scientific method is even passingly used by any human being, science will live. it's always fucking religion with you people. you can't comprehend a single topic without somehow including your hate for religion, and only the abrahamic ones at that. it's like half of the world doesn't exist when you talk about religion. shit you make me sad to be an atheist /sci/.

>> No.938752 [DELETED] 

>>938722
Its a kind of Promethean thing, "fire" was a big leap foreward, as big as transhumanism will be for our meat forms.
I wonder what the fire of the posthuman will be, though.

>> No.938763

>>938722
Fire was a huge leap in human mastery over nature, as transhumanism will be. The poster is saying technology is whats making us make the next big leap. I'd disagree, though, I'd say technology is the phenomenon, and fire is just an example of it, and the mechanism whereby we become transhuman is something more specific, like the internet or computation

>> No.938774
File: 616 KB, 849x478, dfghuhg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

y'all lyin

>> No.938810

It is not dead which can eternal lie.
Over strange eons even death may die.

>> No.938869

>>938613
God has already been disproved many times. The fact that religious theists retreat to the most absurdly philosophical definitions of "proof" in order to maintain their outdated belief systems should not hold any significance in a dialog between rational people.

>> No.938889

>>938869
See
>>938746
>>938672

>> No.938902

>>938577

Disagree.

Science is god

>> No.938974

As long as we exist in a universe coherent enough to understand

And as long as we still seek to understand it

There will still be science.

>> No.938978

>>938746
This is a website commonly visited by english speaking faggots from faggot western countries where THE ONLY RELEVANT RELIGIONS ARE 'ABRAHAMIC'

>> No.938993

Ever since The Great Awakening passed us, followed by The Enlightenment, the world goes through cycles of Great Awakenings and Enlightenments.

IMO, we're in a new Great Awakening, and I can't wait until the next Enlightenment.

>> No.938998

>>938993
>The Great Awakening

??

>> No.939000

>>938993
The Enlightenment + Modern technology/science + Internet + Socially free societies = oh god i came so hard

>> No.939004

>>938993
What are some other examples of the cycle?

>> No.939068

>>938978
the abrahamic religions are a set of 3. the majority of the world's theistic population consists of 7 religions currently. in existence are hundreds of belief systems. historically, cross-pollination has had an effect on nearly all religions, especially the major ones (christianity borrows heavily from zoroastrianism and egyptian theism for example).

when you speak of religion, all religions are relevant. you sir, are just an ignorant fucktard.

>> No.939082

>>939068
>when you speak of religion, all religions are relevant.

Learn how society works. Religions that are largely not practiced in our societies are not really relevant for us to discuss. This being an english website, the visitors largely come from western countries where christianity is the main religion with islam and judaism taking very minor roles.

Let me say that again: THIS IS A SITE CATERING TO A WESTERN AUDIENCE AND WILL DISCUSS THINGS RELEVANT TO WESTERN SOCIETY

Might as well bitch at modern mechanics for not discussing steam engines

>> No.939097

>>939082
>Might as well bitch at modern mechanics for not discussing steam engines

What? Modern theories of physics can explain steam engines just fine.

>> No.939098

>>939082
>implying an accurate quantitative or qualitative analysis of the way things work can be gained by throwing out perfectly good data

>> No.939106
File: 32 KB, 400x541, 1269138531827.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>thread about science
>religion

>> No.939121

>>939097
mechanics as in people who work on mechanical devices. let me rephrase

its like bitching at a modern automotive mechanic for not discussing steam engines. sure, steam engines exist but we dont use them very much in contemporary society.

>>939098
When discussing things with people you have to give them something to relate to. A western audience can't really relate to bitching about hindus. But they can relate to points about christianity.

I know that you may not be familar with actually discussing things with people, but thats just how it works.

>> No.939146

>>939121
>implying an atheist could relate to Christianity in a more meaningful way than the average "Westerner" could relate to Hinduism simply because said atheist is "Western"

>implying you can't explain things to people and are forced to dumb everything down

>> No.939236

>>938998
GOOGLE, MOTHERFUCKER. DO YOU USE IT?

>> No.939250

>>939004
If you look on the Wiki page for The Great Awakening, scholars have come to a consensus on three Great Awakenings. In terms of society in the U.S., I personally think we're in one right now, what with the rebirth of Evangelism and all that.

I think the 50s and 60s are a great example of a modern Enlightenment, exemplified by the space program. Tons of other huge innovations came during that time too though, in both science and art.