[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 249 KB, 1777x755, 3917557d67f2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9367941 No.9367941 [Reply] [Original]

tried /x/ but they have too much tin foil up their asses and /b/ well, not the smartest bunch.
Is there legit science involved i.e 4th dimension, tangent universes, can this shit really happen in physics? How rare, i mean what scenario could make this story not just a story. Or am i the idiot too absorbed in "philosophy of time travel" anyone
? ~ TL;DR Donnie Darko DIY ??? ~

>> No.9368274

String theory only works (i.e. is mathematically consistent) if there are 4 or 5 additional spatial dimensions. Time is tacked on top of those so don't ask if "Time is the 4th dimension".
Mind you. currently zero evidence String theory is correct and really describes how the universe is. Searches for additional supersymmetrical particles which ought to exist haven't found anything.

But a lot of physicists have found the mathematics beautiful and have invested their careers in it, so I guess it's considered "serious" and not just SF.

If you meant "parallel" universes or a universe which continually fissions into diverging quantum realities -- no evidence of them, and not too many physicists who believe.

As for time travel, the Einstein field equations don't seem to forbid it but that's sort of damning with faint praise. Logical paradoxes, difficulty with conservation laws, loopholes in causality, and so on.

>> No.9368285

>>9367941
if you don't know any math (or physics I guess), then clear, specific, concepts like "four dimensional manifold" and "tangent space" end up sounding like ethereal shit to you.

don't talk about things you don't know, and don't think about them if you don't want to learn them, or you'll just be confused. that's all.

>> No.9368526
File: 548 KB, 1038x698, tyson 3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9367941
Oh, I'd never heard of Donnie Darko and didn't realize what you meant by "tangent space" when I wrote >>9368274

Having now read a summary, I'd say it's total BS.
>>9368285 has good advice. If you're interested in a subject, learn from reputable sources. That usually doesn't include movies.
Neil deGrasse Tyson agrees.

>> No.9368540
File: 81 KB, 315x360, 1511761761718.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9368274
Time is the first dimension and you would know this if you weren't an IQlet who only reads shit study material.