[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 49 KB, 480x480, 1510651406641.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9363338 No.9363338 [Reply] [Original]

Hi. I'm dumb.

Can someone tell me what type of function is used to amplify current?
And can someone explain how amplifying current can change aspects of the sound?

Do digital speakers account for this change of sound (if it exists)? Well I guess digital amps would correct that on their own. but, lets assume we're talking about an analog signal.

Or do you simply amplify to move bigger magnets, which lets you move bigger diaphragms? Where does distortion come from I guess basically. Is it from limitations of the thing producing sound (or the recording medium) or is it from gain itself?

Well, I guess tldr I just want to know, what does the function look like for the process of amplification and also does it produce distortion of the signal.

>> No.9363358

>>9363338
op-amps amplify current. If you amplify a signal (gain), you also increase the noise within that signal (nonsense frequencies). This is what shielding and filters are for. Digital just means that wave amplitudes are quantized, which is dependent on the resolution of the ICs involved in the circuit. I don't understand the rest of your question.

any EE please correct me if I'm wrong

>> No.9363385

>>9363338
As previous anon said digital speakers are speakers that use quantized voltages (exact multiples of a certain minim voltage) where as analog ones use everything in between. I’m analog circuits you could have 1 volt or 2 but in analog you could have 1, 1.24, 1.88, etc.

Op amps don’t amplify current alone. They are tiny tiny tiny compact transistor circuits that when put in the right circuit can amplify.

From my understanding it’s volts that are converted into sound by vibrating a magnetic or such.

That’s all I know though

>> No.9363409

>>9363358
well.. I was wondering what causes this noise. and also how do you express amplification mathematically. I guess i just need to read a concise book on electrical signals mostly relating to audio processing.

>> No.9363453

>>9363338

You amplify power, then choose whether you want that to be a voltage or a current increase by your design of circuit. Speakers are current devices: the variation in current moves the coil in a magnetic field.

Truly Digital speakers are an array of many speakers that are concentric or in a grid array that are either on or off depending on their bit value.

What passes for digital speakers and are sold as digital speakers are just speakers that accept a digital signal then turn them into analog. Each speaker has its own amplifier and ability to convert digital information into sound.

>> No.9363496

>>9363409
If you're really up for the challenge, read art of
electronics. If that's too hard, go to /ohm/ on /diy/; I get the sense from your posts that you might lack traditional physics education in regards to E&M. For the next time though, google your question, then visit /sqt/. Making a whole thread isn't worth it.