[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 223 KB, 1000x1293, 1482110349327.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9351807 No.9351807[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Does anyone know how reliably you can estimate IQ from combined verbal + quant scores on the GRE? saw the IQ thread but never took an IQ test so I'm curious

>> No.9351808

>>9351807
it does seem like a good predictor

>> No.9351819

>>9351807
I read that the GRE is meant to be really easy, like 90% of the questions are meant to be answerable by anyone who got through a university education. The other 10% are random related topics that a particular student may or may not have taken, to give extra points to those who seem to be slightly more knowledgeable.

That doesn't sound like a good intelligence test to me.

>> No.9351873

>>9351819
I can't tell if you're trolling or just uninformed but opinionated, so I'll assume you're serious
Scores on the general GRE are normally distributed, as they are with any standardized test
This means that most students (the average) score somewhere around the middle, and very few score very high or very low.
And since the general GRE measures both verbal and quantitative ability, it is very likely that a significant proportion of the variation in GRE scores is predictable by variation in IQ scores. Hence my question

>> No.9351894

>>9351819
it's a sufficiency test. if you're going into an academic discipline, chances are it's like you said for you, because you're already at the top

>> No.9351906

>>9351807
i saw a web page somewhere with a chart
http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/greiq.aspx

i found it interesting because my sat score and gre score both predict my iq

141 IQ
1440(720V/720Q) SAT I predicts 140.73
166V/164Q new GRE converts to old GRE score of 700V/660Q predicting 139.75

So
"works on my machine"

>> No.9351931

>>9351894
you can say the same about LSAT, but it still allows you to rank test takers, no? it's not about your actual score, but rather how your score compares to other people's.
>because you're already at the top
no. in fact, half of all test takers will do worse than average...i'll let you figure out why...

>>9351906
thanks for the info. it's good to see someone confirm their predicted score.

>> No.9351944

>>9351906
>1440 SAT
>140 IQ
Iol

>> No.9351984

GRE is maybe helpful but there are limitations. I wouldn't line them all beside one another broadly, but within a discipline.

for example, if you're in physics or math, you're doing mathematical manipulations all the time. On average I'd expect math or physics grad hopefuls to be more proficient in quick math than your average bio student, who takes calc 2 and literally stops doing math for the rest of undergrad. All bio tests are knowledge based paragraphs and sentences with 1 word in the wrong place or some logical fallacy. For that reason I'd expect bio to have higher verbal than say math students.

Obviously GRE math is incredibly easy, but interpreting and working out math, especially knowing how to set up a problem, comes easier if that's a large part of what you already do. I wouldn't call a Fine Arts student dumb because they got 50% quant. Do they even know how to work with exponents? That's knowledge not intelligence. BUT, if the area is within their focus (eg Verbal), I would expect them to score slightly higher.

If within your group you got higher or lower, that might be a stronger indicator of ability than overall. But if you got particularly high scores in both, you're probably smart anyway. You might find more correlations among certain majors (like I hear Physics tends to score both good quant and verb), I dunno, but in a nutshell I think if you want IQ use IQ

>> No.9351988

>>9351906
I heard you shouldn't convert new GRE to old GRE for IQ, like different testing means it's less reliable or something

>> No.9352777

shouldn't be at least be some moderate discrepancy since (in general as far as I know) people study for the GRE but not IQ tests?