[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 153 KB, 699x472, 1391194986876.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9341798 No.9341798 [Reply] [Original]

Don't know if you guys have heard, but high lead content in children's blood is extremely detrimental, correlated with lower IQ, developmental issues, violent crime, etc. all later in life. Prevention is the best treatment. Help me think of innovative new ways of prevention/ testing/ anything to help! My research depends on a good idea, and society depends on continued progress!

>> No.9341804

Because lead used to be heavily used in industry and in gasoline, city centers are massive deposits of lead at this point. The old homes with lead paint that formed the start of the city are also located at the center. People are massively affected there. I'm thinking of some sort of outreach program to get patients in to get tested? Many impoverished don't have a consistent primary care physician, which is the number one way elevated blood lead levels are detected to begin with. So outreach would definitely help. Any concrete infrastructure ideas with regards to outreach?

>> No.9341855

>>9341798
>high lead content in children's blood is extremely detrimental
... also mercury.
https://www.cdc.gov/biomonitoring/Mercury_FactSheet.html

>> No.9341871

>>9341798
Best way to prevent lead exposure in children?
Vote the GOP out of office!

>> No.9341880

>>9341855
Yup! heavy metals in our bloodstream = not good

>> No.9341889

>>9341871
I hope your children swallow enough lead paint chips to fill a Lays party size bag, and consequently developed a BLL of over 50 micro grams per deciliter and become more retarded than they would be if they had 6 extra chromosomes and shared their parent's same propensity to eat his own shit and spew it out as an opinion. Stick to the topic please (:

>> No.9341899

Heavy metals disrupt the electron transport chain in cellular respiration. At least, I know that's true for arsenic.

>> No.9341918

so heavy metal lead to violent behaviour hmmm

>> No.9341935

find product's made of lead that would be more profitable if made by cheaper safer metals. corporations and governments wont change unless it's profitable. it's not out of negligence, everyone is between a rock and a hard place on this planet unless they think outside the box.

>> No.9341940

i mean there's still prolly so many buildings full of Asbestos in at least the u.s. people would literally vomit. no one cares, they give their kids soda for breakfast here ffs. see it everyday. YOLO

>> No.9341960

>>9341935
unfortunately (err fortunately) products being made out of lead isn't really the issue anymore. Sure, the occasional batch of Chinese toys slips through undetected, but for the most part it's lead that's left over in paint and pipes in old homes, and in the soil which children then put in their mouths. Your comment still applies in the developing nations, who find it unfair that they are asked not to use the same toxic shortcuts we did to achieve economic prosperity, but who gives a fuck about them. Let em get lead poisoning if they want it so bad

>> No.9342209
File: 62 KB, 645x729, 1510866092312.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9341889
>Pay no attention to the party trying to kill the EPA

>> No.9342664

>tfw childhood lead poisoning
I wonder what my potential really was

>> No.9342682
File: 75 KB, 780x438, 160628084826-map-nrdc-water-quality-report-01-exlarge-169-CNN[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How about fixing aging water infrastructure that has high levels of lead? Most places aren't bad enough to get a big news story about it like Flint but a lot of places in America have above the legal limits of lead in the tap water.

>> No.9342701

>>9341889
Remember How we started the EPA becuase we were experiencing frequent acidic rain due to the lead in our gasoline? Remember that the GOP is now trying to destroy the EPA becuase "regulation is bad"?

>> No.9342702

>>9342682
If you don't like your tap water buy water from another company then. That's how capitalism works.

>> No.9342933

>>9341798
You say
>high lead content in children's blood is extremely detrimental
which would imply that you believe that high lead content causes these symptoms yet you only show a correlation of violent crime which can be explained by the first comment
>city centers are massive deposits of lead
and it is known[math]^1[/math] that urban centers have higher crime then avg.

I'm not saying that lead can't be a factor in any one of these symptoms but this is just bad science on a science board so kys brainlet.

sources (literaly 3 sec on google and 1 minute reading)
http://theipti.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02 /covariance.pdf [math]^1[/math]

>> No.9342945

>>9342702
The way capitalism works is that companies keep selling lead filled water until the government forces them to stop because consumers and news agencies wont care unless it gets absurdly bad to the point that the water is actually turning orange.

If you ask most people they will not think their tap water has unsafe levels of lead, but a lot of them would be wrong. It's impossible for people to "vote with their wallet" if they are completely ignorant that there's even a problem in the first place. And just to be clear, if a consumer isn't aware of a problem that does not mean there is no problem.

>> No.9343073

>>9342933
Go leave us this is a cesspool.

>> No.9343136

>>9342945
>until the government forces them to stop
What do you live in some Bernie voter fantasy world?