[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 54 KB, 1200x903, 1482880403755.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9319264 No.9319264 [Reply] [Original]

I just timed myself, /sci/. I can read at 700 WPM. How can you monkeys even compete?

Note: Less than one in one-thousand adults can read 600 WPM in their native, fluent language.

>> No.9319272

Congrats. You can absorb Jewish propaganda faster than any of us.

>> No.9319303

>>9319264
You have to read? I just have to look at a book to fully understand it.

>> No.9319444

There are people out there that unironically read? As in you scan your eyes over a book to understand its content?
I guess someone has to be the trash man or the janitor...
Ive always just taken a smell of the book, and used the smell to determine ink content and organization of ink within the book, comprehending its entirety in about 0.58 seconds (ive timed myself since childhood, still getting faster!). Im surprised such archaic beings have figured out internet access!

>> No.9319450

I decided its not worth spending time learning to read fast, since a bottleneck is understanding a text because i dont read brainlet writings.

>> No.9319649

>>9319264
Hilarious metric, brainlet. You need to combine that with a comprehension score for it to have any meaning at all. I was reading 2000wpm when I was 12 with 85% comprehension. I'm now down to about 120wpm with 99% comprehension (depending on the material). The slowdown was deliberate - showing off is for fuckwads.
TLDR: Reading quickly is only good if you understand and retain the knowledge.

>> No.9319721

Y'all can read? Lucky...

>> No.9319749

another day, another dipshit autist brainlet who thinks he's a fucking genius because an online quiz says so.

if you're so fucking smart write a book, get a doctorate, win fucking a nobel prize. no one gives a fuck that some test on the internet says that you're smart.

>> No.9319858

>>9319264
Yeah, and you retain 5-10% of it. My WPM changes depending on the book. If it's some genre fiction shit, it really doesn't matter if I read it really fast, the concepts are easy to grasp and follow. If it's a philosophy text, or a non-introductory textbook, I'm going to read more deliberately. Even review what I've just read after a chapter/section, and re-read some.

>> No.9319879

>>9319264
That doesn't really mean much though. What matters is your comprehension and retention of the text.

>> No.9319908

>>9319858
>Yeah, and you retain 5-10% of it.
Not OP, someone who has never subvocalized in his life. At top speeds, which is usually between 1k and 2k I can retain 80 ish percent of the text.

Of course, as the text gets more complex, the reading speed slows down considerably, but that's true for anyone.

People, try not reading it out loud in your head. Just find some training to stop subvocalization and it will be great for simpler texts and scanning over texts to find things.