[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 538 KB, 883x912, 582df76221b559de0536a2c2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9306365 No.9306365 [Reply] [Original]

Is crispr really that revolutionary, and if so, how?

>> No.9306370

>>9306365
Yes. I assume you don't know quite a bit about it, so here's a fun video that sums it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAhjPd4uNFY

>> No.9306375

It targets specific sequences in a way that Just Werks. It's something we've been trying to do for decades. It's an advance on par with PCR for its transformative potential on research.

>> No.9306380

>>9306375
So it's not that much of a development?

>> No.9306433

>>9306365
Yes, it involves targeted gene editing and when coupled with a retrovirus, could potentially be used to change a humans DNA long after they are born. Its basically the most important breakthrough in curing genetic illnesses that there ever will be. Which is crazy because up until now, all genetic disorders were pretty much just something you had to deal with. There are treatments available for things like chrons disease but they are only temporary measures and doctors know its only going to get worse for the patient as time goes on. If CRISPR takes off like we think it will, curing Chrons disease will be just as easy as getting a flu shot, and it will be a cure not a temporary treatment. We could even use it for things that arent disorders like improving athletic ability, or intellect, provided moral fags dont get all “muh jesus wouldnt like this” on us. Which you know they will.

>> No.9306476

Yes you'll have the moral fags bitching about it, but they will not be the ones who prevent it from being commonplace in the western world. The main threat will be those preaching equity and Marxism. Majority of American democrats will be against it and they will have an ally in the Christian conservatives. What will happen is a ban or limited access. The end result? Only the extremely rich will get it because they can go to other countries. For it to become easy for your common citizen it will have to be completely legal. I fear the most likely outcome in modification of genetics is the Chinese and other Asian countries having no problem with it and completely leaving most of the western world behind.

To throw in some /pol/, jews won't allow it, and if you don't believe me, pay attention to the first politicians calling for it to be reviewed or limited/banned.

>> No.9306484

>implying I want the inhabitants of Africa, South America and Asia to be cured of all diseases

On the other hand, couldn't you use this to make a virus that would sterilize everyone?

>> No.9306503
File: 24 KB, 400x400, wow your intelliegence is splattered all over my face.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9306365
>>9306370
>>9306375
>>9306433
>>9306476
>>9306484

>Targets specific sequences in a way that Just Werks.

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA MY FUCKING SIDES.

Listen, I know this board isn't really known for backing shit up with sources, but come on. CRISPR is fucking over hyped.

I've designed guide RNA's for genetic engineering, as well as target sequences for biochemical pathways using the more conventional methods such as PCR. The genetic engineering platforms I've consistently used are prokaryotes (spoilers, they're simpler than mammalian cells) and I won't get more specific than that. Lets just say CRISPR just doesn't fucking work sometimes, and its generally fucking garbage unless you're repeating something that has been proven to work a million times as part of a routine.

CRISPR works about half the time you need it to and 75% of the time its just trash with low effeciency. The only good thing about it is that most of the reagents are cheap.

Something much better will come down the pipe soon, I assure you.

>> No.9306504

Yes. This is why biology in 10 years will be what CS is now, along with the reversible aging.

>> No.9306508
File: 285 KB, 3024x4032, 23715316_10210770480274942_1646039878_o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9306365
the really cool thing about CRISPRcas9 system is that it has endless application limited by our creativity

It's a protein that is guided by an RNA strand to a complimentary sequence on the DNA. RNA strands can by synthesised in a laboratory for relatively cheap, so you can target virtually any sequence
Wildtype CRISPRcas9 will cut the DNA, however as it is a protein so it can easily be modified and that's where the really cool shit starts

Scientists have already synthesised a mutant CRISPRcas9 that is inactive in a sense that it no longer cuts the strands but attaches itself to corresponding sequence. This allows for further modifications such as attaching fluorescent components to visualise exact location of the sequence in a chromosome. Another possibility is to attach promoter proteins to CRISPRcas9 in order to cause over-expression of certain gene. Basically the question now is who will attach cooler shit to CRISPRcas9

>> No.9306512

>>9306508

Dude over expression of genes has been done for years and you don't need CRISPR to do it, you just replace an existing promoter with a better promoter using a double stranded break followed homologous recombination. What you're talking about has been done since PCR was invented.

>> No.9306516

>>9306504

>Yes. This is why biology in 10 years will be what CS is now, along with the reversible aging.
> along with the reversible aging
>reversible aging

Am I on fucking reddit right now? At least you got that first part right, but hooooly shit.

>> No.9306518

>>9306503
>hurr durr CRISPR is never going to get better
Yeah no shit we are bad at a process we just learned, thats what research and development is for. What are you retarded or something?
Also
>sci doesnt cite sources
>uses own credentials that are impossible to verify and likely made up as a source

>> No.9306521

>>9306518

What is codon optimization?

Answer that question, and then tell me how that fucks up CRISPR super hard. It doesn't take much though.

>> No.9306525

>>9306518

Even better, look at these people on research gate talk about optimization and troubleshooting and have no idea what to do most of the time.

https://www.researchgate.net/post/How_can_I_increase_CRISPR_Cas9_targeting_efficiency

>> No.9306554

>>9306476
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/03/20/science/biologists-call-for-halt-to-gene-editing-technique-in-humans.html

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/348/6230/36

>> No.9306563

>>9306365
I just want it to end my family's history of schizophrenia. Then I can feel right about having kids.

>> No.9306690

question,

if a person who is, say, 29 gets modded by crispr to grow into a child, is it still pedophilia to fuck them?

>> No.9306769

>>9306512
yeah but it's cheaper

>> No.9306776

>>9306512
crispr allows for in vivo procedures

>> No.9307190
File: 222 KB, 890x890, 1480298890400.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9306769
>yeah but it's cheaper
If what you're doing is fairly simple, its cheaper. If you have to redesign guide RNA's over and over, and your target sequence isn't working, then the cost adds up quick. Its really only cheaper in certain contexts.

>>9306776
>crispr allows for in vivo procedures
Yes you can induce a latent CRISPR reaction using certain compounds "in vivo" e.g. People use it for systems like "When ITPG is added to the cell culture, cas9 will insert a bunch of terminators in target genes that are necessary for glycolysis, thus halting glycolysis. Alternative metabolic pathways are then forced to turn on in standard lab conditions."

While thats cool and all, I'm pretty sure you are misunderstanding what is happening. You still need to physically insert forien DNA into cells in vitro before you can culture them back in "in vivo" conditions. This takes a while because in order to confirm that any amount of foreign DNA is inserted you need selective markers e.g. "antibitoic resistance genes" Also the effectiveness of CRISPR can depend on the distance of each target gene relative to each other on the chromosome, which can be extremely irritating.

>> No.9307227

>>9306563

Anon, you can give to any biologist/related person in the field,a sample of your spermatozoids and he can use a simple fluorescent technique with the complementary sequence of the asociated genes with schizophrenia and then use a simple citometer to put in one glass the sperm that has the faulty sequence and in another glass the sperm that doesn't.

It's a trivial matter, we have been doing this for years and we don't need CRIPSR-cas9 for that,

>> No.9307250

>>9307227

Yeah anon, walk up to any biologist with a vial of your spunk and tell them you don't schizophrenia in your family anymore. Best place to start is in college classrooms lmao.

Joking aside you can find specialized practices that do that.

>> No.9307253

>>9306365
that picture literally sums it up

>> No.9307277

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/11/human-has-been-injected-gene-editing-tools-cure-his-disabling-disease-here-s-what-you

>> No.9307280

>>9307250

>walk up to any biologist with a vial of your spunk
>Being a biologist means that you will basically manage everyones jizz.
>Didn'tsignupforthis.jpeg.

I saw that in theory, and how specific things can be marked for microscope with simply the complementary DNA/RNA sequence, although I'm figuring that finding the exact cause of squizophrenia in anon's family might be quite a task in itself, sorting the bad gametes do seem like a trivial matter nowadays.

>> No.9307286

>>9307277

Well fuck me, thats cool as fuck.