[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 328 KB, 2048x1373, 123.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9288044 No.9288044 [Reply] [Original]

hey

I am taking a first year c++ programming course. finals are in less than a month but more importantly, i have an assignment due monday and I just am not getting how to code in c++. I don't know any other programming language and for some reason, the textbook im using just doesn't help me understand wtf im supposed to do and why.

Any anons have any textbook recommendations that will literally walk me through every single concept without assuming anything.

>> No.9288049

That's a pretty tough request, anon.

Do you understand C at all?

>> No.9288054

>>9288049
nah ive never taken any programming courses before.

i mean i kinda understand the larger concepts of information hiding and like... once i see someone else do something I understand it but i have difficulty producing original work. idk why. i feel like there is an art to it that im just not getting.

>> No.9288059

Most textbooks assume pretty much nothing. Which leads me to a request. Any anons know a good C++ textbook that isn't 1k pages because it's busy explaining all the trivial shit that any non-brainlet can figure out? Basically an introduction to C++ for someone who is pretty decent at coding and smart.

>> No.9288084

It sounds more like you want a YouTube tutorial. No joke, there are probably some really decent ones on C++.

It's like this:

Assembly language
>Just a list of instructions for the computer to do, like "add," "multiply," "jump," and so on...

C
>Take assembly language and make it look a little more human readable with statements like "if" and "while" and "return."

C++
>Take C and add keywords like "class" and "this" so we can stuff that C code into objects.

Plain C is about as simple as it gets, as far as a programming language goes. Yes, you can make it complicated if you abuse the syntax, but it's very simple if you use it reasonably. Try to learn the important parts of C, like loops, subroutines, and pointers. From there, all you need to do is wrap your brain around the idea of classes and objects and that's C++.

>> No.9288087
File: 1.61 MB, 3840x2160, 1507215943186.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9288044
>not studying programming before enrolling in a course specifically for programming
When will you brainlets learn? This is why most "hobbyists" are underage - they're practising for the future. If you really must learn C++ in a month, you're pretty screwed, but devote all your time to it, and take on some pet projects for C++ in the meantime. Try a few on attached pic. I'd also suggest experimenting with other languages as well, to get a proper mindset for algorithmic thinking, and visiting >>>/g/dpt for more projects can't hurt. If you encounter things you can't solve, try Google, StackOverflow and >>>/g/sqt

I haven't touched a single textbook in my life and I could do the majority on this list. I'm not saying textbooks are useless though.

>> No.9288181

>>9288044
>C++ How To Program by Deitel and Deitel

Bland but you will learn how to code.

>>9288054

That's normal. Most people will struggle thinking like programmer into their second programming course on data structures. Eventually you will get used to working with the basic programming constructs and breaking what you want to do down to them.

>>9288059

All freshman books are 1k long but the important stuff is in the first few chapters. Check out Stroustrup's P:P&P using C++ or C++ Primer by Lippman, Lajoie, and Moo.

>> No.9288445
File: 743 KB, 500x281, 1509828212083.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9288084
>Plain C is about as simple as it gets, as far as a programming language goes.
>Thinking that C is simpler than Python

>> No.9288491

>>9288044
I'm bored. Post your assignment and I'll do it for you

>> No.9288586

>>9288044
The best way to start is to just start trying to make something and looking stuff up when you need to. If you've never programmed before you won't really get it by just reading the book

>> No.9288672

>>9288445
Not him but you're an idiot.

>> No.9288688

>>9288087
>make a c compiler
If you're a white man, you would have already done that

https://youtube.com/watch?v=B5YokNW7tIs

>> No.9288692

>>9288044
have you tried asking the TA?

t. TA that no one asks for help until 1 hour before a project is due

>> No.9288729

>>9288054
This is a normal feeling for noob programmers. I felt like this during my first course too. You'll get better with experience.