[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 306 KB, 1024x768, big-data.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9262649 No.9262649 [Reply] [Original]

what are the current trending programming languages/technological skills to have in the upcoming years with direction technology is heading? i'm teaching myself swift to go into iOS development but unsure if it's a market that's on the downhill

>> No.9262651

Just get really fucking good at assembly then work as an embedded SWE. Job security for days

>> No.9262680

where would be the best place to start getting good at that?

>> No.9262808

>>9262649
Could be a meme, could be some good shit: blockchain related comp Sci

>> No.9262828
File: 161 KB, 612x792, BE A WOMAN.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9262649
>i

>> No.9262837

>>9262649

R and Python, because bioinformatics is the fucking future (particularly genetics/epigenetics).

>> No.9262843

>>9262649
Python and JavaScript are the main, "cool," startup languages. They're spreading into bigger companies all the time.

Java and C++ are popular in enterprise environments.

All I can say about Swift is that I don't work with it and nobody else I know does. There is a market for it, but it isn't nearly as big as Python/JS/Java/C++.

>> No.9262859

>>9262649
>current memes
Neural networks and ml
Blockchain stuff
IoT
>actual stuff that'll most likely stay for longer
Security, every kind. (If iot becomes an actual trend, than embeded sec will be a huge job market.)
Any sort of data "science"
Cloud computing

And persinally I think bioinformatics has a promising future as well. Genomics has been developing very fast in the past years

>> No.9262861

For cutting edge technology, asking purely about programming languages:

If you want to get paid, and don't care if you understand what you're doing: Python

If you want to get paid, and care if you understand what you're doing: C++

The important thing to note is that a programmer shouldn't know a language, that only markets you to recruiters. To get a very high paying job doing something very interesting, you have to know the theories (and often math) behind complex topics. Eg, AI or Machine Learning.

>> No.9262894

IOT is being pushed really hard. Not sure how long it'll last but right now if you have a few years experience with firmware and bluetooth it's not hard to get a six figure job. It's like being a webdev at the height of the .com bubble. Everybody wants to get their toilets and toasters controlled through an app and there aren't enough people with the skill for it.

>> No.9262940

>>9262861
>and care if you understand what you're doing:
>C++

Just to be clear, you're giving "caring if you understand what you're doing" as a prerequisite, right? Because C++ has all kinds of crazy shit that practically nobody understands, even if learning it (and the subset of it that intersects with plain C) is a better way of learning low level programming fundamentals than something like Python. There are plenty of C++ guys why barely have a clue what they're doing.

>> No.9262943

>>9262940
Fuck off >>>/g/

>> No.9262966

>>9262859
>security of any kind
>not including cryptographically secure blockchain currencies