[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 145 KB, 1168x776, sat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9229996 No.9229996 [Reply] [Original]

I have the SAT/ACT coming up soon, and I'm mostly fine except for the math section -- when it comes to math, I'm awful. My parents homeschooled and were really lax, combined with me just being lazy, meaning I just cheated/slacked off completely. I've basically fucked myself over, there. I can (and hope to) learn math well, but not in time for the test.

I don't expect some quick fix to make me "git good at math in one month!". However, I do want to know: is the math section easier on the SAT, or ACT?

>> No.9230003

SAT

>> No.9230010

>>9229996
generally SAT because you can skip questions you dont know without penelty

>> No.9230012

Definitely SAT. ACT is much more science/math based

>> No.9230034
File: 69 KB, 800x610, does lightning mcqueen get car insurance or life insurance.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9230010
>ACT: Students are awarded points for each question they answer correctly, and no points are deducted for incorrect answers. Even if you feel the need to guess on a question, remember, you will not be penalized if you get it wrong.
It looks like you can skip questions without penalty in the ACT too.

>> No.9230037

I got a perfect score on the ACT and some not-perfect score on the SAT (I don't remember at this point), but maybe it's easier to score "well" on the SAT while still being harder to get a perfect score, or things have changed over the past 10 years.

>> No.9230038

>>9229996
Idk about the SAT but the ACT only tests up to geometry and algebra ii. If you know SOHCAHTOA and secant cosecant and cotangent you'll be good

T. Got a 35 niggers

>> No.9230078

>>9230038
That's not true.
I worked for several years at a company that prepped students for act/sat.

The math section is nearly identical in both. The sat gives you a cheat sheet though.

The problems are roughly grouped in to 6 categories:
Basic algebra
Geometry
Trigonmetry
Fractions/%/decimals
Coordinate geometry
Algebra 2 (systems of equations,functions)

On each test, there will only be 1-4 questions about coordinate geometry and advanced algebra.

I hated the material we had, so I literally went through 40 years of tests and made my own material.

>> No.9230108

>>9230078
Since you probably know what's good, could you point me to what prep material you recommend?