[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 54 KB, 599x400, fisch4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9229343 No.9229343 [Reply] [Original]

why havent maxwell equations been superceded
by something more modern?
how high is the probability, that 19th century experiments and vector calculus delivered everything necessary to formulate essential electrodymanics? it seems like a huge coincidence.

>> No.9229349

>>9229343
What a retarded fucking question. Consider suicide.

>> No.9229352

>>9229349
holy fuck this so much op.

I literally dont know anything about math beyond high school geometry but just fucking die you idiot.

>> No.9229357
File: 2.94 MB, 266x138, 1461445352502.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9229343
maxwell was the guy who found the final part to the laws of electrodynamics, namely [math] \mu_0 J [/math] and then just presented them nicely (stokes' theorem) to get his name on them

They're empirical laws so i'm not sure what the problem is. they also shoot out relativity when looking at retarded potentials using these equations

other posters are pic related btw

>> No.9229358

>>9229349
>>9229352
why do you react so emotionally?
how come all the fundamental theory was discovered immediately after the experimental domain?
relativistic ED didnt change the fundamental maxwell equations except make them invariant to lorentz transformations.
the plausible thing would be that the first attempt was totally misguided, like with astronomy or quantum theory.

>> No.9229365

>>9229358
>why do you react so emotionally?
I'm not emotional, you're just an idiot.
>how come all the fundamental theory was discovered immediately after the experimental domain?
It wasn't, Maxwell's work was preceded by decades of experimental and theoretical work.
>relativistic ED didnt change the fundamental maxwell equations except make them invariant to lorentz transformations.
Maxwell's equations were already Lorentz covariant before special relativity was formulated. There is no "relativistic ED" because there is no "nonrelativistic ED".
>the plausible thing would be that the first attempt was totally misguided, like with astronomy or quantum theory.
See above.

>> No.9229385

>>9229357
>Maxwell's equations were already Lorentz covariant before special relativity was formulated. There is no "relativistic ED" because there is no "nonrelativistic ED".

wasnt apparent, hence the relativistic reformulation. youre basically agreeing with me but somehow feel the need to correct me.
>See above
circular reasoning.
>because thats how it is lel
great

>> No.9229396

>>9229385
>wasnt apparent, hence the relativistic reformulation. youre basically agreeing with me but somehow feel the need to correct me.
You said that "relativistic ED" made Maxwell's equations "invariant to Lorentz transformations" which is just wrong.
>circular reasoning.
Pointing out that Maxwell's equations were not the first thing anyone ever said about the mathematical formulation of electrodynamics and are instead the result of incredible amounts of work is not circular reasoning and I have no idea how you could come to that conclusion.
>>because thats how it is lel
>great
I do not recall writing anything like this.

>> No.9229401

>>9229343
>why havent maxwell equations been superceded

They have measurable corrections.