[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 243 KB, 1920x1056, IMG_0269.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9220684 No.9220684 [Reply] [Original]

Has anyone been interested in TDA?

I'm an applied math/stats PhD student thinking of doing my dissertation on it (for neuroscience, just because that's what my school's into).

I really think Topology's the future of understanding complex systems and has a leg up on statistics-based machine learning and even stochastic calculus that relies on probability distributions.

I really think Topology will pave new frontiers in ecology, climate science, neuroscience, and economics.

>> No.9220733

>>9220684
All this said, if you think that topological analysis of large data sets is cool, then do it man. But you're going to push-out derivative garbage if your motivation is to apply sexy sounding words to problems you don't care about. The way to have real insight is to ask good questions. Don't start with how you want to answer something, start with what you want to answer.

>> No.9220742

>>9220733
aw shit, it cut off the first part where I talked a bunch of shit. Here's a summary:

None of what you said is meaningful. Why do you think topology is the future of data science? cause it sounds smart? Persistent homology has been around for years now and nothing really got revolutionized, and that sounds smart as shit. Also you clearly don't know what stochastic calculus is.

>> No.9221041

>>9220684
literally, how the fuck i'm supposed to interpret this shit.
they've had similar ones on their site

>> No.9221144

This is cool as fuck, but it doesn't appear to have been applied to many fields other than higher math

>> No.9221149

>>9220684
>Topological Data Analysis
>>9221144
>cool as fuck,

It has many applications, specially in Data Science (Computational Statistics)

Eletrical Engineering (muh Circuits)
Computer Science (muh Computer Networks)
Civil Engineering (muh Transportation systems)
Sociology (muh Facebook & Twitter Friends Social Networks)
Business (muh Linkedin networking)
Biology (muh Ecology, Evolution & Medicine)

>> No.9221154
File: 628 KB, 2159x1640, Brain Circuits.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9220684 >>9221144 >>9221149
It can be applied to Computational Neurology.
To make AIs (by Neural Networks) & simulate a Brain (Computer Model called Connectome)

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opqIa5Jiwuw

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u28ijlP6L6M

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connectome

>> No.9221161

You're right OP. Topology chaos for blockchain sharding

>> No.9221355

>>9221161
I have no idea what topology chaos or block chain sharding is

But I'm glad I got replies to my thread and /sci/ talked about something besides IQ for once...seriously what the fuck

>> No.9221506

>>9221355
Well everyone should tell vitalik because every professional in the world is running around with their heads cut off
and I've been about this life since a decade ago. I just though people were already doing this shit on the darkweb... turns out I overestimated a lot of what was happening on the dark web. Unfortunately, that's why I missed out on bitcoin

Intelligence....
the "smarter" you are the more you realize you're not smart, you've just invested your emotions differently.

people that are "people smart"
are actually "chaos" smart. chaos in the very specific context of culture and human psychology. Their heuristics are adapted to account for systems of people, not perfectly predictable components.

>> No.9221530

>>9220684
Yo, applied dude. I have a problem here: suppose you have a set of points connected by joints, the length of joints is fixed. I can vary rotation matrixes between joints to get positions of those. How do I sample positions of the whole chain uniformly?