[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 131 KB, 1431x1409, 1501006646151.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9082541 No.9082541[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Anyone else think their job is fucking boring?

I make pretty decent money at about 82k as an electrical engineer but I still feel like I'm stuck in a rut. The work is boring honestly and my pain at work is only compounded by there being literally NO women at my workplace. Just a bunch of old crusty men and haggards.

I honestly feel I should have been a male nurse guys. Engineer work isn't really what it's cracked up to be.

>> No.9082543

>>9082541
I'm only 24 btw guys, I feel like I can still pursue other venues once I save up a little more.

>> No.9082551

> le engineers earn good money so its worth getting a shit watered down physics + math degree
Suck it up loser maybe you should have studied harder in HS to get into a better course fuckhead

>> No.9082552

>>9082541
You're either lying to yourself about your sexual preferences or you chose the wrong career and should get out as soon as possible regardless of how old you are.

>> No.9082554

>complaining about a workplace without women
I envy you anon.

>> No.9082558

>>9082551
And earn less money while being a grant baby?

>> No.9082559

These chicks look like something you would find in a IHOP in West Virginia on a Friday night.

>> No.9082574

>>9082541
82k is trash anon, this isn't the early 80s. If you're not making over 250k you're slacking and need to make a career move. Undergrad in Electrical engineering, graduate in Systems Engieering here.

>> No.9082582

>>9082574
82k is high for the cost of living in my state.

I'm sorry you live in a shithole where rent is 2000 a month

>> No.9082591

>>9082541
You shouldn't be meeting women for dating purposes at work anyway. I avoid that shit like the plague.

And I enjoy being an engineer. Of course EE is boring, it's tedious as fuck. Should have went with civil.

>> No.9082593
File: 166 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault (3).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9082541
>job is fucking boring ... The work is boring.
Perfect candidate for Elon Musk's Boring Company.

>> No.9082594

>>9082541
Fug, any more of the girl in the middle?

>> No.9082606

>>9082594
Found the feminist

>> No.9082612
File: 50 KB, 450x299, CASF8627.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I learned long ago that my joy in life is eroding faster than I can enjoy it. I am only briefly entertained by novelties and the fleeting instances of childlike wanderlust when the clouds of existential terror break away in the warm light of the sun. Then I can clearly see the love that connects me to the life I have grown so far apart from.

>> No.9082614

>by there being literally NO women at my workplace

Why do you want that?

>work in small consulting firm (30ish people)
>all project managers are women
>all engineers are men
>all women irrespective of age and looks go after that one engineer that is a Chad
>Chad doesn't want them because they are below his league
>they still ignore everyone else and keep trying to flirt with Chad, even simultaneously, sometimes.

>> No.9082640

>>9082552
Not OP but what do you do if your degree has little lateral movement.
I work as a pharmacist and want to blow my brains out every day.
Plan atm is save as much money as I can while the money is good and leave when the market implodes.

>> No.9082648

>>9082640
Market implodes for pharmacy? How?

>> No.9082651

>>9082614
>all project managers are women
Jesus christ

>> No.9082658

>>9082640
Shit ton of graduates being pumped out every year.
Our reimbursement is way down.
Retail pharmacies basically lose money on most prescriptions filled due to middle men negotiation.

>> No.9082675

>>9082651

Just to be clear, they are glorified secretaries. They don't handle anything technical.

>> No.9082683

Boredom is the highest luxury money can afford.
t. wise anon

>> No.9082696

>>9082551
Isn't it harder to get into engineering from HS compared to the hard sciences? In general aren't professional majors more difficult to get into?

>> No.9082705
File: 186 KB, 500x279, asdf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9082541
This is why I left applied math. Sure, the money is great, but the work is drudgery. It feels like you sold your soul. I'd rather make 70k doing whatever the fuck I want than 100k plugging data sets into R all day.

>my pain at work is only compounded by there being literally NO women at my workplace

Protip: never date coworkers

>> No.9082730

first week in my new IT job
I literally do nothing
tfw hot as fuck girls everywhere near me
everywhere chads too
the chads talk to me as if I am one of them
but I'm some chubby nerd virgin with a small dick

I started hitting the gym tho
maybe I can become a chad too
can chads have small dicks?

>> No.9082749

>>9082541
Come to Poland and become an alcoholic like me. It is way more fun. They become literally desperate sending you all kinds of whores trying to desperately avoid you killing yourself or something like that.

>> No.9082758

>>9082696
ya that kid is just rtarded, in cali engi courses by far have the highest cut off to get into
By that I'm not saying they're the most difficult rather they're competitive

>> No.9082764

>>9082758
this guy is probably right, but Poland has vodka, and really short and tight young girls. In cali you would probably get crucified by some sect for enjoying that.

>> No.9082772

Should have went with the RF/analog/mmw engineering master race desu.

>> No.9082777

>>9082541
why the fuck would you want women in the workplace? Let me guess, you think that your job would become some significant source of dates for you. It wouldn't.

What would happen is a bunch of incompetent bitches would stab you in the back.

Go try to meet women some other way, if you really want to. I still discourage it because women are despicable, but at least you won't be jeopardizing your career.

>> No.9082790

>>9082541
Want to switch life with me ? I want a boring easy job where i can complete everything in 2 days then spend the rest of the week fucking around.
Also try to get to know "crusty old men", if you share an hobby with one of them you hit jackpot.
>>9082772
You have to be really good to get a job in analog now, since they are switching almost everything to digital.
RF and mmw are even more tedious than other branches imo.

>> No.9082795

>>9082541
Nice butts

>> No.9082842

>>9082790
Yeah I guess...it was pretty easy to get job offers for me and others I know, but I guess my masters program focused on taping out chips and heavily focused on job placement

>> No.9082853

>>9082541
Biofag here, better stop fucking whining about having men in your field. Bio has like 50% women, and while they're not typical annoying stacies with """management""" positions, they can never have autistic male hobbies, meaning you have absolutely nothing in common to talk with. And the males in the field are either pseudo-chads or serial killer-tier autists. I WISH there were more middle-autist computer nerds to talk shit with.

Although I guess people will find problems to complain about no matter what their situation, self included, so I can't blame you.

>> No.9082865

>>9082554
>>complaining about a workplace without women
>I envy you anon.
When I did an Internship drafting with AutoCAD I shared the room with accountant ugly women for a few months.
Women are always Whining, bitching, gossiping & complaining.
When the Period/menstruation comes they become angry, hysteric, mad, complaining all day about cramps & triggered by anything.
Men It was fucking annoying. I tolerate my GF because she is cute & I love my GF. But these ugly coworker women were fucking annoying.

>> No.9082892

>>9082559
No, they look like girls you'd be too intimidated to talk to outside a bar in Minneapolis. Get out more.

>> No.9082898

I'm a paramedic, and bored, and generally hate lithos life.

>> No.9082907
File: 35 KB, 225x350, 258807.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9082554
I want to work with this girl in my Lab. Kurisu.
>from Stein's; Gate.

>> No.9082948

>>9082853
should have went into field/theoretical bio
field bio girls are cool, and theoretical biology is a mans world

>> No.9082954

>>9082541
>Wanting women on the workplace
If you actually had some you'll know.

>> No.9082959

>>9082948
Girls in biology in general are passable, they have decent personalities for the most part, but boring for the most part, as with the majority of women.

I'm not sure what you mean by theoretical biology though, like integrative systems bio or something like that?

The reason I wouldn't consider field or theoretical is because experimental lab work is where the results that make a difference are obtained. But lab work is quite tedious as well. I might consider bioinformatics in that case.

>> No.9082967

These chicks have been BLACKED?

>> No.9082974

>>9082853
fuck I can relate

>> No.9083001

>>9082541
I'm a doctor, in my country women are preferentially employed and my specialty is a female-heavy one, plus the nurses are also mostly female or gay.
It's one reason I'm considering radical lifestyle changes.
They are almost never interested in the subject matter at hand, which funnily is about the well-being of other people, but are almost always interested in their social relations, their social standing, and how they can win allies and destroy enemies. Also they talk all day about bullshit, can't bear silence. You have to concentrate on the job and on keeping them happy, because if they feel abandoned, they turn against you. But if you pay them too much attention, they consider you less valuable. And you cannot avoid their physical proximity nor having to deal with them because of how the work is organised. C'est énervant.

>>9082777
This is truth.

>>9082865
Also this.

>> No.9083042

>>9083001
DR DICK GIVE ME ADVICE, IM THE PHARMACY FAG.
LET US LEAVE HEALTHCARE AND TAKE ME FAR AWAY.

>> No.9083050

>>9083001
Bah oui mais en même temps si tu fais pédiatre ou gynéco faut pas s'étonner non plus.

>>9083042
Maybe switch to research, clerk-fag ?

>> No.9083054

>>9083001
You sound like a fucking loser no offense

>> No.9083055

>>9083001
FUCCCKKK. All I wanna do is be a doctor and not wanna kill myself. This is not inspiring.

>> No.9083063

>>9083042
Yes I would like that but where else am I going to earn this much money? I'm 30 and feel like I don't have so many options left. Also one perk of my work contract is exquisite social goodies such as childcare paid by employer for 3 years (guess the country?).

>> No.9083065

>>9083054
Made me reply

>>9083055
Don't do it

>> No.9083068

>>9083063
Consulting my man.
I'm guessing you live in a nordic country by the way.

>> No.9083075

>>9082541
Math major here working in the technology sector. I don't want to get into the details but I already quit and soon I will be out. Getting a normal job was a mistake and now I am immediately going into academia. I am going to get paid only a fraction of what I earn but at least it will be fun and after I get my PhD I can expect my income to rise a lot.

Feels good man.

>> No.9083087

>>9082541

You're wrong to want women as co-workers. Your feelings are wrong. Ironically, most straight men past about 25 or so understand the hazards and undesirability of actually working with women.

When you're at job, what you want is simply to complete the work. Women get in the way of this by: gossiping, inserting their personal drama into the workplace in subtle ways, and when they're young and attractive, creating a disruptive environment where all the men either unconsiously or explicitly compete for their attention, even if they're not actually trying to fuck her, it's still a status-pissing match that gets in the way of work. Not to mention that dating coworkers is so stupid that many companies are right to have on-paper policies against it.

>> No.9083097

>>9083068
I'd hate the culture and also it's more hours for smaller median pay.

>>9083087
Truth. But the mating aspect is not as heavy as the chit-chat and games aspect and the generally willfully concentration-disrupting attention-seeking behaviour.

>> No.9083098

>>9082730
>can chads have small dicks?
Yes but you will be a one time Chad. You will become Chad and then get a woman to worship you. You will have the sex of your life but then she'll find out of your small penis and after you are done with her she won't worship you anymore and then she will spread the rumor.

The best you can do is hit the clubs with your Chad body as different groups of women show up every night but remember that every time you have sex you are immediately turning off that woman and all her friends from having sex with you. You need to meet new women at all times. I suggest you get a bunch of different hobbies and get a map of every club in town so that you can rotate a bit.

>> No.9083122
File: 48 KB, 230x297, OldSchoolAncestralRobes.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9082551
I mean, if you call being able to actually create something useful with the physics & math knowledge "watered down," which you're free to do.

I came from a physics degree and went into engineering after a couple of years because I wound up doing a bunch of DIY projects at home and found the process to be fun and interesting to me, especially at the end when I had a little gadget that worked. A large chunk of the engineering curriculum was covered in my physics curriculum, yes, but there's a lot about the application of physics that just doesn't come to light without black-boxing some of its principles.

Case and point is the thread at >>9073565 where he was trying to get a better grasp on physics to do the very thing that got me into engineering. Maxwell's equations and particle physics don't tell you anything about how to build a circuit, but the engineers can bring the magic of physics from the paper into the real world. The physicists discover the runes, and the engineers write the spells.

>> No.9083126

>>9082614
>Be me
>good looking face but overweight, probably a 6.5/10 on a good day
>get hired on to a smallish firm of around 80 people
>literally 1 of 2 men under 30
>literally one of 10 not obese
>be the only one in our department that wears slacks and a dress shirt instead of autism jeans and old polls

The 10 or so women I work with are always smiling, holding doors open for me, greeting me when I come in the morning. It's really weird, I have never had this happen to me before.

>> No.9083135

Not Working = Not Functioning
Not Functioning = Mental Illness

This is also true for:
Not Cooperating
Not Being Silent
Not Making Sense To Others
Not Aligning With Polical Parties and Religious Institutions
Not Obeying Authoirty

In fact, not doing things is dispruptive, and disruptive behavior is a sign of mental illness.

Also, you can not do things either.
You can not think.
You can not feel.
You can not yell.
You can not cry.
You can not hit your own property.
You can not touch your own body.
You can not protest.

Obey.

'Give me liberty or give me death' are the words of a madman having a breakdown.

Obey. Obey. Obey.

- The American Psychiatric Association

>> No.9083142

>>9083075
>Getting a normal job was a mistake
why

>> No.9083171

>>9083142
Because I had already tasted academia. It was a mistake to think that I could go back to being a normal person. I had already done undergrad research, I had already kinda collaborated with my professors (more like they advised me on what to do after I showed them my results but you get the idea) and I already knew how working in research felt.

1) You take an interest in something, usually by reading a book that presents interesting problems
2) You explore it
3) Then either you find nothing important and move on to another thing (which doesn't hurt you because it was fun) or you find something interesting and then you write about it and show to your professors and get infinite praise.

Not only that but I had also been invited to give classes in topics I had excelled at so I also had a taste on what teaching at a university was like. And I had even been invited to talks where I sat next to a bunch of professors to listen to the speaker about their state of the art research. Basically even though I was still an undergrad, I already had a taste of what being a professor would be and it was fun. It was safe, but it was not stressful and I could meet and talk a lot of people with similar interests.

But a normal job is not like this. At the beginning it may feel like this because when you start you usually get assigned someone who shows you what the company does and teaches you a lot of new things. Then you start doing things that for you are completely new but then after a month or two you are still doing the same thing. Old work usually piles up and then comes the stress. Then comes having to play politics with your boss and your co-workers so that you can stay afloat because if you do not play politics then everything that goes wrong is blamed on you and then you are fucked forever.

Research is never like this. Terence Tao says his research takes like 6 months and in this time he tries a bunch of new things, instead of just repeating an old thing.

>> No.9083175

>>9083171
Sounds nice if that's how it is in your field.

In my field
1.) Read papers by the big guys
2.) Do the same thing in green at much lower quality
3.) Aggressively try to publish it high-impact with ferocious tenacity

Doing something new or daring would be much too high-risk. This is a business, someone's gonna pay for this, so the low-hanging fruit is all you can go for. Other people publish in journals with 1 impact factor point, at least you're not them.

>> No.9083178

>>9083171
I agree and that's the same reason I wanted to be a researcher. I'm almost done with Phd and will get getting a govt research job in teh next year. I am still debating govt research vs trying to be a professor but it just doesn't seem worth it to stress for 5-7 more years about getting tenure

>> No.9083185

>>9083175
>2.) Do the same thing in green at much lower quality
Why would you do something that has already been done?

Wouldn't it be better to do the things they didn't do but are related to their topic so that you can build on that and perhaps leech off of their reputation by contributing to their research?

>>9083178
Well, good for you. You seem to be at the end of your PhD and I am just about to start. My biggest fear is that perhaps in the years it takes me to finish I will lose the spark I had with mathematics but if you already went through all that and you are still feeling it then perhaps I will be fine too.

I mean, if I think back of when I was starting my undergrad and compare with how I am today I'd say that now I am much more willing to spent long hours doing math for fun than I was back then so perhaps this trend will continue and I'll end up like Erdos and die just after I finish exposing my proof for a famous conjecture.

>> No.9083191

Lol looks like you found that picture of Backpage

>> No.9083238

>>9082967
they've probably been piped by every single size, shape and complexion there is

>> No.9083241

>>9083185
Because you do it slightly differently.
It's like in the startup scene. Nobody wants to risk something completely new. You take a tested and proven idea and change it just as much as necessary for it to be appropriately "new". Therefore you can get the work done cheaply and it's lower-risk.

>> No.9083255

>>9083241
That's okay but then another thing you could do is explore new ideas that are backed/approved by your professors. That way you get published on the merit of their reputation.

>> No.9083327

>>9082593
>Earth is still in its young, lively phase of 'thin crust floating on an orb of molten metal'.
>Earthlings want to drill transportation tubes through this thin crust and expect them to be stable.
>Dying under miles of rock, abandoned because it costs too much money to dig you out.

Elon, this will be a wasted investment except in the most geologically stable of regions. Should be pretty fun and cool at least.

>> No.9083576

>>9083065
Then what do I do?

>> No.9083939

>>9082541
>Anyone else think their job is fucking boring?
Abso fucking lutely. I hate this shit but I need the money to pursue my real dreams.

>> No.9084072
File: 45 KB, 250x375, 1500967185728.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm a grad student in geochem and I've never had any sort of problem with women in academia or in a workplace (interned at a tech company Chem lab). They were always professional from what I could see. Note: I'm gay so that has probably something to do with it.

>>9083171
What thus anon says is completely true. Maneuvering in a workplace is shit and I find academia much more rewarding.

>> No.9084093

>>9083122
>I mean,
opinion discarded

>> No.9084096

>>9084093
>, which you're free to do.
And he qualifies another person's opinion.

This is a no-bully zone, anon!

>> No.9084137

>>9082541
Objectively, yes my job might be considered boring, but I'm easily entertained. I'm just glad my breaks are plentiful and I can listen to music in the lab.

But OP you should never date coworkers, that's just a disaster waiting to happen. But what you need to do OP is use your experience to get a better job at a bigger (population-wise) company. Any large company with many employees will have some women. Most will be hideous, and none will probably be a good option. That is, better than what you could find elsewhere.

But my point is, if you work at a bigger company, it's more acceptable and possible to date, but only if you work in separate departments. If things go bad and one of you is the other's supervisor or partner things could get real awkward real fast. Not a good idea if you care about your job as your livelihood. Though I've seen it done, it's extremely difficult. Plus what if she meets someone else at work? It's a two-way street.

>> No.9084145

Fuck man just do something that involves women after work if you want to be around women.

>> No.9084174

>>9083171
Yoy can do private Research?

>> No.9085748
File: 96 KB, 425x282, before_interview_yawn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9082551
>HS mattering

>> No.9085766

>>9082541
And what exactly do you do at your job?

>> No.9085775

>>9082612

just wait a for a few more years of the chore and drudgery of "living" the modern life, and you won't even be able to see or feel anything at all anymore.

>> No.9085806

>>9082541
Get into crossfit
Crossfit gyms are filled with willing pussy (go for military chicks, they're all thots)
t. Coached crossfit for 2 years, smashed endlessly

>> No.9085830

>>9083001
I volunteered with a gay male in his 30s that worked for a pharmaceutical ethics company and he said it was terrible as it was 90% female. He took cock up the ass so with the sex appeal out the window he would talk about how the workplace was nothing more than cliques, bitching, and gossiping

He said it was the worst cliches of high school reimagined into his day job everyday. A sausage fest of aspies can in no way be worse than this

>> No.9085835

>>9082541
The king of boring jobs here (Plasterer), ask me anything?

>> No.9085849

>>9085806
I just joined a crossfit gym but I'm still DYEL. I don't see how I can pick up fit girls there at least not for a while since they could easily pick one of the ripped guys

>> No.9085861

>>9085835
i have ocd and I thin kyour job is the BEST

>> No.9085865

>>9085861
Waaaa, I typed wrong! What an imposterous fallacy!

>> No.9085875

>Implying the joy you find in life should come from your job

OP, your job should be a stable source of income and nothing more. Dating women from work is always a bad idea and the idea that fulfillment comes from your job is a fucking meme. Nobody that goes to work will enjoy it forever.

Sounds more like you've got a more general instance of depression. Try taking some time off or doing something in your spare time that isn't browsing image boards. I'm not disparaging you for browsing image boards, only mentioning that it isn't good for overall mental health.

>> No.9085894

>>9085865
>>9085861
Wouldnt reccomend for ocd, I only have around 5 minutes to plaster and sand each gib line. If youre a contracter with not alot of jobs then maybe you can get the perfect spread.

>> No.9085961

>>9082541
>not studying what interests you
Every time I start doubting if a PhD is the right move for me, one of you guys dutifully comes along and reminds me how shit life can be

>> No.9085968

>>9082541
T H I C C
H
I
C
C

>> No.9085989

>WAAAAAA MY JOB IS ''BORING''
get a grip asshole, you know how much shittier your life can be right now?

>> No.9085992

>>9085968

God they're gorgeous. I would crawl up between them cheeks on the right and never come out

>> No.9086052

>>9082551
lighten up, Internet Tough Guy

>> No.9086070

I would take 82k at a boring job over being a meme data scientest and making 38k

>> No.9086186

>>9082541
>The work is boring honestly and my pain at work is only compounded by there being literally NO women at my workplace

Get a new job

>> No.9086190

>>9082541
>not realizing your first 3-5 years of engineering work are paying dues.

>> No.9086366

>>9085992
Like a bear in the winter, I too would like to retreat into that canal and hibernate.

>> No.9086687

>>9083135
You are probably right. And people wonder why I don't want to go "over there"...

>> No.9086694

>>9083055
It is made up to force you go back or to have a mental breakdown, visit psych-ward, become "reprogrammed" and then be forced back on the track afterwards.

But on the other hand that will make the brit mom funds watchers quite wary. They see their own kids potential future in you when they are out watching. Their lifework getting sick, potentially killing themselves. Would risk ruin the whole business model.

>> No.9087649
File: 127 KB, 400x600, cOS2TQZ.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9085989
>lol you're not allowed to be dissatisfied or upset because things could be so much worse
Lol you're not allowed to be satisfied or happy because things could be so much better

>> No.9087949

>>9082551
>studied engineering
>cucked some pure physicsfag out of a job and now work as a physicist
>make engineer-tier money doing more enjoyable physics work
How can pure math/phys fags even compete with engineers?

>> No.9088681

>>9082541
T H I C C
H
I
C
C