[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.93 MB, 460x259, animated think.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9067941 No.9067941 [Reply] [Original]

Everyone here with the smallest scientific education knows there exist rational methods to test scientific theories (logical consistency, experiments, etc.). But is there any rational method to predict the quality of a service or product based on what you know before buying it? Or are Amazon ratings of chink electronics and comments of isolated fuckups in restaurants the best tools we have to this day?

>> No.9067949

Which are worse, think_emoji posters or gorilla posters?

>> No.9067957

>>9067949
Really makes me think.

>> No.9067960

>>9067949
Gorilla posters sometimes make funny threads and are native to imageboards. Emoji threads are done by outsiders from Facebook, Twitter etc with >100 IQ.

>> No.9067962

>>9067960
Shit I meant *<100 IQ. Fixed.

>> No.9068051

Seriously though, has anyone ever tried this?

>> No.9069118

As I understand it, they don't rely on "absolute quality assurance" rather than a "relative" or "apparent" quality to the specific user. Amazon and Netflix, for example, have made hugeninvestments in algorithms for predictions custom tailored for their clients. Thwy use all the search hystory and their likes to select the next product they might like. Now, this is not based on an objective method, rather completely subjective because it deoends on thw user's preferences.

>> No.9069121

Difficult to measure when most of the time people are rating subjective elements. But there are analytical tools, sites like review meta that look at all the reviews of a product and give you a probability of how legit the reviews are.