[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 14 KB, 180x272, 9780195326574.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9067804 No.9067804 [Reply] [Original]

examples
>"The Philosophy of Shadows. Roy Sorensen
Shadows appear to be counterexamples to the causal theory of perception. After all, an absence of light cannot reflect light into our eyes."
>"What is it like to be a bat?" is a paper by American philosopher Thomas Nagel
>can one hear the shape of a drum?
anti-science bullshit

>> No.9067806
File: 26 KB, 367x411, 1500317691820.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.9067809

>>9067804
So how do you respond to those? Other than calling for the abolition of philosophy? Are you intimidated?

>> No.9069334

>>9067809
Why not be practical and ask what has philosophy achieved the last 20 years?

>> No.9069344

>>9069334
Why not be honest and ask what have you achieved in the last 20 years?

>> No.9069345
File: 511 KB, 3024x4032, goat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9067804

can one hear the shape of a drum is a mathematics problem dumbass

>> No.9069370

In my honest opinion: philosophy should be tested, and testable.
I think someone like Kant - for example - actually tried to do something scientific (for lack of a better word), but many others used philosophy to put forward their opinions or ideas.

That's fine, but it does bother me that there is a sizable part of the population looks up to these people on authorities, of say, human nature.

I'm sure people will stick with getting informed by opinions, philosophical or not, but at least the contemporary field of philosophy should be changing.

Though I do think that people overestimate how much of this old-style 'philosophy' there still is, though from what've seen they are still not fully disappeared. In the Netherlands we have still plenty of public pop-philosophers, who use their privilege and authority to sell their opinions.

Not to say that some scientists aren't doing the same, some of them also use their authority, and with it a sense of credibility, to voice their opinions - I don't think I need to give /sci/ examples.

But what's the alternative? Restricting freedom of speech of public figures doesn't seem that good of an action, but sometimes I do think that we've gone too far with freedom. Maybe instead we need a code of ethics?

>> No.9069382

>>9069344
Sure. Why not.

I have worked in industry, salary paid for by satisfied customers. I have made a few inventions that my employer and his customers have been very happy about.

I contributed original articles to Wikipedia before the place was overrun by spuds.

I contribute to open source projects that seem to be appreciated.

I also contribute to the discussions in here.

You turn.

>> No.9069390

>>9069370
>philosophy should be tested, and testable.
But isn't that what separates science from philosophy? Isn't testable philosophy is just science?
And also, how would you deal with untestable concepts like consciousness?

>> No.9069396

>>9067804
>can one hear the shape of a drum?
But that's from a mathematician (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_the_shape_of_a_drum))

>> No.9069405

>>9069390
Thanks for the discussion. Would it be a problem if philosophy were to become a science? What purpose do you think philosophy should have? Is it justified to devote research programs for it.
I must correct myself and say that I can make the exception for ethics, though it wouldn't be a bad idea if scientific research informed ethics, just not dictate ethics.
>And also, how would you deal with untestable concepts like consciousness?
A good point, though perhaps it is not as untestable as you think? Though sure, there are certainly limits to science.
But then the question remains: do we need academic philosophers to answer those unanswerable questions instead?

>> No.9069424

>>9067804

Philosophy should stay in its box and not try to make claims about physical reality. If you want to debate how many angels can dance on the head of a pin then go right ahead, but if you want to debate something real about the actual Universe we live in, you can get fucked. Reality doesn't care what you think, only empirical observation can settle questions about reality.