[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 69 KB, 700x933, aEBRQ1N_700b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9064460 No.9064460 [Reply] [Original]

Tell me /sci/, is solving a problem merely a question of duration? Could anyone solve any problem given enough time, or are some problems so complex that no amount could be enough?

If so, then what exactly is the reason for that?

Shouldn't any problem be reducible to simpler building blocks that in turn can be reduced even more, depending on the need of how low you need to go? So then if time isn't the only constraint, what else is there? Memory capacity that can only deal with so many blocks and concepts at once? Can a single such block/concept that can be reduced no more be too complex to understand?

If not, and if memory isn't a factor (whether it is or not in the first place, I'll leave open for discussion), shouldn't any problem be solvable with enough time, basically also implying that anyone can achieve anything intellectually given enough discipline (so that the only limiting factor becomes how much time and energy one can invest, which I know isn't limitless but still) and assuming at least average intelligence with no disabilities?

>> No.9064515

Massive bumperino

>> No.9064529

>>9064460
Aren't there problems (like proving the Riemann hypothesis) that require a very intelligent person to break it down to problems solvable by average humans (assuming it can even be done)?

>> No.9064532

P=NP

>> No.9064575

Continuum hypothesis

>> No.9064594

>... any problems
Nope in frameworks that are complex enough, there exist problems that are unsolvable. (look up Godel).

Look up halting problem

>> No.9064656

Whoops I have no idea why I worded myself so badly but what I really wanted to ask was:

Is learning a CONCEPT a question of duration?

I'm interested in the learning of concepts and whether there are concepts that cannot be learned because they cannot be broken down to simpler concepts/the simplest "building block" concepts they consist of are too complex even by themselves.

I hope I don't need to make a new thread with a new OP.

>> No.9064789

>>9064656
No. Some concepts are too complex to be understood by average people. Sure, some concepts may be broken down to simpler concepts, but when you try to connect everything together, it could be that average people cannot hope to grasp it. Just imagine the smartest non-human ape. No one can ever teach it basic algebra. In the same way, there are probably a lot of concepts that we humans and certainly average people cannot hope to grasp.

>> No.9064806

>>9064789
shit I repeated a phrase

>> No.9064812

>>9064460
Any problem should be able to be solved given enough time, yes.

On an unrelated note, the average lifespan of humans is about 76 years.

>> No.9064824

>>9064532
Literally this OP

>> No.9066407
File: 54 KB, 750x559, 1501102752620.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9064460

No. As another anon pointed out, consider the nonhuman ape (or, hell, a doggo). It has a very real cap on it's intellectual capacity. Past a certain point, no amount of training or practice can make up for that. Humans have a physical, biological intelligence cap too, despite what we like to tell ourselves.

>> No.9066430

>>9066407
>biological intelligence cap too, despite what we like to tell ourselves
Can you prove it, though?

The brain is very flexible in its function and for example people with lessened brain size from hydrocephalus do not suffer from lessened cognitive abilities or memory. So it seems that even a smaller brain is still capable of the same intellectual effort as a bigger one, implying either normally sized brains have massive potential, or that we have very little idea how brains function.

I'm not sure we've really tested the limits of the brain potential.

Time management seems a lot more relevant than any biological caps so far.

Also I made a new thread as per >>9064656:
>>>9064930