[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 76 KB, 438x422, dimensional_analysis.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9055470 No.9055470 [Reply] [Original]

>me, Amerifat
>taking Masters in Applied Math
>Must get Ph.d someday
>what about europe?

Euro anons, can you tell me a bit about your respective university systems?

>Difference in administrative culture
>The best Universities of different countries
>General Attitude to Foreign students
(e.g. In America, MIT loves foreigners, but my home uni prefers americans)

feel free to tell some stories too.

>> No.9055473
File: 5 KB, 171x136, C967D3A9-98A2-477D-BC03-031353C7DBAA-11650-00000ED97009B4B7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bump

>> No.9055474

>>9055470
To specify my interest is toward math and engineering departments.

>> No.9056058

>>9055470
>>9055473
>>9055474
This board is slower than some of the more popular ones, don't bother bumping your thread.

I'm also americuck doing MS in applied math. I would say just get into whatever program will fund you and give nice research. Treat all universities with a language you speak as possibilities. Doing a PhD application is basically like applying for jobs (especially in engineering), as far as my profs have said.

>> No.9056347

>>9055470
I'm an Australian in Mech eng.
>Bachelors is required for internships
>Bachelors teaches very little. If you actually want to learn something you have to combine it with real experience.
>Masters is required for grad programs or jobs

>administrative culture
I don't know really. I know all the east european lecturers are bar buddies, as are all the aussie blokes.
I'm a student who understands the material presented to me easily, and so I have never really spoken to any of my lecturers.

>best university
My university is rated really highly by an international institute of rating universities but rated low-moderate by big employers.

>international students
Some are hard-working, great people, some are normal lads, some are absolute nightmares that you hope you never have to work with.
I undergrad there were a lot who just stuck with people from their home country. I was once put in a group with 4 chinese guys and myself. They simply wouldn't speak to me.
In masters it seems like language barriers have been removed, everyone gets along, except for the occasional shitcunt.

>overall student population
Most people just cruse and relax, and then act like the lecturer was shit when they get 50-60% on exams.

>> No.9057577

>>9056347
another aussie
>admin culture
stem academics split their time between teaching, research and admin duties. The older professors with lots of teaching exp end up in admin roles

>best university
ANU or USYD , but you can't go wrong at a group of 8 uni

>international students
universities here love them because they pay triple the tuition the domestics do and before they study.
alot of international students use aussie unis as a back door to citizenship.
its obviously different for post graduate, most of the post grads internationals i have met have been top notch