[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 209 KB, 630x943, 1465166685243.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9035437 No.9035437[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

How can we even have morals?
Isn't it just like we don't go killing people because then the police would fuck us up?
That's not really morals. right?
And you know you wanna fuck some dumb as faggots up, stupid fuckking niggers?
So can we rigorously justify morals?
Or are we just going with how shit is and just call that morals?

>> No.9035444

>>9035437
>How can we even have morals?
We have a physiological basis for empathy and not wanting to make other people suffer (or at least, most of us do). Morals are a systematization of that.

>Isn't it just like we don't go killing people because then the police would fuck us up?
If you want to look at it in a completely self-interested way, which isn't how most look at morals, yes. But also, society works better when people are all contributing to it and not harming other people for profit. And society working better translates to members of society living better. So in the macro scale, not going and killing people is still in your self-interest

>And you know you wanna fuck some dumb as faggots up, stupid fuckking niggers?
No

>> No.9035458

why would you kill people? Even if you weren't arrested it would create social instability and being accepted in society has always been advantageous.
Anyway we don't really have morals. Anyone can say whatever but if faced in a situation where there's no choice left or people have an opportunity for their advantage, they will stab you in the back for sure despite what they say

>> No.9035462

If everyone started killing people then you'd die too. The only way out of this is to collectively agree that killing is wrong.

>> No.9035482

>>9035437

>I would like to live comfortably
>how to maximise the likelihood that I get to live comfortably?
>does my method mesurably work better than the alternatives?

That would be the foundation of rigorous ethics. I think this naturally leads to reasoning like>>9035462
but there's always some asshat who thinks he'd be able to take all challengers in a tooth and claw scenario.

Hyper competitive people and sociopaths are essentially working under the assumption they'd still make it even if everyone behaved like they do. I suspect they're wrong, but I don't know because we haven't run and reccorded that experiment carefully enough. This is where ethics bleeds into politics. We haven't yet, and possibly can't thoroughly, quantified health/wellbeing outcomes for humans wrt collective behaviours. So we're forced to argue speculation with each other.

>> No.9035495

>>9035437
Do you ever experience guilt OP? Don't you want other people to live a happy, fulfilling life?

>> No.9036159

>>9035437
I have a question for you.

How does it feel to be a psychophant incapable of feeling empathy?

>> No.9037621

>>9035437
Basically its what differentiates us from animals.
But some people are naturally born without ones so they are ruthless therefore usually more successful in life.

>> No.9037631

>>9036159
>How does it feel to be a psychophant incapable of feeling empathy?
Am I missing something here, or did you seriously ask someone how it feels to be unable to feel?

>> No.9037645

>>9035437
It makes sense from an evolution perspective. People who naturally feel that being dicks is bad will not steal or kill within their tribe, and so will be more accepted, gaining benefits and more mates for this. Those that are more likely to abuse the trust of their tribe would be shunned, and the loss in trust would cause them to lose more overall.

>> No.9037658

>>9035437
Morals were born from love.
They were born from love and the fear of losing love.

>> No.9037836

>>9037658
Hippies >>>/out/

>>9037631
Psychopaths can feel things, they just can't empathise with others and feel what others are feelibg

>>9037621
>Basically its what differentiates us from animals.
"no" Animals display behaviour that indicates morality.

>But some people are naturally born without ones so they are ruthless therefore usually more successful in life.
>le CEOs are psychopaths meme