[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.23 MB, 500x281, 1483140203902.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9031929 No.9031929 [Reply] [Original]

>you will never have actually good professors and be around people who actually care about what they're studying instead of assholes who just take shortcuts to get a passing grade

Anyone else regretting not even attempting to get into a top 10 school, even though they probably could have?

>> No.9031935

>>9031929
I am not in a top 10 school, far from that, and there is still people like that here.

And it shoudn't be hard to find those people. I mean, would a rational human being put 4 years of their life into something they don't care? Sounds like madness to be. Must suck to be in Uganda, OP. I donate to Africa every now and then so hopefully you have gotten some of that.

>> No.9031936

I am at a top 100 school/top 50 school (depending on ranking) and my professors seem fairly dedicated to their research even though none of them has made it.

>> No.9031943

I used to give heavily accented professors who could barely understand anything back in undergrad a pass, reasoning that students should just have to deal with it and work around it.
Looking back on it I've come to realize students are getting shafted by this bullshit and should be tearing campuses down brick by brick for hiring barely intelligible foreign professors.

>> No.9031944

>>9031935
>I mean, would a rational human being put 4 years of their life into something they don't care?
If there are external rewards for doing that, yes. I haven't met a single person at my school who didn't "just want to pass the class." It is absolutely cancerous.

>> No.9031961

>>9031929
>Anyone else regretting not even attempting to get into a top 10 school, even though they probably could have?

(doubt)

But honestly, a lot of kids at top 10 schools are the exact same. C's get degrees is a common attitude.

>> No.9031979

>>9031944
>I haven't met a single person at my school who didn't "just want to pass the class.

Well, that's just sad. But it could be that you are studying a normie degrees. As said before, no rational human being would waste 4 years of their life, but normies are completely irrational. What are you majoring in, OP?

>> No.9032006

>>9031979
Computer engineering

So many people in the engineering school have the attitude that school is just something to get over with so they can get a good job. I am very bitter.

>> No.9032015

>>9031929
I've had professors that regularly visit cern, and have been a part of big projects since the 90s. I moved due to family reasons to a new town and transferred credits. The head of the math department is heavily vested in the future of mathematics in higher education.

>> No.9032023

>>9032006
>engineering
Jesus christ OP.

I think that because I study math, I just assume everyone here also studies math unless they say otherwise, so I treat them like they study math and then this shit happens. OP, you are in a normie major man. Literally what did you expect? Tell me, what did you expect from normies man?

I don't mean to be rude but holy fuck, you are supposed to know how normies are. It is pretty simple to figure out normies. They are irrational, bestial, almost subhuman creatures. You literally cannot expect anything better from them than

>oogaa booga need make money!
>oogaa booga shit no free money!
>oogaa boogaa engineer is big money, I engineer yes.
>ooogaa boogaa what is all this effort? Me want moneys, no put effort. What is this?
>ooogaa boogaa C's make degrees
>ooogaa boogaa cheat on class, make it easy. Pass and make moneys

Damn, OP. Don't tell me you've never interacted with a normie before.

>> No.9032035

>>9032023
What kind of major is there for generally awesome people? As in people with really high iqs but still like to have fun? I hate having to pick between stupid and autistic lol

>> No.9032042

>>9032023
>Damn, OP. Don't tell me you've never interacted with a normie before.
Of course I have. I've had to put up with this shit for 3 years, going on a 4th.

In my internship the attitude toward school and learning in general was much the same, if not worse.

>college is useless lol, like none of it is applicable
>I just wanna get out of school as quickly as possible
>you'll learn so much more on the job

That last statement is true if you believe that only knowledge that is applicable to a job matters. These people fail to see the value in the supposed "useless" knowledge you get from school. They just see that it can't be used to make money and their eyes glaze over.

>> No.9032043

>>9032035
>for generally awesome people
I don't know about awesome people. Seems pretty arbitrary to me.

>As in people with really high iqs but still like to have fun

OP, everyone likes to have fun. If you think that "really smart people" don't have fun then I am afraid... you are a normie too. You are one of them. I am sorry, it is not your fault to be born retarded. Normieness is commonly hereditary. If you had two normie parents then your chances of being born a normie are 99%. I am so sorry. If you have any kickstarter I can donate to then please tell me.

>> No.9032053

>>9032042
Ah, so >>9032035 wasn't you. Good to know.

> They just see that it can't be used to make money and their eyes glaze over.

Well, again, what did you expect from normies. The way you fix the problems you have is by cutting connections with each and every normie around you.

You should ask yourself one question. Why do you know all of those opinions? Why did you hear them? Odds are, a normie told you. Or perhaps you sat near a normie and he was talking loudly as normies typically do. That shit is cancerous. You need to get away from normies right now.

At university I don't even speak to people not in my major, and within my major I really only start conversations with other people I consider are as into math as myself. To the other people I talk to if we have to coordinate something for an assignment, but I never just go up to them and ask them about their day. No one should care about a normie's day, because a normie's day is always the same.

You should start doing the same. Eventually you will find out that without the endless toxic radiation coming out of normies, life is much more enjoyable and you can focus on the things that truly matter.

>> No.9032074

>>9032043
Idk man. The first time I was in college I only got to know some of the math majors along with every math/science guy on youtube were all a bunch of NERDS. But I'll be going to a bigger university soon. I just don't wanna be surrounded by a bunch of neckbeards lmao. In my heart I don't believe the two are mutually exclusive but I've yet to find anyone that's down and still has a brain. I've always had to divide my time between cool people and smart people and they don't seem to mix well

>> No.9032082

>>9032074
>were all a bunch of NERDS

And those nerds have more fun in an hour than you have in a day so... what is your point?

>inb4 my preconcieved notion of what "fun" is was shelped by mainstream normie culture which means that if you are not taking drugs, drinking alcohol and wasting your time in other self-destructive ways then you aren't having fun

>I've always had to divide my time between cool people and smart people and they don't seem to mix well

The idea of who is "cool" is also a social construct made by normies and mainstream society so once again you are showing your normieness.

That said, your posts are great! But you know where they belong? That's right. FACEBOOK. There everyone would agree with you. Like, all those nerds are SO BORING XD. Lets get TURNT. OMG My eyebrows are on fleek! Etc. etc. Now go.

>> No.9032093

>>9032082
You're pretty much confirming all my suspicions. Smh

>> No.9032097

>>9032093
I know right? We nerds are so boring. It would be so much more fun to post in facebook, wouldn't it? So what are you waiting?

>> No.9032118

>>9032097
My opposition to normies is greater than my opposition to nerds. Still, I think you could use a smoke or drink. If you were truly in balance with yourself there wouldn't be such outward animosity coming from you. I just think a little mindless self indulgence can be beneficial. It sucks to have what seems to be a rather pleasant conversation with someone only to determine they are an empty husk of a human being. For the purpose of connecting with other people with similar intellect you may otherwise not due to the constraints of majors, it would behoove all STEM majors to perhaps take a small interest in their outward appearance and social skills, but primarily going out and getting fucked up. This world should not belong to the normies. I should be able to have an intellectual discussion with someone at the nearest bar to campus. I find it extremely ironic that this seems to be the least likely place to find such a thing