[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 311 KB, 988x988, UVA.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8953374 No.8953374[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Starting my freshman year at UVA this fall, planning on majoring in EE. What should I study before I get there? I know a lot of people say that I should just relax over the summer, but I want to get a head start on what I need to know. Is there a programming language that will come in handy or something I should master before I get there? I have all summer to study and learn, I'd rather not sit around all day jerking off. Thanks /sci/

>> No.8953378

>look up your first year courses
>look up the syllabus, either from this year or last year
>work on the assigned textbook

>> No.8953382

>>8953378
/thread
that's what I did

>> No.8953383
File: 32 KB, 1172x675, 1494714311638.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8953374
Programming:
If no experience, learn C.
If some experience, learn Python.

Circuits:
AllAboutCircuits.com

Good luck. It's a fun major if you go the extra mile, but if you slack or try for average you'll have a rough time.

>> No.8953386

>>8953378
Yeah I'll probably just focus on chemistry and calc II, it's kinda hard to study for my intro to engineering classes though.

>> No.8953388

>>8953374
>What should I study before I get there
>but I want to get a head start on what I need to know

Learn Linear/Matrix Algebra, many classes will assume you know it without having it as a prerequisite.

>Is there a programming language that will come in handy or something I should master before I get there

C++ but you won't master it in 3 months.

>> No.8953389

>>8953383
Holy shit thanks for the website on circuits, it looks really helpful. I have basic experience with VB.NET but it's a pussy language. I'll have a look at C.

>> No.8953397

>>8953388
Huh I didn't know they expected you to know linear algebra. My friend took it at a community college last year, I'll see if I can grab his notes and study them.

>> No.8953415

>>8953397

Not necessarily coming in freshman year (depends on which classes you take, though), but they'll soon expect you to pick it up (usually by sophomore year), either by taking the class or by osmosis.

I'm really fond of the first five chapters (including Chapter 0) of "Mathematical Physics" by Hassani for linear algebra. Also, you'll want to learn Fourier series; Butz's "Fourier Transforms for Pedestrians" is pretty good for this.

>> No.8953479

Doing CompE at UCD; like most people here have said, C or C++ is helpful. Verilog/VLSI if you're going to do digital circuit design. Goodluck.

>> No.8953485

You dont really have to do any extra if you just pay attention to the classes dude. Only thing I came in with that was extra was small Java programming knowledge. It hasnt limited me at all in my undergrad and have never done legitimate summer studying for fall classes. Keep jerking off if you want desu

>> No.8953492

>>8953374
Buy yourself an oscilloscope, a bunch of components and build some shit. Too many students come out knowing loads of theory but having little to no hands on experience. You will have a leg up on these people. Thank me later.

>> No.8953498

>>8953485
Academically no, you don't need to do anything in advance. But professionally, you can improve yourself and make yourself more marketable when you graduate.

Learn soldering and make electronic projects that you can bring up in interviews for EE jobs.
Learn coding and make software projects so you can make a portfolio to land SE jobs.
Etc...