[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 337 KB, 1200x360, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8944048 No.8944048 [Reply] [Original]

Redpill me on condensed matter physics /sci/

To anyone who works in this field: do you enjoy it? How much coding / simulation do you do?

Also, how much strict QM do you use as opposed to EM and stat mech?

>> No.8944063

>>8944048
Oh yeah, forgot to mention

How is employment outside of academia in this field? Would an industrial position still constitute research into fundamental physics or am I looking at engineering / finance here

>> No.8944197

Condensed matter is a broad field now. Most people at the MSc/PhD/PostDoc level are entirely theory, or entirely experiment, and seldom both save for a bit of modelling by experimentalists. I'm sure you can figure out who does the coding, and how much of it. (Hint: Theorists do a fuck ton, experimentalist only code for analysis and maybe instrumental control). There's no "strict" QM. EM is built into QM, e.g. 2D materials whose electrons move in a strongly correlated manner. Everything you do will be QM+EM, seldom stat mech (at least in my experience). Don't know about jobs, still a grad student, but I seen dudes go to IBM/Some national lab/Polymer companies/Biotech shit on top of finance shit. To be honest the skillset you get doing a grad degree in condensed matter is pretty much entirely on you. It's not like organic chemistry, where you just are expected to synthesize something novel and characterize it. Depending on the project(s) you do, you will acquire a very different skill set. Now kill yourself.

>> No.8944204

>>8944197
tl;dr

>> No.8944259

>>8944204
just to clarify this poster was not OP (I am) and needs to kill himself

>>8944197
Thanks for the reply good to know

>> No.8944383

>>8944048
>Redpill me on condensed matter physics /sci/
I did a PhD in solid state physics, a sub set of condensed matter. Solid state is where you can have a chance for a good job in industry, like in the semiconductor industry.

>>8944197
>entirely theory, or entirely experiment, and seldom both save for a bit of modelling by experimentalists
True. Though I noticed more Chinese scientists were into both theory and experimental work.

>> No.8944820

>>8944048

bump for interest