[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 3.46 MB, 1440x1862, magnets.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8871653 No.8871653 [Reply] [Original]

Has anyone here ever tutored before?

Ive thought about doing it a few times before to make some extra cash, but I have no idea how to start. I'm also worried that I won't be very good at explaining concepts, as my explanations tend to be pretty autistic.

It can't be too hard to teach high-school brainlets basic math, right?

>> No.8871673

>>8871653
Depends on what kind of high-school kiddo is OP.

But you should be able to teach and try to impress them as well with all the interesting stuff you can do with math (see recreational math).
However, if you're that autistic and cannot teach that well, then it's not use but at least try to improve how to teach and how to explain it well to ANYONE.
Since you could get pretty fucking mad at some people that aren't that good naturally like dyscalculia and you need that godly patience.

t. hopefully a future Math/Education major

>> No.8871675

>>8871653
Depending on the students you get, it could be easy or a pain in the ass. I guess you could say the difficulty will be somewhere on a spectrum.

>> No.8871677

>>8871653
I haven't but my parents made me teach my brother math

Honestly it's hard as fuck because often the kids you end up tutoring aren't interested, and it's the parents forcing them into this tutoring situation

They'll change topics randomly and you'll observe their complete inability to pay attention. I almost suggest it as an honestly fascinating psychological study of the mathematically inept mind, and ADHD.

Do it just to experience it, it will give you a new appreciation for good teachers

>> No.8871705

>>8871677

If I was in a position where I felt that the person I was tutoring was not interested then I think I would try to talk to the parents about it. Maybe the kid should be seeing a counsellor instead of a tutor.

>> No.8871713

I have and still do on request. English, Maths (Basic to Advanced),Chemistry, Bio, Law, Psychology, Art & Design, whatever I can help with.

Whenever you're offered to tutor, do for most exemplary price covers the content you're teaching, and prepare preliminary and post-session material.

Make sure to prepare them for future endeavours by teaching them more advanced but still basic renditions of what they learn.

They may be stupid as hell but learn to explain something in three ways; advanced, basic, and inexperienced. Lace the vital functions of what is taught with real-life examples, harder for abstract concepts such as Chemistry but as long as you mention the prime material needed (order of filling and level of occupation for subshells can be explained by flooding and water buckets, for example).

Tutoring can also keep you focused and toward a goal, which gives you purpose not to blow your brains out if they don't understand what an atom is even after the fifth explanation of protons, neutrons and electrons necessary.