[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 220 KB, 2000x1000, o-TEARS-facebook.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8825733 No.8825733 [Reply] [Original]

>comes upon board for the first time
>notices how people here aren't very fond of computer science
>my curiosity gets the best of me, so I decide to find out why
>people saying how basically anyone can learn coding and get the jobs I'm getting this degree to get
>rethinks my entire career path of a Masters in CS(maybe concentrating in Networking, AI, or software engineering) with a minor in mathematics

Be honest, what can I REALLY do with my CS degree? To be more clear I mean, what can my degree get me that a bunch of code monkeys can't? Is my degree truly worthless? /sci/ you have hurt me....at this rate I might as well just major in mathematics.

>> No.8825740

>>8825733
this idea that anybody can get a job in coding is a meme

also usually these "anybody's" who do somehow manage to get hired are working at dog shit startups doing front end coding

and these "anybody" jobs are getting outsourced to eastern europe faster than you can say unemployed

so basically what i'm saying is to stick with what you're doing. acknowledge the criticism of your path, but don't let it push you off course because there are plenty of faggots and failures out there who never quite made it and have no idea what they're talking about

>> No.8825742

>>8825733
I switched from a shitty computing career into math because it sucked at my university. many computing careers tend to suck at most unis, since the people who go into them are looking to become glorified code monkeys at best.

CS is very interesting: algorithms and data structures and machine learning are both very interesting fields with tons of opportunities for research. the usefulness of a CS undergrad degree for someone who is interested in theory isn't very clear though, and a major in math with a minor in CS taking all the theory classes might be best for someone inclined that way.

>> No.8825746

>>8825742
oh also if you don't care much about research then going into competitive programming (ACM ICPC) is a great gateway into companies like google / facebook who do arguably interesting software development

>> No.8825749

with a CS degree you can do this

http://ideone.com/c697Lt

>> No.8825756

>>8825749
holy fuck stop posting this lmao

>> No.8825766

>>8825733
>rethinks entire career because of the opinions of people on 4chan
Get a fucking grip dude

>> No.8825774
File: 30 KB, 720x438, 1453249940114.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8825749
>while(input1 > 7)
>{
>printf("The comlumn you have chosen does not exist, please choose a different column.\n");
>scanf(" %d ", &input1);
>}
>while(input1 < 1)
>{
>printf("The comlumn you have chosen does not exist, please choose a different column.\n");
>scanf(" %d ", &input1);
>}

>> No.8825798

>>8825733
>rethinks my entire career path of a Masters in CS(maybe concentrating in Networking, AI, or software engineering) with a minor in mathematics
The bulk of the CS hate here is for the undergrads who are trying to get a Bachelor's in CS and think that scraping by with a c makes them hot shit. If you're going for a masters you're actually learning CS rather than the bare minimum needed to code monkey.