[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 63 KB, 633x758, le feels man.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8811962 No.8811962 [Reply] [Original]

>last question on exam
>calculate this using 2 different methods
>part a use method 1
>part b use method 2
>get two different answers
>"class you have 1 minute left"

>> No.8811967

>>8811962
Back in the day.
>GCE A Level physics
>Explain ...., link it to em laws
>Write a paragraph of fluff
>Have to skip a few calculation questions to save time
>Results arrive later
>B
That was when there was no such thing as A*.
Ok

>> No.8811972

>Classical Mechanics' exam
>Just studied half of the things the professor told us to study
>Go to the exam
>See the exam
>OhShit.jpg
>The half of the things that I didn't studied are in the exam
>Try to figure out how to answer the questions
>I passed half of the exam not knowing what I was doing
>Finished the exam
>Talk with my classmates
>I got literally everything wrong

Still waiting for my grade.

>> No.8811977

>>8811967
>not doing all calculation questions first and leaving the fluff questions to the end
Fluff questions test you on your ability to identify the "most important" parts of your knowledge, with the "important" parts being precisely those which demonstrate your understanding of the concept.
Once you get out of university, you'll see that the skill of describing only as much detail as needed is more valued than the ability to regurgitate a large volume of related facts and sentences, especially since the Internet can perform the latter task for you in under 30 seconds.

>> No.8811978

>>8811972
lmao

the shit i didn't study would always show up on the exam which prompted me to study everything.

>> No.8811980

>>8811977
Fug. I'm still having that problem now. How do I filter out fluff from my answer? I always describe more than I need to.

>> No.8811982

>>8811980
Details are trivial and left as exercise to reader.

>> No.8811987

>>8811982
But the answers wouldn't be very coherent without them

>> No.8811998

>>8811987
Which is why you get more marks for giving more details, when they ask for it. On the other hand, when they don't ask for details, they can be safely omitted without loss of accuracy (you do lose some precision though).

An inefficient but sound strategy is to simply write your answer in full, and then summarize it (I'm assuming you know how to do this, since note-taking is pretty much a summary of the content you've learned). You probably wouldn't want to do this in an actual exam (unless you have the time), but you can try it when doing practice papers, such that when the actual exam rolls around you'll know exactly what the important parts are.