[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 947 B, 416x454, 1489867027505.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8761489 No.8761489 [Reply] [Original]

does listening music or radio with earplugs at the lowest volume setting is still bad for your ears?

>> No.8761594

Bump for interest

>> No.8761611

>>8761489
Would like to know the answer to this desu, my thoughts would be Yeah it do but maybe somebody could correct me?

>> No.8761627

Why would it be bad for your ears if the volume is literally lower than most background sounds?

>> No.8761771

>>8761489
Pretty much. Having earplugs or headphones is like having sound being very directly poured into your ears without any sort of control. I learned that it wasn't a good idea when I noticed my hearing range drop from 18kHz to sub 16kHz in just 6 months of moderate earplug usage. I became paranoid and learned that using earplugs is only something you do when absolutely needed so don't use them while on the bus or during traveling, because background noise will make you increase the sound thus making it even worse for your ears. So if you have it on low settings you need even lower background noise which is inconvenience.You will also unconsciously increase the volume. And after just a month of heavy usage you will notice that you start to increase the volume more and more until you have moderate hearing damage. So please do avoid using it daily, only when your favourite artist releases good material or you need to listen to a lecture or something.

>> No.8761779

>>8761771
>hearing range drop from 18kHz to sub 16kHz

how did you measure this?

>> No.8761811

no, it's not. the only reason wearing earplugs is sometimes bad for you is because people always turn it up to loud.

>> No.8761931

>>8761489
>bad for your ears?
Well it's not healing your hearing, so of course it's bad, to some degree.
What's worse is likely putting the diseased ear plugs back in your ears after all the gook the wax has attracted.
For the big electromagnetic earphones...huge magnets near the brain can't possibly be healthy.