[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 38 KB, 443x332, images (4).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8699477 No.8699477 [Reply] [Original]

"When your former secretary honoured me by asking me to read a paper to your society, my first thought was that I would certainly do it and my second thought was that if I was to have the opportunity to speak to you I should speak about something which I am keen on communicating to you and that I should not misuse this opportunity to give you a lecture about, say, logic. I call this a misuse, for to explain a scientific matter to you it would need a course of lectures and not an hour's paper. Another alternative would have been to give you what's called a popular scientific lecture, that is a lecture intended to make you believe that you understand a thing which actually you don't understand, and to gratify what I believe to be one of the lowest desires of modern people, namely the superficial curiosity about the latest discoveries of science." - Wittgenstein, A lecture on ethics

Is he correct?

Here's the full lecture:
http://www.geocities.jp/mickindex/wittgenstein/witt_lec_et_en.html

>> No.8699489

>Is he correct?
about what??

>> No.8699490

Yes. Next question.

>> No.8699704

>>8699489

About pop science

>> No.8699733

>>8699477
>geocities
Not seen that around for a long time, thanks

>> No.8700059

>>8699704
Yes, he is 100% correct.

People need to understand that many things require effort.