[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 25 KB, 460x276, 1459543142088.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8699039 No.8699039 [Reply] [Original]

if you gradually convert the neurons in your brain to digital information, at what point are you no longer you and you're just a copy of your former self?

that is, what specific quantity and arrangement of neural mapping is paramount to your own cognitive awareness? and if you can make a neural network with a digital interface that is gradually copying the neural maps in your head, how is this different from the plasticity which would overwrite your existing maps? can it not just be seen as a movement of mappings and not a destruction and copy?

I ask because i postulate that digitizing a person is a structural issue not a conscious-metaphysical one, however i can't tell whether or not you have just simply "moved" a person or you destroyed them.

Can you from a scientific model distinguish destroying someone and recreating them translated, planck unit by planck unit, in an arbitrary axis, from them simply moving?

>> No.8699041

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

>> No.8699201

>>8699039
>movement of mappings and not a destruction and copy
Is there a difference? We happen to be organisms that, to an extent, understand themselves and that requires an idea of a "self" that is continuous and unique. But it's all the same to the world, a person that is copied with all memories and identical composition, with the original destroyed becomes the original for all purposes. To the new you, you are the same, and for the old you it doesn't matter (cause you don't exist).

>> No.8699212

You can't even prove that the 'you' that exists right now is the same as 'you' from five minutes ago.

>> No.8699219

No part of anything converted into something else is you. The same does not apply for all life, but human consciousness is really really picky in what's required to make it function.

>>8699212
It's the same consciousness. When the means to attain consciousness is permanently gone, so are you.

>> No.8699221

>>8699039
>>8699041
Is this at all based off the thread I posted on /lit/ a little bit ago?

>> No.8699575

>>8699219
Consciousness =/= soul