Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2017/01/28: An issue regarding the front page of /jp/ has been fixed. Also, thanks to all who contacted us about sponsorship.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 105 KB, 620x387, lr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
8681901 No.8681901 [DELETED]  [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

I'm currently working on my bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering at a dutch university. There seems to be a strong conviction around here that you need a master's degree in order to do anything, and in fact 80% of the students in the program go on to get their master's degree straight from their BSc (mostly in the same faculty I would imagine).
This came as a bit of a surprise to me as in the U.S. (where I come from) a bachelor's degree is usually considered more than enough to get a job in the industry and people often do just that before pursuing further education. Furthermore as my family is quite poor, I will probably have to work a job for a while before continuing my studies—unless I get into a PhD program back in the US where stipends / PhD straight from bachelors are a thing.
How easy is it to get an engineering job in Europe with just a bachelor's actually? Surely aerospace engineering bachelors degree holders don't just work restaurant jobs, right? Anybody in a similar position or would like to offer some advice?

>> No.8681923

One, if everyone else has an MSc they're going to be more desirable and you'll end up with the short end of the stick.
Two, your salary caps out earlier and you might not be assigned leadership positions.

>> No.8681924

>>8681901
read the sticky and put a bullet in your brain
>>7734126

college/career advice threads don't belong on /sci/

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action