[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 15 KB, 200x258, feynman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8649065 No.8649065 [Reply] [Original]

Have you ever felt that you were able to understand the world better after learning, for example, thermodynamics, even in topics totally unrelated to chemistry and physics? Have you ever noticed that the "patterns & structures of thought" seem to repeat themselves in science, philosophy, and even literature?

What about encountering books that were substantial enough to affect your life after thinking and applying its ideas? Do you consider a certain text to be "foundational" for those in pursuit of knowledge?

I'm hoping to create a list of 15-20 books, in a variety of subjects, that will increase clarity & depth of thought, leaving autodidacts with the mental faculties necessary to tackle future challenges. I would also like to have this list of books be sufficient to achieve a cursory education for people looking to improve their knowledge beyond the dregs of their high school or college education, though this isn't as important.

I need to keep the scope limited to the fundamentals. There are far more than 20 worthwhile books, and this isn't a definitive guide to "the best books ever". Some fields like "economics" may already require proficiency in basic fields like history, mathematics, and philosophy, so it would be redundant to cover include them. Only the bare necessities should be maintained for brevity.

>> No.8649073
File: 114 KB, 956x960, problem-solver.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Rate my list x/10

-- --

CRITICAL THINKING PRIMERS:
How to Read a Book - Mortimer Adler
The Trivium: The Liberal Arts of Logic, Grammar, and Rhetoric - Sister Miriam Joseph
Thinking, Fast and Slow - Daniel Kahneman

SELF-REGULATION BASICS
The Discourses on Epictetus - Epictetus
A Primer in Positive Psychology - Christopher Peterson

SOCIAL SKILLS BASICS
Improve your Social Skills - Daniel Wendler
No More Mister Nice Guy - Robert Glover

MATHEMATICS BASICS
How to Solve It - G. Polya
Pre-Calculus – Carl Stitz & Jeff Zeager
Elements - Euclid
Geometry: Euclid and Beyond - Robin Hartshorne

SCIENCE BASICS
The Character of Physical Law - Richard Feynman
The Machinery of Life - David Goodsell

HUMANITIES BASICS
The Art of Fiction - David Lodge
The Socratic Dialogues, The Republic, & The Symposium - Plato
The Art of War - Sun Tzu
The Bible - KJV
Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

-- -

>> No.8649075
File: 35 KB, 700x700, ackshually.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

That is my shortlist.

There are some basic topics that I feel like might need more coverage, like algorithms & advanced logic, computer & data science, statistics, natural and social sciences, psychology, world history, government, history of ideas, communication, poetry & music theory, hermeneutics, esoterics & mysticism, semantics & semiotics, reference materials, and books on rigorous writing. Of course, there's also practical living that might be useful to consider as well. You're not smart unless you've built something with your hands, in my opinion.

Otherwise, I think this roughly covers the "breadth" of all of the structures of thought possible for the mind with sufficient depth. It would also give you a passable education, though better curation might improve the final outcome.

Thanks for your time. What are some other books that might be helpful here?

>> No.8649304

Introduction to Meramathematics

>> No.8649319

>>8649073
>SELF-REGULATION BASICS
>no Meditation by Marcus Aurelius
>no Dhammpada

>> No.8649336

>>8649319
Meditations is a shitty meme book

>> No.8649357
File: 26 KB, 400x462, 1408468454253.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8649336

>> No.8649510

I am the smartest man in the world because I know that I know nothing.

One of the most fundamental aspects of critical thinking is to accept that sometimes there aren't clear answers for certain things, or indeed any answers. You have to profess your own ignorance to be able to discover new knowledge of the world.

>> No.8649513

>>8649357
you posted a shitty meme picture in response, congrats

>> No.8649556

>>8649510
BR Ratio of 1

(0)!>0

If you are always exploring from a state of 0, then you will always arrive at the answer at factorial speed. When you have (2)+>2 you actually have to go DOWN to 0 find the best option. Think of it like a gravitational slingshot for intellect.

>> No.8649922

>>8649319

Epictetus is better. Meditations isn't meant to teach. Epictetus does nothing but teach practical stoicism.

>> No.8651491

>>8649075
Try reading The Moral Animal by Wright. It was kinda profound for me.

>> No.8653285

>>8649065
>Have you ever felt that you were able to understand the world better after learning, for example, thermodynamics, even in topics totally unrelated to chemistry and physics? Have you ever noticed that the "patterns & structures of thought" seem to repeat themselves in science, philosophy, and even literature?
Yes, I feel like in every single field, including everyday life, the patterns are always following in the same way.

I have noticed lot of similarities between completely unrelated fields as well, I indeed think everything is connected and some patterns are universal

It could be just my brain overthinking stuff though

>> No.8653342

>>8649073

Elements is a cruel joke of a book. I understand its importance, but I wouldn't wish that joyless mess on my worst enemy.

>> No.8653512

>>8649065
I note the absence of psychology, the study of ourselves and how it affects our subjectivity (uncertainty principle).
While I read only five or so books that were specifically on thinking, the best was:
"Think or sink" by Mollicone-Long, Gina.

As for a book on male ego and the male chip-on-the-shoulder of superiority, I suggest:
"The dance of anger: a woman's guide to changing the patterns of intimate relationships" by Lerner, Harriet Goldhor.

I imagine most of you are far too insecure to read these. Easier to stay only in sciences and with guys...no honor, courage and manhood required.

>> No.8653773

>>8649073
If this is the kind of shit you're going for, then the Western Canon is exactly that, and better. /sci/ wiki in the sticky also has one of the best list of books on the internet.