[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 41 KB, 518x356, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8550136 No.8550136[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I'm a freshman right now, majoring in biology. I've discovered there's tons of people who do biology to go to medical school, and as a result, it's a very saturated degree. What are my realistic job prospects if I continue on with this? i'm interested in more than one field of science, and it's not too late
for me to change. What is my best choice financially? I just want to enjoy what I do in life, but still be able to sustain myself.

Also how soon should I start looking for internships?

>> No.8550141

Biology is barely even a science.

>> No.8550172

if you want to work in biology as a career you're going to need at least a master's degree if not a doctorate.

some options:
>academia
research
>industry
research, lab tech, QA, sales, project management
>teaching
high school, also requires certification. uni-level teaching jobs are fucking rare and nigh impossible to get
>writing
editing papers for ESL researchers, scientific writing consultation
>journalism
start a blog i guess, or apply to a newspaper.
>law
patent law doesn't require a JD but it does require an advanced degree. soul-killing work, lots of competition from burned-the-fuck-out phds

>> No.8550246

>>8550136
read the sticky and take a hike, mike

>> No.8550262

>>8550141
Wrong

>> No.8550265

>>8550136
If you really want to do biology look into a biomath degree

>> No.8550267

>>8550141

nigger i am a biochemist and half of what i do constitutes biological science

see: molecular and cellular biology, virology, enzymology, ecology, insectology, pathology, etc

medicine itself is a discipline of biology with organic chemistry added in

get educated son