[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 26 KB, 330x319, 1441164138957.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8520805 No.8520805 [Reply] [Original]

>Bio 101 professor
>talking about alleles or something
>a chart comes up with different skin tones
>Prof says "When I was in Saudi Arabia, I saw some people who were very dark. I MEAN, THERE PEOPLE WERE BLACK TO LOOK AT!"
>gestures toward the only black student
>"Darker than you in fact! And you're pretty dark"
>moves to next slide and just keeps talking about bio stuffs

also

>talking about Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium
>"It's used as a control for humans since we often violate all of the principals, like random mating"
>"No one in here practices random mating, right?"
>grill at the front knods her head
>"Hey fellas, you should get to know her!"

>> No.8520837

Not a professor, but one time my high school did this event where they took a bunch of kids from "lower level" math classes and put them into higher level math classes and vice versa for a day. Supposedly to get a glimpse into how math encompasses everything from really basic shit to really advanced shit or something, idk. Obviously this was a bad idea because suddenly there's a bunch of Basketball Americans listening to rap and monkeying around in calculus class and there's a bunch of nerds sitting in the middle of Compton downstairs.

Anyways, so during lecture over conics or something the black kids wouldn't shut the fuck up and kept being really distracting. The teacher wrote the sigma symbol on the board and one of the kids burst out really loud "the fuck is that thing?" The instructor had had enough and his spaghetti rocketed into orbit. He turned around and threw the eraser right at the kid's head and yelled "SHUT. THE FUCK. UP" really loud.

That was about the only time I had a teacher really lose his cool.

>> No.8520848

>>8520837
>Basketball Americans

>> No.8520850

>>8520848
It's innuendo for black people. Black people in America tend to enjoy basketball, therefore in place of "African" American I said "Basketball" American

This is the joke.

>> No.8520978

>>8520850
HAHAHAHAHAHA

>> No.8520988

>>8520837
I can relate. Would love to throw erasers at some of the idiots I encounter in math courses.

>> No.8521026

>>8520837
kek!

>> No.8521036

>>8520805

>military history professor at a military academy
>old man, highly respected
>doesn't give a shit
>tells us based advice

My favorites:

>Always change your professor if she has a hyphenated last name
>Never underestimate the value of brown underwear
>There are no libertarian countries
>Your goal in life should be to leave your wives a library that isn't worth anything. All of your books should be dog-eared with notes written in them, and beat up from heavy use. That's been my goal ever since my wife stopped going down. But you kids buy a $200 book, never open it, and then sell it back to the store for $15. You can't even buy a case of beer for that. Haha!
>Don't be fucking idiots when you get your bonuses. Buy a beatup used car and invest or save the rest. That way when you graduate, that will buy a nice new car or go towards most of a down payment on a house - and all of your schmuck classmates will have a four-year-old car and no bonus.
>Johnson was a fucking asshole. He was the type of person who didn't wash their hands after going to the bathroom. He used to pick bomb targets in Vietnam every tuesday in the white house over tuna on toast, lettuce, tomato, a little salt, and a little mayo. One of you kids may become president. Let your god damn generals do it, and eat a less gay sandwich.

Doc still teaches. What a great man.

>> No.8521038

>learning about master slave flip flops
>professor used to eat at the mcdonalds errday that i used to work at
>next lecture go back to learning about master slave flip flops
>i guess him trying to be enthusiastic "Slavery is always good!"
>professor quickly backpedals and talks about how master slave flip flops are breddy cool
>corrects himself and says "slavery, however, is wrong"
>class is small, a few whites, erryone else is brazilian, asian, hispanic, or one african gentleman
>african man didn't hear professor say "slavery is always good"

professor was very chill and i guess no one wanted to get him in trouble. good thing the class was small. I'm sure everyone else in the class dismissed those comments and im the only one lamenting about it all these years later.

>> No.8521039

>>8520837
The worst part about this is that whoever came up with idea is probably getting paid more than the teacher. Our tax dollars are going to a fucking sociology major working in administration. Fuck this world

>> No.8521049

>>8521036
I did not understand like half of them. What the fuck. Like

>
>Your goal in life should be to leave your wives a library that isn't worth anything. All of your books should be dog-eared with notes written in them, and beat up from heavy use. That's been my goal ever since my wife stopped going down. But you kids buy a $200 book, never open it, and then sell it back to the store for $15. You can't even buy a case of beer for that. Haha!

What the fuck? What does this mean? The first part I interpret as "be a dick to your wives" but what about the second part? Is the advice to just waste money or is this some kind of inside joke or deep political commentary on the nature of cuckolds or something?

>> No.8521057

>>8521049
>I did not understand like half of them.

Classic /sci/.

He was telling us to read our fucking books. What shit school did you go to? Do you gingerly thumb through your books, or do you actually READ them, highlight shit, make notes, etc? Why is it so taboo to write on a page?

>> No.8521058

>>8521049
It means you should read a lot, thus your books will be left in bad condition. Also dude fuck women lmao.

>> No.8521068

>>8521057
I think the way you wrote it leaves a lot of room for misinterpretation.

Also what the fuck is up with
>ever since my wife stopped going down

Is that like going down on me? Like his wife stopped giving him blowjobs? Is he allowed to talk about that shit? And what do blowjobs have to do with books!

>> No.8521069

>>8521068
Going down to the library

>> No.8521076

>>8521069
TO THE LIBRARY?

How am I supposed to get that from it. I immediately thought that his wife stopped giving him blowjobs and that is why he wanted to leave her a library with shitty books.

>> No.8521080

>>8520805
When I took calc 3 there was an annoying Asian in my class that complained about ever problem he would get wrong on his test

The professor was an old white guy that looks a lot like mike pence

One time the professor was clearly so annoying with the Asian asking countless questions that a mumbled "fucking Asians" under his breath. I heard it since I was in the front row

>> No.8521091

>>8521076
I thought this too. I also thought when he said "wives" he was talking about his multiple mistresses. I'm picturing this man as the most savage teacher of all time.

>> No.8521096

>>8521036
>military academy
You dun goofed
Please tell me you picked artillery, JAG, cavalry or something fulfilling

>> No.8521102

>have middle-eastern grad student TAing our class
>is explaining why so many people die on construction projects in the american southwest
>"it is because there are many mexicans, and they are not very good"
>doesn't provide any other explanation
>everybody looks around and chuckles because we're all white males

>> No.8521112

>>8521058

/sci/ is truly cucked.

>>8521068
>>8521069
>>8521076

I meant what I meant, faggots. It was an obvious allusion to blowjobs. Get laid, idiots.

>>8521096
>please tell me you picked artillery, JAG, cavalry or something fulfilling

What the fuck kind of hodgepodge of jobs is this? JAG? Are you aware of how JAG officers become JAG? Don't even reply, what a joke.

>> No.8521122

>>8521057
>be me about to do some reading
>walk on over to my bookshelf, it smells like garbage
>the books look like it too
>pick out a book to read, the one with no spine cover, the binding I'd almost undone
>Im not some fucking pussy, I rip that shit out of the bookshelf tearing a few pages in the process
>whatever, im a fucking man who doesn't give his books any mercy
>throw book on the ground, I'm not carrying that shit
>player soccer with it over to my reading chair
>Take a seat which with my book, but not before drop kicking it several times like it deserves
>try to flip open to where I left off
>there's something crusty sticking the pages together
>is that dried semen?
>oh yeah that was from my last reading session, that shit was fucking intense
>I fucked that bitch up hard
>and by bitch I mean book
>finally get the pages apart, begin reading
>I'm having a tough time, there are scribbles everywhere I can't read
>is that a shopping list?
>after finishing a page, it's time to flip to the next
>grab that fucking paper with the grip of a god damn body builder
>turn it with the strength of a thousands suns
>the book couldn't take any more abuse, the binding came undone
>I'm surrounded by a pile of loose pages
>nice, free toilet paper
>after stashing some pages in the bathroom, I take the rest and stuff them in between the other books in my bookshelf
>another productive reading session finished

>> No.8521131

>>8521122

>wasting double dubs on a strawman argument

Awful. Make sure to sell that book, bro. You almost certainly need the pocket change.

>> No.8521306
File: 557 KB, 720x561, laughs microscopically.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8521122
KEK

>> No.8521311

Made a geology professor crack up when I referred to mountain building as "continents bumping uglies".

>> No.8521315

>>8521112
At least I have a deployment patch. Have fun being a slick sleeve staff officer that wont ever get the respect of his NCO's.

>> No.8521318
File: 67 KB, 1456x1108, 1480661465078.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>prof sprays everyone with water trying to display how flow velocity differs from the nozzle area and plunger area
>Talks about how some dumb biofag rederived calculus because he was a brainlet
>"moving on"

>> No.8521329

>>8521318
>>Talks about how some dumb biofag rederived calculus because he was a brainlet
That actually sounds like something a non-brainlet who was never properly taught calculus would do.

>> No.8521333

my dad says dog-earing books is barbaric

>> No.8521347

>>8521318
he probably browses this shithole

>> No.8521350

>>8521333
What does being a barber have to do with going down to the library?

>> No.8521465

>>8521057
>What shit school did you go to?
Not him but even my local alma is probably better than westpoint or whatever military """"university"""" you go to.

Do you carry your books in a camo backpack? Got any stories to share about JROTC or scouts? What's your favorite kind of chew? :)

>> No.8521501

>>8521036
this is like funnyjunk tier humor. Is this supposed to be insight or witty?
>military academy
Ah, right

>> No.8522277

>>8521350
Best post

>> No.8522417

>>8521329
Yes but a non-brainlet would also have enough humility to research his ground-breaking ideas before concluding that he has discovered the wheel. It's a classic case of decent intelligence hindered by ignorance

>> No.8522426

>>8522417
it's not like the kid tried to publish his fucking results. It sounds like he had a specific problem he wanted to solve and so he used logic and reason to develop the tools to solve it. It probably took him less time to derive it his own way than it would have if he followed along a textbook and learn 3 semesters worth of material just for a single application. And developing it himself ensures that he understands everything he is doing and doesn't get lost in someone else's methods.

>> No.8522452
File: 443 KB, 280x153, image.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Literally a minute ago

We're doing a demo in class to show how converging lenses work and a kid asks "can we use a laser to burn a hole through that paper?" And the prof responds "yes! But we'd need a better laser. You should come to my office and check out my big laser sometime"

The whole class drowned in silent kek

>> No.8522531
File: 48 KB, 761x563, 1478674044524.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Philosophy professor is super nice, understanding, upbeat, and goes well out of his way to help his students. Seriously just a great guy. Then one day he shocked the fuck out of the entire class at our extremely liberal community college.

>discussing other cultures, morality, right and wrong
>professor stares at the floor for a few seconds and has an extremely stern look on his face
>"I am going to talk at you guys here for a few minutes and I don't want to see any hands up until I'm finished. If there is anything at all you take away from this class when you complete it, it is this."
>professor takes deep breath
>shouts at the top of his lungs "THERE IS UNIVERSAL RIGHT AND UNIVERSAL WRONG. Your other professors, the media and the internet tell you that morality is a grey area. If you EVER hear that from ANYONE you MUST TELL THEM IMMEDIATELY THEY ARE PATENTLY FALSE. MURDER IS ALWAYS WRONG. RAPE IS ALWAYS WRONG. THEFT IS ALWAYS WRONG. These are core principles of society and humanity."
>"Secondly, unconditional cultural acceptance is TOTAL BULLSHIT. DO NOT BUY INTO IT. DO NOT EVER. EVER. EVER WRITE OFF ACTS OF BARBARISM AS OKAY BECAUSE IT IS A PART OF ANOTHER CULTURE. It is NEVER okay to stone women to death, or set your neighbors on fire, or have sex with animals no matter who you are, for any reason EVER. If you make an exception for these things because 'its just a different culture', you are JUST AS BAD AS THEY ARE."
>"AS SUCH, THERE ARE SUCH THINGS AS BARBARIC CULTURES AND THEY ARE INHERENTLY EVIL FOR COMMITTING CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY AS A TRADITION OR AS PART OF THEIR RELIGION. THEY HAVE NO PLACE IN SOCIETY AND THOUGH THEY ARE BIOLOGICALLY HUMAN, THEY ARE NOT EMOTIONALLY OR PSYCHOLOGICALLY HUMAN."
>he calms down a little
>"Do not misinterpret what I just said. There are people who live within these cultures who do not practice or agree with the evil parts of their cultures. It is also NOT tied to skin color."
>continues with normal lecture
>mfw

>> No.8522553

>>8522531
Sounds like a good guy, how is this even controversial to say.

>> No.8522566

>>8520805
>Times your professor(s) dropped spaghetti
I'm a professor. Here's one I wrote a while back.
>first time lecturing 80+ students for two hours
>very nervous
>took me two weeks to prepare the lecture
>start 15 minutes late because no one seems to be there on time
>have to rush through the most complicated part
>get strange looks from the people in the front rows, but too nervous to figure out why
>my wearable microphone drops
>as I try to grab it off the floor, I step on it
>everyone cringes in agony as a loud screeching fills their ears
>have to finish the rest without a mic, basically screaming at the lecture hall
>45 minutes in, everyone actually seems to follow better than expected
>I calm down, continue the lecture
>going quite well now, students ask insightful questions
>the spaghetti in my pockets is firmly in place
>feeling great
>still get funny looks from people in the front rows
>after the lecture I notice my zipper has been open the entire time

>> No.8522569

>>8522553
California

>> No.8522573

>>8522531
>Theft is always wrong

I have a few problems with this bullshit. What if you steal from the very rich and you are very poor yourself. Morally right then.

>Murder is always wrong

What if you kill a killer? Or a rich person? Then it is moral.

He sounds like a shitty professor desu.

>> No.8522586

>>8522553
being "good" is completely subjective, and as a philosophy teacher he should know that. Or at least give a reason for his stance rather than spewing these "facts".

>>8522531
>THEY HAVE NO PLACE IN SOCIETY AND THOUGH THEY ARE BIOLOGICALLY HUMAN, THEY ARE NOT EMOTIONALLY OR PSYCHOLOGICALLY HUMAN.
what gives this man the authority to define emotionally/psychologically human? If you're born a biological human, then anything you feel or think is considered human. This is my point of view at least (and probably most rational/scientific minded people's view). Instead of literally shouting his opinion at the class, he should instead give both sides of the argument and allow the class to decide for themselves what they think.

>morality is a grey area. If you EVER hear that from ANYONE you MUST TELL THEM IMMEDIATELY THEY ARE PATENTLY FALSE.
How are you gonna claim something is patently false without any evidence? Any subject that doesn't involve mathematic proofs or evidence will have grey areas, that's just how it is.

>> No.8522591

>>8522566
>>start 15 minutes late because no one seems to be there on time
I hope to god you no longer do this. Because if you fall behind and end up not covering some material by the end of the year, the students that showed up on time will be pissed.

>> No.8522592 [DELETED] 

>>8522586
*tips*

>> No.8522595

>>8522591
>I hope to god you no longer do this.
Obviously.

This happened about 10 years ago, it was my first big lecture for a semi-large group of students.

>> No.8522599

>>8522426
are you kidding me man? it's one of /sci/' humor's best

https://fliptomato.wordpress.com/2007/03/19/medical-researcher-discovers-integration-gets-75-citations/

>> No.8522603

>>8521122
haha i laughed pretty hard

>> No.8522607

>>8522417
>>8522426
>it's not like the kid tried to publish his fucking results.
I think you two might be talking about this paper:
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/17/2/152

>> No.8522617

>>8522531
>>8522531

Prof sounds like an athiest

>> No.8522630

>>8522573
I think you need to brush up on morality friend

>> No.8522641

>>8522599
What the fuck

Area under a curve consisting of triangles and rectangles? Yet people are still retarded enough to think this guy invented something new? I'm actually a bit sickened

>> No.8522649

>>8522531
Basically your professor is arguing for pure Kantian deontological ethics, which I'm somewhat sympathetic towards, but in its radical interpretation it'll also necessarily (for reasons I won't go into, read up yourself) imply that e.g. helping Hitler kill millions of people is NOT wrong, doing the killing for Hitler IS wrong, and even killing Hitler himself IS wrong. It does make logical sense to assume this radical perspective if you think it is ethically correct, but it does most certainly not make sense to claim that it is the only correct perspective.

>> No.8522652

>>8522641
>this guy
it was a woman

>> No.8522659

>>8522649
Huh, so you think you're smarter than Kant do you? What are your views on morality and ethics?

>> No.8522672

>>8521102
kek

>> No.8522675

>>8522659
>so you think you're smarter than Kant do you?
No, what on earth gave you that idea? Kant himself didn't even adhere to purely deontological principles. Nor did he claim that deontological principles are absolute moral truth.
>What are your views on morality and ethics?
I don't deny the consequentialistic side of things. For instance, I see animal research as necessary and morally non-reprehensible.

>> No.8522679

>>8522573
>Or a rich person?

Haha wow so like the bourgeoise man right? All rich people are evil an deserve to die right?

>> No.8522684

>>8522679
you took the bait anon

>> No.8522687

>>8522679
They don't deserve to die but it is not immoral to kill them.

I think a good patch to capitalism is to make it legal to kill people who are millionaires or beyond. Life, if you kill them then nothing happens to you.

Think about it, they have enough to pay for protection so this would fuel a bigger security economy which would give money to many low income earners.

No one would even die because the rich can just pay like 50 people to protect them, like the secret service.

>> No.8522702

>>8522687
You cannot be this retarded

>> No.8522707

>>8522599
The paper is no longer on google scholar lmao

>> No.8522710

>>8522702
I believe what I say. Also, if you manage to kill a rich person then you should have a legal right to at least 50% of his wealth.

>> No.8522711

>>8522707
Pretty sure it's been retracted

>> No.8522715

>>8522710
I stand corrected. You CAN be this retarded.

>> No.8522720

>>8522715
Think about it for a sec.

Marxism calls for redistribution of wealth but I understand the anger this would cause to wealthy people. They worked for their money after all.

So instead of taking it from them, make incentives for them to spend it on poorer people. Like making it legal and profitable to kill them so they have to spend on security. Nothing wrong with that. Marxism 2.0 maybe?

>> No.8522722

>>8522711
I have access to the article.
>tfw she just re-derived integrals
>tfw it passed peer reviews
>tfw it got cited 75 times
biological "sciences"

>> No.8522725

>>8522720
more like Marxism+ am i right

fuck off back to r*ddit, retarded new.fag

>> No.8522727

>>8522725
Oh, great idea. Marxism++

Like C

>> No.8522728

>>8522720
>make incentives for them to spend it on poorer people
And the best incentive you could think of was to make it legal to kill them so that they would invest in security?
>Think about it for a sec.
lmfao

>> No.8522732
File: 15 KB, 384x384, images (2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>first day of chem 2 class
>arrive late
>walk into class
>same professor from chem 1
>professor is already lecturing
>walks silently to a chair
>when I'm about to sit she stops the class and:
>"Wow anon, your hair looks like shit, you need a cut"
>everyone laughs
>I sit silently

There was also this time, chem2 test

>professor is walking through the class
>I remove my flip flops
>she's monitoring everyone
>she walks by my chair
>"Anon your flip flops look like shit, they're too old, gotta buy new ones"

Fuck that fat whore, never liked her

>> No.8522734

>>8520805
This was in high school but:
>be in Algebra 1
>everything going pretty good, teacher was talking about matrices or some shit
>two kids were playing around in the front row, one of them throws I think a pencil at the other one
>the teacher turns around and yells, "YOU ARE GOING TO WRITE DOWN 200 TIMES 'I WILL NOT THROW OBJECTS IN MR. BURKE'S CLASSROOM EVER AGAIN' EVERY CLASS FOR THE REST OF THE SCHOOL YEAR AND YOU WILL HAND ME YOUR PAPER WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED AND IF YOU DO NOT COMPLY I WILL INCREASE IT BY 200 EVERY DAY YOU ARE OFF BY EVEN ONE SENTENCE AND I WILL FAIL YOU FOR THE SEMESTER IF IT IS NOT COMPLETE!"
The girl was trying to hold back tears and everyone was surprised and talked about it after class. I guess the PTSD from the Vietnam war came back and hit him.

>> No.8522735

>>8522728
Well, you give an alternative. The thing is that they have to invest in something that won't make them richer. Like today if they invest in a business they will get even richer but if they invest in security that is just a money sink.

Give me other money sink then

>> No.8522738

>>8522735
>Give me other money sink then
Here's a wild idea: a fucking TAX??

Jesus dude, honestly.

>> No.8522739

>>8522735
higher taxes for the rich, in return for making it illegal to kill them. That way we can distribute funds to things more useful to society than security companies.

>> No.8522742

>>8522739
>>8522738

Ever heard of tax fraud? There is no life fraud though. If you get killed, you are fucking dead. REST IN PEACE.

Taxing is okay but it is too vulnerable a system. Rich people just get around it.

>> No.8522747

>>8522742
>Ever heard of tax fraud?
Yes, and that's why there are government agencies in place to prevent it and consequences for committing it.
>There is no life fraud though.
Ever heard of faking your death?

>> No.8522748

>>8522742
Instead we'll have murder fraud.

What a fucking retard. I'm done.

>> No.8522752

>>8522747
>Ever heard of faking your death?

Why would you even do this? If you fake your death to get off the books and then go abroad to live in a mansion and you get killed then the person who killed you will say: Hey, this guy had a fucking mansion. Real state worth more than 1 million, therefore what I did was legal.

And then he is good to go.

Faking your death does nothing in this system.

>>8522748
How would murder fraud work?

>> No.8522760

>>8522452
We did that demo today too

>> No.8522767

>>8522752
>How would murder fraud work?
A rich person could murder anyone and just put a million bucks in their pocket after the fact. Money would give you the power to kill anyone you want.

>> No.8522768

>>8522531
>THIS COUNTRY IS FOR EVERYONE. YOU HAVE NO PLACE HERE.

>> No.8522770

>>8522767
Oh, good point.

Rich people can't kill other rich people.

Problem fixed.

You can only legally kill if you are worth less than 1 million dollars and your target is worth more than 1 million dollars.

>> No.8522772

>>8522752
>Why would you even do this?
You get someone to "kill" you. They get 50% of your money, the other 50% gets "lost" and the two of you move somewhere where nobody knows you're rich. Basically murder fraud. Also, in your system where does the other 50% of the money go? To the government? How does your system avoid "tax" fraud in that sense?

>> No.8522773
File: 15 KB, 374x378, 1479939729050.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8522652
You have got to be fucking kidding me

>> No.8522782

>>8522770
>Problem fixed
Haha, you're too retarded to argue with.

Protip: it's not.

>> No.8522787

>>8522772
>They get 50% of your money, the other 50% gets "lost" and the two of you move somewhere where nobody knows you're rich.

Signs of richness are visible, man. People will know. If you live the high life people will know. You would have to live like you were poor and that is also good.

> in your system where does the other 50% of the money go?

To the traditional people who inherit it. Like their sons and other family members.

If these people leave a will then first 50% of the wealth is given to the killer and the rest of 50% will be acted upon by the will.

>> No.8522792

>>8522787
>Signs of richness are visible, man.
Tell that to Hurley from Lost

>> No.8522810

>>8522768
that's not what he said.
still, feel free to reject universal human rights in favour of honour killings and still call yourself a feminist
>yes I'm projecting

>> No.8522811

>>8522710
Is killing Bill Gates justifiable? Also a lot of scientists/mathmaticians are defined as "rich"

>> No.8522815

>>8522732
bs

>> No.8522821

>>8522811
Of course, why not. He is still rich. If he was careless enough to not pay for enough security then I'd say he even deserved it.

And in his wealth he lived a life of pleasure so you cannot be sad about it.

>> No.8522831

>>8522810
If you advocate universal human rights, then there is no way to "draw the line" and you should advocate for universal rights for all things, including plant life and inanimate objects. If you are in favor of honor killings, then take the extreme point of view and don't be mad if someone righteous kills you for whatever reason. Either one is a perfectly valid way to live and it's just a matter of what your personal beliefs are. Also, universal rights include the right to kill, so in a way both of these points of view are actually the same.

>> No.8522840

>>8522810
I was alluding something you judgmental meaniehead

>> No.8522843

>>8521038
Wat

>> No.8522845

>>8522831
>If you advocate universal human rights, then there is no way to "draw the line" and you should advocate for universal rights for all things, including plant life and inanimate objects
I'm not the person you're replying to, but this to me doesn't follow.

>> No.8522850

>>8522845
He just thinks he's self-actualized but is caught in personal misconceptions :^)

>> No.8522896

>>8522845
What's the difference between universal human rights and universal animal rights? You cannot draw the line without bringing up the concept of a soul. Sure you could say that as a human you value human life more, but the point I was making was that this is not a universal fact. It's only an arbitrary position that you take for no real reason other than "you" being more valuable than "them" which anyone can apply to any arbitrary lines (including race and gender).

>> No.8522915

>>8520837
>basketball americans

I hope they will adopt this one once "people of color" becomes racist.

>> No.8522918

>>8522896
>You cannot draw the line without bringing up the concept of a soul.
Are you trolling? How about you draw the line based on species? This is a perfectly defendable position. The claim that the line is arbitrary doesn't make sense, because it isn't, by virtue of its profound ethical implications. Using your logic you may as well argue that drawing the line at all species or none is equally arbitrary.

>> No.8522998

>>8522896
>You cannot draw the line without bringing up the concept of a soul.
Really? Just some lines you could draw from the top of my head (not that you necessarily should use these):

>self-awareness and self-reflection
>language communication
>upright posture
>clothing
>adapting hostile environments to support our species
>best natural problem solvers on earth
>fire usage
>concepts of morality and ability to design social systems (rights don't even work without these)
>agriculture and non-instinctual domestication of other species
>asymmetry of the cerebral cortex

>> No.8523006

>>8520805
>Be in last biochemistry class, prof is going through some practice questions
>Get to final question, designating the name of the gene as LoL - which confers extreme laughter as the phenotype
>Annoying guy in class who always asks stupid questions and laughs obnoxiously at profs dry jokes erupts in his worst autistic episode yet
>The laughter simultaneously interrupts prof as he tries to continue his explanation of the question
>Everyone in the room is silent while this idiot laughs like a giddy little fag
>Profs had enough of his shit, turns to the student and says "looks like you've got it" in the most condescending manner
>The kid goes silent, entire 60 student lecture bursts into laughter for a good 30 seconds
>Autismo in lecture the subsequent semester, hasn't asked a question since

>> No.8523040

>>8523006
here's another

>Roommate goes to intro chem lecture, she is always really loud in class and talks all the time
>I decide to skip the class
>She comes back, tells me the prof yelled at her in class for talking in lecture
>Tends to exaggerate, so I brush it off as something like "be quiet" or whatever
>Fast forward a month, studying for the final exam
>All lectures are recorded and posted on the universities website
>Currently listening to the lecture roommate got yelled at in
>Prof pauses...
>HEY BLONDIE IN THE BACK, SHUT UP

I was laughing so hard. That prof was notorious for telling people to be quiet, but this took the cake. Good prof though, I can respect a first year chem professor. You have to be a good teacher to make 500 students understand chemistry - granted, most were idiots.

>> No.8523043

Since when did revealing your powerlevel have to do with /pol/shit?

>> No.8523044

>>8520805
My prof for fytochemistry is pretty obviously into psychedelics if you know even a little about the subject. Like he casually said reality was a dream/illusion when talking about hallucination. Good prof and really likeable guy.

>> No.8523055

>>8521122
Mein sides are in orbit

>> No.8523063

>>8522531
>universal right and wrong

hahahahha

>> No.8523090

>>8522531
There is no right or wrong.
Only weak and strong.

No matter, your professor sounds like a pretty shitty philosopher. He should seriously consider suicide.

>> No.8523106

>>8522831
>and you should advocate for universal rights for all things, including plant life and inanimate objects.
absolutely retarded. commit suicide

>> No.8523130

>>8521122
top lel

>> No.8523141

>>8521122
wew lad

>> No.8523203
File: 81 KB, 771x462, 1408158121947.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8522599
apex kek

>> No.8523229
File: 62 KB, 209x277, RagnarRedpill.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8523090

This desu.

Things just are the way they are.

Any moral observations are just observations about what is going on.

>> No.8523234

>>8522573

>I have a few problems with this bullshit. What if you steal from the very rich and you are very poor yourself. Morally right then.

Guaranteed replies from Ayn Rand in 3,2,1...

>> No.8523237

>>8522531
>things that never happened

>> No.8523242

>>8522760
Huh, maybe you were in my lecture

>> No.8523250

>>8521049
Are you literally retarded?

>> No.8523270

>>8522573
>Morally right then.

Are you sure?

>> No.8523296

Does anyone actually get pleasure out of correcting their professors? I hate "know it all" douches.

>> No.8523314

>>8523296
I've never met a prof who disliked it when people pointed out simple errors they make on the blackboard (because every one of them makes them).

The thing is that innocent typos like that can completely derail somebody who's confused about the material, because they don't know what's going on well enough to immediately shrug it off as a typo. So fixing those errors is good.

Just keep it to typographical errors, don't be that fucker who needs to drop in his 2 cents about how the prof was slightly imprecise or some gay shit

>> No.8523324

>>8522659
Spot the retard

>> No.8523340

>>8522918
>How about you draw the line based on species?
Firstly, the line between different species is ill defined. But more importantly, why does our species deserve certain rights that other species do not? No matter where you draw the line, it's arbitrary unless you have a reason to draw the line.

>>8522998
>Just some lines you could draw from the top of my head (not that you necessarily should use these)
If you read the second part of my post you'd see I already addressed this point. It doesn't matter what lines you draw, all that matters is why you drew the lines. You only picked those criteria because they separate you from animals. What's stopping you from drawing your line further up (like between races) or further down (like between animals and plants). If you want to be truly "fair" there should be no lines, only a continuous spectrum of rights depending on a given criteria. But even then, that criteria is completely artificial.

>>8523106
I never said I advocate for plant rights. I was trying to point out that people advocating for universal human rights might as well take the extreme view. The only thing stopping them is a completely made-up line that is a perfectly valid way to live but it's just a matter of opinion and not in any way a matter of universality.

>> No.8523349

>>8522815

nuh uh its tru i can conform this

>> No.8523355

>>8523040
>Roommate goes to intro chem lecture, she is always loud in class
>I can respect a first year chem professor

>Roommate
>she
>first year
tits or gtfo

>> No.8523356

>>8523355

what do you mean? He's obviously a boy.

>> No.8523370

>>8523356
All schools that I know of require you to live in a dorm on campus for the the first year, and I don't know of any schools that allow co-ed rooms.

>> No.8523373

>>8523370
>>All school that I know of

>> No.8523387

>>8523373
Alright, how about you give me an example of a school that allows co-ed rooms for freshman?

>> No.8523399

>>8523387
I went to UPenn. My freshman roommate was a girl and the room was like 8 feet wide. It was bad.

We filed to switch rooms after the first 3 week but yeah, they allow it.

>> No.8523404

>>8523399
She kept cheating on her boyfriend who went to a different college (never with me) and I just had to pretend I didn't notice.

Note it's not like we had separate rooms or anything and just shared a bathroom. no. Our beds were almost touching. She slept with no bra. It was incredibly awkward.

>> No.8523468

>>8523370
>All schools that I know of require you to live in a dorm on campus

Have you only ever heard of boarding schools? What the hell are you talking about?

>> No.8523894

>>8522531
Seems pretty shit. I mean, why would we have moral dilemmas if there were no moral grey areas? What would be the point of debating over legislation? Shit, I mean we might as well throw out the centuries of thought regarding ethics, because this prof said murder is wrong. It just seems like an attempt to shut down anyone with a contrary opinion. Morality is essentially arbitrary, but that doesn't mean we have to permit everything or that there is no reason to enforce our common morality

>> No.8523923

>>8522531
>THERE IS UNIVERSAL RIGHT AND UNIVERSAL WRONG
Kek what a retard. You should have demanded a refund for this class and that he be fired. Jesus what a retard.

>> No.8523940

Not really powerlevel or spaghetti but it still gave me a chuckle'

>trying to crash calc 1 in college
>asian professor
>after class told crashers to go to his office to see if we meet requirements to get in
>me and some other students outside the guys office, gonna call us in one by one to put us down on his list
>all of a sudden random asian asian lady shows up
>like right after the first or second guy was called in, dont remember
>starts talking to the proffesor like OH HAI HARRO HAO U DOIN
>im doing fine but im busy so get out
>OH I JUS CAME BACK FROM VACATION I GOT U GIFS
>thank you but Get. out.

we all cracked up, asian lady wasnt getting the fucking hint

>> No.8523972

>>8522821
As someone who came out of a humble household I think you're retarded. I don't despise the rich and they have all the right to live.

>> No.8523976

>>8520988
hey man, i know what you mean, but sometimes i just am under stress and i can't learn things as fluently as when i'm chilled out

>> No.8523980

>>8521036
>>Always change your professor if she has a hyphenated last name
because she's a femenist?

probably good advice. good recon there, general, sir.

>> No.8523990

>>8522569
fuck california

>> No.8523994

>>8522569
>Caliph-ornia

>> No.8524035

>>8522742
I'd much rather we kill all Marxists.

>> No.8524046

>>8523314
This.

Pointing out typos is for the benefit of students. Only a pretentious cry baby would be upset about getting corrected.

>> No.8524064

>>8522770
>You can only legally kill if you are worth less than 1 million dollars and your target is worth more than 1 million dollars.
Pay a hitman to do it. You're rich, you have the money. He can't be charged so he has no reason to confess.

>> No.8524076

>>8520837
>lower level math class
>the Basketball Americans were in that class
>oh wait I was in that class too

>> No.8524079

>>8522710
Get yourself checked mate.

>> No.8524081

>>8521122
>oh yeah that was from my last reading session, that shit was fucking intense
FUCKING KEK

>> No.8524096
File: 95 KB, 724x720, smug_anime_cunt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8521112
You sound like a very frustrated turd. Hope you get a lot of purple hearts lol.

>> No.8524116
File: 27 KB, 320x240, 1481184294114.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

my professor lowered the pass mark in maths to just 20%

https://businesstech.co.za/news/finance/146351/sa-government-lowers-pass-mark-for-maths-to-20/

>>The “pass mark” for Grades 7 to 9 taking mathematics has been lowered to 20%

>> No.8524122

My ochem professor is pretty funny. Picture a tall ass, chubby white dude, balding head.

>Former student comes into office hours while i'm working problems with prof and classmates
>she and prof go and talk a bit, joke and she says misses him
>"Can I give you a hug goodbye, Professor?"
>He pauses, and chuckles, "As long as YOU ask first. If I ask, well, I get in trouble with the cute female students."
>She laughs and hugs him, leaves.

>Another time
>Prof trying to explain how to do a mechanism
>"You see, with these kind of problems, you should learn to think like I do - well, not EXACTLY like I do, because then you'll go to fucking jail, but in terms of pushing electrons."
>non-chalantly looks at cute asian students as he says this

>After midterm 2, approach Prof between office hours to ask him a question
>Sees me walk up, before I can say anything, butts in
>"Don't ask me what your fucking grade on the midterm was. I curve AT THE END of the quarter"
>I-I wasn't going to ask that sir
>"oh, good, I hate all these fucking premeds asking me what their grades are. If you're so concerned, obviously you didn't do well! Maybe they should study more!"
>grumbles for a bit more, finally lets me ask my question

>In lecture, explaining to us how something works. He's on mic and kind of mumbles, "Man, I need some tequila" in the middle of lecture

>> No.8524130
File: 35 KB, 280x280, 1419941042554.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8522720
>>8522710
>>8522687
>>8522573
You're such an edgelord, be careful not to cut yourself.

>> No.8524158
File: 333 KB, 780x1583, 1479212232135.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8524116
Let's not pretend they were ever going to need it anyway.

>> No.8524177

>spinor and fermionic combine to spermionic

>> No.8524186

>>8523404
What a filthy whore.

>> No.8524189

>>8523404
>braless, blonde roommate.
boyo i woulda hit the gym so hard that year

>> No.8524204

>>8522531
your prof is a total beta

>> No.8524238

>>8523340
>What's stopping you from drawing your line further up (like between races) or further down (like between animals and plants).

Rights only work as long as they are understood and respected by all parties involved (also they need to be enforceable of course). Animals can't respect the rights of others, so they don't get rights.

If a human infringes on the rights of another human, then we punish them with the power of our societies (government most of the time). We take away rights of the violator, like his property, freedom or even their life. It's a contract between human people: I respect your rights and you respect mine.

Animals can't consent to that social contract or even understand it. That's why they don't have rights, but in turn we also don't expect them to respect our rights.

Once you find an animal that can act as a moral agent in a society of law, then we can talk about giving it rights.

>> No.8524239

>>8521350
/thread

>> No.8524242

>>8522630 >>8522679 >>8523234 >>8523270 >>8524130

He's right though. If you are dying, you have every right to defend yourself. In this case, take what others are hording and not using, and survive. I would even make the case that if both of you were poor, and dying, you would be morally sound in taking their food to survive, rather than dying and letting them survive.

>> No.8524286

>>8522735
What if those pesky capitalists will invest in security firms? :^)

>> No.8524300

>>8524242
>If you are dying
But that's not at all the argument that he was making.

>> No.8524304

This is a pretty good thread

>> No.8524322

>>8522720
I unironically think this has the potential to be a good idea

>> No.8524326

>>8522586
on the subject of morality
>Any subject that doesn't involve mathematic proofs or evidence will have grey areas, that's just how it is.

if you can construct a logical argument you can deconstruct them into logical elements and then implement logical gates from computer science

for specie to survive you need a few guide lines like:
do not steal
do not kill
don't fuck other peoples wives or dont fuck children

examples from history in rough times is no excuse, just because people used to fuck 9 year olds and pillage peoples villages just remind your self these things happen today maybe on a smaller scale but it still happens, just people are more aware how BAD of an outcome these things will make

sure some things are goofy like eating insects but that was because there were limitations on preservation and parasite control, other than that things that are accepted today like having a fatherless child, marketing pure sugar water to both adults and children where they get type 2 diabetes by the time they reach a ripe old age of 14, showing your body in public or losing your virginity before marriage is something /pol/ would call "degenerate

all these things lead to negative outcomes whenever you agree it or not, if you dont trust me trust the numbers at least for god sake, you're on /sci/

>> No.8524356

>>8524238
>Animals can't respect the rights of others, so they don't get rights.
just like humans

also, in liberal societies, property are not seized, as long as the liberals believe they were legally acquired. you can run your legal company in a cell theoretically.

>> No.8524367

>>8524326
>don't fuck other peoples wives

This is perfectly moral.

>> No.8524385

>>8524367
It is indisputably not moral to fuck somebody's wife in any situation, assuming the guy is still alive.

>> No.8524397

>>8524385
>in any situation
I'm not the person you're arguing with, but you shouldn't deal in absolutes like that.

There are situations where it is perfectly moral to fuck someone else's wife. Swingers do it all the time, for example. You may disagree with the notion that this is morally acceptable behavior, but that doesn't negate the fact that others disagree with you in turn and thus the notion of absolute morality in this scenario is nonsense.

>> No.8524424

>>8522531
top spook

>> No.8524431

>>8522710
>kill billionaire
>inherit half his wealth
>become multi millionaire
>somebody kills you
>they inherit half your wealth
>they become millionaires
>somebody kills them

And so on

>> No.8524453

>>8524238
>Animals can't consent to that social contract or even understand it. That's why they don't have rights, but in turn we also don't expect them to respect our rights.
>Once you find an animal that can act as a moral agent in a society of law, then we can talk about giving it rights.

Children can't consent or understand that social contract, and yet they have rights. Checkmate.

>> No.8524461

>>8521102
lol, based

>> No.8524469

>>8522531
Sorry, but your philosophy professor is an idiot.
He's literally contradicting himself.

Even though I agree with the second part, the first part is literally wrong.

>> No.8524471

>>8524469
Also moral philosophy was the worst class I ever took. It reminds me to never wait to sign up for classes.

>> No.8524484

>>8522735
>The thing is that they have to invest in something that won't make them richer
>By obtaining money from other people
>Which can only be done by providing goods and services in return, leading to a net benefit for everyone
>Unless you make it legal for private citizens to coerce via the threat of force, such as by LEGALIZING MURDER
wow

>> No.8524492

>>8522710
>>8522720
>you need shitloads of security to defend yourself
>any given member of your security staff has incentive to use their position to betray and murder you unless your payment to them is worth about 50% of your net worth
>for multiple security people
>at any given instant
And that's not even getting into the part where 50% of a lot of rich people's money is enough to put their killer over the millionaire line too. AHAHAHA this idea just keeps on giving, thanks Anon.

>> No.8524496

>>8523340
>only a continuous spectrum of rights
Oh, like say we don't let animals vote, but also don't torture them for amusement? What a revolutionary moral framework.

>> No.8524497

>>8523355
Roommate as of this year. I'm in my fourth year of my degree. I suppose I should have just wrote friend to avoid autism outbursts like this one.

>> No.8524498

>>8523355
>not pretending to be male is attention-whoring

>> No.8524500

>>8524076
He didn't complain that they were too dumb, he complained that they were unruly and didn't listen.

>> No.8524510

>>8521122
>throw book on the ground, I'm not carrying that shit
>player soccer with it over to my reading chair

>is that a shopping list?
fucking lel

>> No.8524532

>>8524453
They get rights under the assumption that they will understand it when they reach maturity, unlike animals. Though we have exceptions to this advance of rights in the form of abortion. The threshold where we consider a human a person is rather randomly set.

>> No.8524535

Probably the best high school teacher I had:
>high school maths teacher
>jokes about women being shit at maths
>makes comments about voices in his head
>goes on random tangents and spends multiple lessons on proofs which are way above the requirements of the course
>doesn't let you leave the class to get to english tests on time since he hates english
>ripped up his graduation certificate during the ceremony because he hated his principal
>got really fucking grumpy because he wasn't able to smoke on a school camp
>never attended staff meetings then decided to attend one when drama happened

>ask him to write a letter of recomendation for a particular uni course
>he writes them a paragraph on why their criteria is dumb
>I still get in

>> No.8524545

>>8524535
should be
>criteria ARE dumb
Also I forgot that he once accidentally printed the entire year levels exam with the answers on it

>> No.8524598

>>8524535
>>ask him to write a letter of recomendation for a particular uni course
>>he writes them a paragraph on why their criteria is dumb
>>I still get in

What a fucking legend.

>> No.8524600

>>8520805
That guy sounds like a badass

>> No.8524602
File: 1.71 MB, 270x138, 1474565869685.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Russian History professor
>We all thought he was some liberal hippy because he referred to himself as a hippy and talked about how much weed he smoked in the 70s once
>Mentions one time in class that for people interested in his political stances he voted for Reagan twice and Bush Sr

>> No.8524639

>taking complex analysis
>professor asks class if we looked at the proof of the fundamental theorem of algebra over the weekend
>class is silent
>five seconds go by
>"you guys are math majors, right?"
>smirks
>walks to the board and shows us the proof slowly like we're idiots

Fucking Chinese profs

>> No.8524646

>>8520978
The autism is strong with this one.

>> No.8524658

>>8520837

>you were in a lower level math class

brainlet

>> No.8524665

>>8522586
I too disagree with the professor.
I think it would be objectively good if you killed yourself

>> No.8524682

>>8520805
Sounds like a cool guy.

>> No.8524693

>>8524122
This guy sounds like a champ.
10/10 would have lecture with

And fuck premeds, so so much. I don't understand how a major designed with so much prestige can attract the dumbest people. Not all of them are retarded... but enough of them.

>> No.8524791

>Go to ~ 50 yo professor in his office hours
>Office is at end of hall where he can see someone cumming from far away
>I start the long journey down the hall
>we make eye contact
>he gets up, and starts climbing out the fucking window
>I finally get to his door
>See him power walking away outside across the lawn
>ask some older students about him
>'yae, he does that sometimes, he hates office hours'

still not sure what the hell

>> No.8524810

>>8524791
I can understand him. Office hours are brainlet hours. He was probably not in the mood that day to deal with a retard who should just study himself and ask questions to his fucking textbook that already has all the answers for everything.

If I ever become a professor I'd do this every single time.

>> No.8524811

>>8524639
There are proofs even on wikipedia. If you didn't read it over the weekend then you are idiots and your professor was simply treating you like one.

>> No.8524819

>>8524492
Well, you have to consider human decency. No one really wants to be a murdered. The only people who would actually kill are those who are really poor. Those really poor have been really oppressed in society while the very rich are privileged so if the oppressed kill the privileged it is morally okay.

And then as you say the poor would become millionaires and be on the kill list but then all they have to do is donate all their surplus money to charity or if they want to get richer then they have to live with the risks of it.

It is a perfect system, literally 0 flaws.

>> No.8524825

>>8524484
It is not legalizing murder, it is legalizing equality.

Poor people are oppressed, rich people are privileged. If the poor people had the upper hand in anything against the poor then that would imply equality, as the rich already have an upper hand against the poor in other regards.

It would level the playing field. Like, you treat bad your workers? Then they get organized and murder you in your sleep. As easy as that, so you better treat them well.

>> No.8524839

>>8524825
Quality bait

>> No.8524849

>>8521122
Holy kek

>> No.8524884

>>8524825
>it's not legalizing murder
>it's legalizing murder

>> No.8524892

>>8524884
Duh anon, it's not murder if you redefine the word "murder" first.

Sociology already did that with "racism", so why not?

>> No.8524900

>>8524892
This is what I dont like in general about this dumb word redefining.

I had a flame retardant blanket in my Chem lab and when I was giving a tour to some interns I got scolded for calling it a flame RETARDant blanket because it was offensive. Even though the cabinet that held the blanket clearly said "flame retardant cloth"

It's like people can't live in the real world so they cry and whine and demand you change everything

>> No.8524903

>>8524884
I am only legalizing murder against rich people and on the hands on poor people.

It is a moral murder, like if Gandhi killed Hitler.

>> No.8524912

>>8524903
Your philosophy is highly erroneous because you blame others for your own problems as if it's the rich peoples fault for causing your poverty

You would rather everyone be poor and every one stand in line for lettuce soup and bread

>> No.8524914

>>8524912
No, I'd rather have everyone be middle class.

>> No.8524929

>>8524914
You realize the class system is defined by the differentiation between other classes right?

What you're asking for is communism because you somehow think that the rich have everything and if you redistribute everything you'll get none of the riches which is the main crux of communism is that it accomplishes none of the goals, removes all freedom, demonizes success and somehow provides means for everyone while having absolutely none of the ability or provisions to

>> No.8524933

>>8524912
>as if it's the rich peoples fault for causing your poverty
>implying it isn't

>> No.8524936

>>8524933
>IT'S EVERYONE ELSE'S FAULT FOR MY BAD DECISIONS

>> No.8524939

>>8524936
You talk of bad decisions but what if you are born poor?

>> No.8524949

>>8524939
>it's everyone else's fault I was born poor

>yea that rich guy across the world? It's his fault I was born poor please give communism so we can all be the same, poor and sniff farts all day about how much better it is getting the bare minimum to survive

>> No.8524950

>>8524929
>redistribute everything you'll get none of the riches
lmao
>if everyone had health care, education, good, a home, a car ..( etc). then we all would be poor! I can only be middle class if there are people poorer than me!
>I need some people to be in complete homelessness so i dont feel bad about my mediocre accomplishments in le jungle of concrete

>> No.8524952

>>8524929
I am not asking for any kind of redistribution of wealth. That is marxism, I am marxism++.

Instead of redistributing wealth I am imposing laws based on traditional economy and game theory. Instead of taking money away from the wealthy, put incentives in place so that the rich willingly give away their money in ways that will not also make them richer.

The simplest idea is to make it legal to murder rich people so that they hae to spend on security. You give other ideas.

The problem society has is that some people have too much power. I don't want billionaires, I want many millionaires that only together can achieve the reach of billionaires so that then there will actually be competition.

When someone is a billionaire they can buy entire political parties, we see it with both the republicans and democrats. The entire party is bought. But a millionaire? What is a millionaire going to do? Buy a fucking kansas governor? LOL.

We need to break down power and you know it. I know a lot of you faggots like Bernie's plan to break down big banks into several small banks. Why do you think he wants that, huh?

So that no single bank or bank owner can have too much influence. If someone wants to corrupt the system they would have to band with 10 other banks and then everyone will be exposed to backstabbing, as no one has centralized control. Then this system would degrade to no one trying to cheat as it is too risky.

But if you have one single huge billionaire bank then there is no backstabbing because one single guy can influence politics with his money.

If you support Bernie but not me you are literally retarded.

>> No.8524954

>>8524950
Your metaphor is poor, your examples don't work nor are they relevant to the original discussion. Now you're just baiting because you think you're entitled to other people's successes but you're not greedy for demanding another person dies so you can take his shit because you said he was greedy which is just irony

>> No.8524958

>>8524952
>The simplest idea is to make it legal to murder rich people so that they hae to spend on security. You give other ideas.
Holy shit you're justifying genocide all because they have more shit than you

You are killing for raw jealousy and stupidity

>> No.8524962

>>8524936
the proletariat makes no decisions. in capitalism decisions are made solely through capital, and the proletariat has none.
>but you can choose between being a janitor or working at my Donald's!
nice freedom

>> No.8524963

>>8524952
this isn't Marxism, this is a libertarian fantasy

>> No.8524964

>>8524962
>I read a book about communism and I regurgitate everything I read without the simplest understanding of why it flat out doesn't work
>please kill people with more stuff than me because they deserve it

>it's greedy to keep your successes to yourself
>it's not greedy for me to demand you give me money

>> No.8524966

>>8524963
Probably. I've never heard about marxism but I get that they want to take power away from the rich and that is what I want too.

Except for communism. Capitalism is the pinnacle of human economic achievement but we have naive capitalism, we need ZFC Capitalism. You know, add some rules here and there, make it legal to murder the rich, etc.

>> No.8524977

>>8524962
You can choose to be a homeless number the same way you choose to starve because you chose not to try to feed yourself

Your starvation is your fault because you chose not to eat, you chose not to eat because you chose not to work, you chose not to work because you chose to be lazy and because you chose to be lazy you were not successful

Your consequences of your choices are yours to own. You are not entitled to others successes, you are not entitled to the work of others. You are not entitled to anything

>> No.8524983

>>8524964
I'm not the guy arguing for that retarded thing.
but anyway how is the proletariat not entitled to a bigger share?
the capitalist can sit on his phat pike of money and it will just grow. nice hard earned success.
in the current system, workers are paid less than what their labour is worth. the capitalist wins money just bh owning the means of production

>> No.8524989

>>8524983
>but anyway how is the proletariat not entitled to a bigger share?
Burden of proof is on you to show that some group of fucking people deserve more to such a point that they should kill their boss because of some arbitration saying "if he doesn't treat you well enough for your arbitrary standard then kill him "

>> No.8524992

>>8524983
>workers are paid less than what their labour is worth.
People are paid what the labor is worth. Don't like your pay? Ask for more pay or go get a better job it's as simple as that
Labor is a simple function of supply and demand

>> No.8525016

>>8524992
>supply and demand
>implying it isn't constantly manipulated by capitalists or capitalists
the labourer is invariantly paid less. otherwise the capitalist wouldn't have a gain in employing him. capitalism sustains itself by this continuous extraction of the working class.
>but it is the natural way how things should be!
>muh social Darwinism!

>> No.8525017

>>8522720
Sounds like a better version of the purge

>> No.8525020

>>8524900
In fairness, when you said "I had a flame retardant blanket" in my Chem lab I thought you were referring to a retarded faggot student at first.

>> No.8525029

>>8524952
>What is a millionaire going to do? Buy a fucking kansas governor?

You know that a millionaire can't spend much more than $40k/yr without eventually running out of money, right? This is basic retirement planning.

It's tough for a single person to live on less than $20k/yr in the US; $40k/yr will get you to the "use Instacart all the time" level of luxury. You absolutely cannot buy politicians whose take-home is over $100k with this kind of money.

Also, does somebody count as a millionaire if their wealth is tied up in illiquid assets? How about highly volatile ones whose valuation drops below a million frequently? How about consumer goods that have very little resale value? How about options or other derivatives that don't have markets and are hard to place a value on? How about savings funds which don't allow withdrawal before retirement?

>> No.8525033

>>8520805
>>"No one in here practices random mating, right?"
>>grill at the front knods her head
hahah what?

>> No.8525035

>>8522734
>algebra 1
>high school
Fucking what nigger?

>> No.8525039

>>8525016
>>implying it isn't constantly manipulated by capitalists or capitalists
>the labourer is invariantly paid less.
OK because you can't seem to think outside the vacuum here's a good example.

Plumbers, contractors, and welders are 3 huge dying trades in America that have seen a huge swathe of rising wages due to the fact that people aren't becoming any of these positions. This makes the price to hire a welder shoot through the roof as the demand for welders remained relatively the same and the supply dwindled. This is how a trade skill benefits highly from low supply of labor for high demand situations. There is no manipulation from "the capitalist" or what ever made up term you wanna juxtapose onto something. The same goes for unskilled laborers who have no valuable skill and are paid what they're worth because the job is easy and the labor supply is high and the demand is low.

If you offer nothing of value you are worthless. Don't confuse this for some master plot to convolute and manipulate money into somehow being everyone else's fault but yours. Your degree in underwater basket weaving doesn't Magically become valuable under any other event notices system and you sure as he'll don't become any more successful by somehow ripping down all the successful people in your own jealousy

An employer buys your labor what ever it may be. You aren't entitled to some extra arbitrary amount because you say so and this reversal effect doesn't Magically take place where you some how elevate because you somehow make more which is a slippery slope for "more more more" because the "you aren't being paid what your labor is s ACTUALLY worth" is completely made up in itself. OK so you get paid more o what ever you think you're owed and why would that ever quell your thirst for demanding more and more and more because you suddenly feel "I'm not getting paid enough"

It's a superfluous round about way of entitlement regardless of your personal endeavors or consequences

>> No.8525054

>>8525029
The entire point is that no one has enough money to buy politicians. So millionaires are okay. Being a multi millionaire should be the top aspiration.

Regarding measure, we simply have to measure wealth in the way forbes does it. Considering all assets but depending on the type of asset devaluing them to not overestimate.

>> No.8525058

>>8525039
Also you want to "empower" people by ripping everything that would enable a person to be successful by demonizing it and making everyone the same? Where the actual personal incentives to even go forth and do more when you're always being held back by a meme ideology that says you're not equal if your neighbor wants a second widget?

He'll communism in Russia immediately started to faulted in world War one where the communist industries couldn't support or supply all the troops with a rifle to the point that for every 2 solders deployed there was only 1 rifle

Even worse the idea that things somehow stop being scarce because of the retarded notion that all scarcity is artificially made up by the bourgeois lead to the great Ukrainian famine that killed some 30m people so Stalin could feed his own people. They somehow seem to forget that rare materials don't Magically stop being rare just because you abolish capitalism and suddenly gold isn't rare anymore despite you not being able to produce enough to supply? If that's not scarcity I don't know what is

>> No.8525064

>>8521036
Good advice desu.

>> No.8525081

> be me
> be in industrial engineering class
> a friend of mine is chubby
> he don't want to work
> Prof starts argumentations about why he should work
> Friend don't want to work
> prof says that he's fat, he's shit and he's the main reason of the Securité Social deficit
> All the class start laughing
> My friend lose his shit and start crying

Also

> In physics class
> Prof looks kind of gay
> A student ask him if he have a wife
> He starts talking about all the women he dated and says "j'en ai démoulé de la morue" wich means "i've unmold a lot of cod" aka I've fucked a lot of women
> We then learned that he fucked a professor in a neighbour college and made her pregnant and then started working in this college

>> No.8525105

>>8522843
whats so hard to understand? he was holding a technical lecture and the subject was flip flops for saving information (using master slave method).

>> No.8525106

>>8525081
>he dont want to work
I dont understand, what work?

>> No.8525110

>>8525106
class work, we were working on solidworks

>> No.8525363

>>8525035
What's wrong?
It was 9th grade.

>> No.8525370

there was an exchange student from Gahanna and the teacher was always ask her about the cheetahs and lions and elephants in the classroom

>> No.8525389

>thread about funny stories that happened in class
>turns to political debate
wtf. get the fuck out with your political shit.

>> No.8525396

>>8525035
In my high school the smarter kids took algebra 1 in middle school, but most kids took algebra 1 as freshmen. The really dumb kids took pre-algebra as freshmen, and so didn't take algebra 2 until they were seniors.

>> No.8525414

>>8525054
> The entire point is that no one has enough money to buy politicians. So millionaires are okay. Being a multi millionaire should be the top aspiration.

Your quality of life measurably increases up to around 25 million dollars (at which point your financial income is reliably over a million in pre-tax dollars). At this point you personally can have considerable sway over individual politicians, maybe, but not very many. You're also unable to start charities, start businesses in many industries, be a significant venture capitalist, or any of the other social goods that very wealthy people can and do do.

But even this cutoff, which is higher than your suggestion while still being low enough to have enormous social damage, is still unworkable.

You suggest using Forbes' methodology, but Forbes misses several extremely wealthy people who hide their wealth well to avoid attention; they would also miss moderately wealthy people such as doctors who hide their wealth to avoid being a lawsuit target. And these people are hiding their money with *way less incentive* than the potential of being murdered.

>> No.8525417
File: 134 KB, 500x281, 1480697894841.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8520805
Bio anthro professor
>Race comes up
>"Race is a paradox because it is and is not biological at the same time. It is culture that determines what determines race but there IS biological differences that can be divvied up."
>Seems legit, look around, some people are nodding like it makes sense and others look like they're about to scream 'keep your hate speech off our campus!'

Nutrition Professor
>Indian as fuck
>Two african-american students of utmost respect are talking loud
>Professors asks nicely for them to be quiet and pay attention
>"Pffft fuck her and her retarded axent."
>Whole room was dead silent and this was heard echoing through the room
>Professor does nothing
>Class ends
>Professor calls them down
>Tells them that she's removing them from her course for racist behavior
>"We cain't be racis we's black!"
>"Well then since I'm Indian I guess I can't be racist when I say to get your kaffir selves out of my class!"

>> No.8525462

>>8525396
I didn't know you could take Algebra 1 in middle school. What the fuck was I missing?

>> No.8525466

>>8521122
this isn't funny in the slightest, it reads like someone trying too hard to be funny

>> No.8525470

>>8525081
> We then learned that he fucked a professor in a neighbour college and made her pregnant and then started working in this college
He stole her powers?

>> No.8525598

>>8522452
Kek.

>> No.8525599

>>8521112
You seriously sound like someone who has never seen a vagina in person

>> No.8525609

>>8521131
Spotted the assblasted military cuck

>> No.8525621

>>8525470
Kek, no he was already a teacher at the time, he quited and started over in my school

>> No.8525628

>>8523468
Most public universities in the US require this

>> No.8525632

>>8524791
Did you live through the events of Catch-22?

>> No.8525634
File: 48 KB, 499x636, 1470177680643.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8525621
>quited

>> No.8525661

>>8525634
What's the correct word?

>> No.8525806

>>8525628
What? So if you live with your parents a mile from school you are required to rent an additional living space which is smaller and shittier?

I can't believe this is true.

>> No.8525862

>>8524532
What about mentally disabled people who will never reach maturity and never understand the social contract? I agree with what you're saying I just don't think you can call it an absolute.

>> No.8525876

>>8525661
Not him but quit is also the past tense.

>> No.8525891

>>8524819
>Well, you have to consider human decency.
I think the decent thing to do is kill the millionaire and distribute enough wealth to other people people until I only have $999,999.99 so that nobody can legally murder me.

>> No.8525918
File: 35 KB, 306x448, unabomber.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

one of my professors was talking about the unabomber and how he sent a bomb to the guy who made the Linda language and a black guy in the class said something about it could be a movie. The professor said it could, and asked him if he wanted to play the unabomber, but then appended, "sorry, you'd have to be a white guy."

>> No.8526031

>>8521122
what exactly is funny about this?

>> No.8526201

>>8522573
Ask me how I know you're black.

>> No.8526227

>>8526031
There's nothing inherently funny about the collection of lines that form the words of his post.

What is funny about it depends on how an individual interprets the collection of words.

For instance, some people may assume you're a retard due to how they interpret your post.

>> No.8526261

>>8523314
flashbacks to my accounting courses in undergrad. even good professors make a fuckton f little mistakes either in grading, writing questions, or other doing examples... After 3 semesters of accounting/related classes I no longer trust any financial statements or documents to be error free.

>> No.8526570

>>8524791
Dr. Jones?

>> No.8526674

>Soil Mechanics class
>TA has been filling in for the professor for like the whole term
>TA has strong accent
>When the class got a bit rowdy, she would yell 'Focus Class!'
>Accent turns it to FUCK US CLASS
>No one told her why it was funny

>> No.8526893

>"If we could take one kilometer of cubic sea water..."

>> No.8527105

>>8526570
>>8525632
I dont know what this means

>>8525632
I do know this is a book though

I assume this happened in the book?

>> No.8527145

>>8522586
>>8522573
Found the /leftypol/

>> No.8527158

>>8521036
you do realize lots of female professors get married after they start their career and get their names hyphenated so people can trace their older work, right? or do you think it's good for someone in a career based mostly on last-name recognition to totally change their name and hope for the best?

>> No.8527169

>>8521122
r/4channers unite!

>> No.8527178

>>8522573
>it is OK to kill a person because they're wealthy

This anon is the type of guy who vandalizes your nice neighborhood with his sharpie.

>> No.8527180

>>8523229
wow, how profound

unbelievable idiot

>> No.8527273

>>8523090
sup trasimachus. kill yourself

>> No.8527300

>>8526674
kek

>> No.8527303

>>8520837

The switching of the higher level and lower level students is as useless as it is mean. All it accomplishes is showing the lower level students how dumb they are and showing themail higher level students how dumb the lower level is. I don't understand what else the point of this could be. The higher level teacher didn't even explain the symbols he was writing. Say what you want about the basketball Americans but at least one of them had some shread of curiosity when they asked what the hell the sigma was.

Why would they pay attention if they had magnitudes less of a clue about what was happening on the board than when they were in their proper class? I wouldn't, especially if the teacher didn't take the time to explain what he was teaching in the higher level courses and why; talking about conics like they were supposed to follow.

This idea is just dumb.

>> No.8527305

>>8524811
He never asked us to and it wasnt even a proofs-based course

>> No.8527312

>>8521122
sometimes I wish /sci/ was less autistic.
You guys deserved to be bullied if you consider that post "funny".

>> No.8527706

>>8525634
Fuck off he's obviously foreign and it's a small mistake

>> No.8527727

>>8527305
are you a math major?

>> No.8527943

>>8524693

Premeds are dumb because the path to a doctor requires literally no thought or creativity. It's just a checklist
>3.7-4.0 gpa
>premed classes
>bio major (not actually required but its the easiest one for premed)
>take mcat
>volunteer a bunch
>go to med school
>graduate med school, become doctor
>Set for life

it's like a checklist to "How to become Rich and Powerful with 10 easy steps!" Zero thinking for themselves, so it attracts retards, competitors (I swear some premeds think they're playing in the NFL of academics), and neurotics.

Thankfully, most of them fail.

>> No.8528344

>>8524639
?
If you're too stupid to raise your fucking hand and give him some feedback then you ARE an idiot.

>> No.8528346

>>8524791
lol'd

>> No.8528353

>>8525417
>things that never happened

>> No.8528586
File: 76 KB, 1148x764, Reggie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Senior in High School
>Decide to take Environmental Science as an elective to get an easy A
>Find out it's the teacher's first class he's ever taught
>Also find out the class is just brainlets who couldn't even pass Bio
>One day, he gives us a beaker full of motor oil, coffee grounds, and water and has us try to purify it
>Everyone in class immediately decides to boil it
>A thick, black smoke starts to form from students beaker
>Has genius idea to put water into boiling fucking oil
>Kids running around room screeching
>Give look to teacher that says, "What the fuck? Aren't you going to do something.
>Gives me one of these

Dropped the class that day.

>> No.8528657

>>8527303
I am a xenophobe and I really like this argument.

>> No.8529036

>>8521038
do you speak english?

>> No.8529043

>Physics II, Electromagnetism
>Always uses showers as examples for vector fields
>Always uses cats for arbitrary sketches
>Literally weeks of awkward diagrams in our notes trying to draw his cats
>when we get to Gauss's law , his overcomplicated setup finally pays off and he 'gets the pussy wet'
>No one in class laughs

>> No.8529050

>>8525417
>>Tells them that she's removing them from her course for racist behavior
>>"We cain't be racis we's black!"
>>"Well then since I'm Indian I guess I can't be racist when I say to get your kaffir selves out of my class!"
absolute destruction

>> No.8529066

>>8529043
Please show me your notes

>> No.8529255
File: 201 KB, 470x595, 50a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anatomy professor here:
>subbing for another prof's lab
>doing some god-awful computer lab experiment I would never inflict on my own kids
>all of us are bored as fuck, I'm just watching them click away on the computers
>remember there are jars with human fetuses under the sink in the next room
>nobody ever displays them, I don't think most of my colleagues even know they're there
>ranging from 2 weeks to 6 months
>hey kids, want to see a baby in a jar?
>explain to them what we have
>enthusiastic interest
>go into other room, grab a few jars
>bring them back into computer room and pass them around
>don't drop them! you'll get baby juice everywhere!
>return jars under sink, grab some more
>pass them around
>everyone interested/grossed out
>woke them up at least
>while returning those jars, have a wicked idea
>fill Dixie cup with tap water
>walk back into computer room
>Okay guys here I have another jar-
>pretend to drop the "jar", dash the water onto one of the computer desks
>little water splashes go everywhere
>looks of absolute HORROR as they genuinely believe they are splattered with aborted fetus
>stunned silence for a split second
>smile and hold up the cup
>collective sigh of relief, everyone laughs
they must have told their regular prof I was a total spaz

>> No.8529286

>>8529255
pretty based, my dude

>> No.8529425

>>8528657

What are you implying? That varied ability in math is the same or similar to different county of origin?

>> No.8529438

>>8521036

This one isnt really fair, many of them do it for publication reasons.

If it was in a non science field though, yeah.

>> No.8529452

>>8521318
Anyone have that pic of dietary scientists reinventing riemann sums?

>> No.8529458

>>8522687
Yea man mill- and billionares with private armies would really be a big improvement over the current situation.

>> No.8529477

>>8527273
Socratesian kek

>> No.8529487

>>8525628
What an atrocious, oppressing standard, to deprive students of their right to live where they please. This makes me sick.

>> No.8529606

>>8529043
Kek

>> No.8530319

>>8522573
Think about it this way.

Every atrocity that has ever been committed against humanity has used your philosophy as justification.

>> No.8530522

>>8525417
>kaffir selves
based dot

>> No.8530594

>>8522738
Bigger government sucks though, bureaucracy is a wasteful behemoth that eats a bigger cut the larger you make it