[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 56 KB, 640x480, ISS.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8434654 No.8434654 [Reply] [Original]

Is there any way to turn protium into deuterium? Bombarding it with a neutron beam maybe?

It just seems to me like there should be a way to make it artificially instead of extracting it from nature.

Picture unrelated but pretty

>> No.8434770

>>8434654
I guess you could
but you seriously think transmutation is easier than separation?

>> No.8434871

>>8434654
Congratz on watching a pop sci video on nuclear fusion! I recommend reading Wikipedia as your next great achievement. If you had read the Wikipedia pages for hydrogen, deuerium and the proton you may have learned that protons turn into deuterons in the sun through nuclear fusion. Or maybe you would have noticed that protons absorb neutrons and become deuterons. In fact, you may even have realized that collecting deuterium from nature is really easy (compared to managing neutrons or proton proton fusion anyways).
Maybe someday after you read some Wikipedia articles you'll even deduce that deuterium can also be made by nuclear fission (though its an uncommon fission product and mixed with lots of radioactive isotopes).

>> No.8434888

>>8434654
Yes, there is a way to do that, but it's not economical at all, especially because it will be pretty hard not to make any other radioactive shit that you want to keep separate from the deuterium. So you end up with expensive separation methods anyway.

>> No.8435812

>>8434654
>Is there any way to turn protium into deuterium?

Yes.