[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 16 KB, 297x400, David Hilbert.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8416168 No.8416168 [Reply] [Original]

Spend a year to completely solve P Versus NP, then spend another year coding a super cool computer program that would pull in an estimated revenue of $25,000 a month. I'm 24 right now, I'd be 26 when I actually start my pure Mathematics program leading to a Ph.D. It'd take me roughly a total of 8 years to eventually get my Ph.D. That means I'd be 34 when I graduate with my doctorate. I'd be 32 otherwise but the difference seems unimportant. The problem leading to this plan is that I've been hospitalized every semester of my actually attempting to do a course in math. It may seem improbable that I'll actually solve the problem but I have some reasons for you to believe otherwise. 1.) I have an extremely high IQ. I got scored a 172 IQ on a well-known intelligence test I took shortly after I was released from the psychiatric hospital this last spring. 2.) I'm on a very sedating antipsychotic injection. This seems counter intuitive but it's not. The sedation increases my efficacy at solving problems by making dormant the parts I'm not willfully using to solve it. 3.) I have a lot of faith. And a lot of coffee.

>> No.8416173

If you're so smart, then perhaps you'd already know.

>> No.8416184

>>8416168
>psychiatric hospital
>antipsychotic injection

You might have delusions of grandeur, or you might be the next John Nash. My money is on the former unless you ever studied at an Ivy League school.

Saging because this is better-suited for >>>/adv/.

>> No.8416196

>>8416184
Could it be that I'm actually suffering the symptoms of mental illness right now without knowing it? I feel absolutely stable.

>> No.8416207

>>8416196
it sounds incredibly likely. Delusions are tricky in that they seem entirely 100% real and indistinguishable from the rational real world.

>> No.8416238

>>8416168
>I'm going to solve a major open problem

This in itself is not crazy, assuming you have the training to do it.

>I'm going to solve a major open problem in the next year

This is crazy. There is no precedent for it, and you can't predict how long it will take you. Most likely if you solve it it will take around a decade or two.

>> No.8416987
File: 54 KB, 581x307, disturbed sleep.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8416196
People only believe their delusions because they don't know that they're delusions. Psychologists refer to that as a lack of "insight".

This fact kind of mindfucks me, personally, because it makes me sometimes wonder if I'm crazy without knowing it. If I were crazy, from my point of view, it'd seem like I'm completely rational. The only indicator I'd have to suggest that I'm mad is the word of my psychologist, friends and family.

>> No.8417027

>>8416196
You do sound like a crazy person, to be fair.

>> No.8417031

>>8416238

This. There are people much more educated than you who have spent the last three decades working on this problem.

Hell, both my graduate and undergraduate degrees are from an Ivy league school, and I've been hitting my head against this problem since my junior year. By the time I entered graduate school (two years after that point), the most I had done was independently derive many of the things I was later taught as a graduate student.

Feel free to work on the problem, but don't delude yourself about it. My advice would be to educate yourself on complexity theory. There are many equally interesting open problems out there: for the sake of illustration, there's the L vs NL problem, the coNP vs NP problem, the problem of the relationship of NP to P/poly, and many others. Since you're interested in P vs NP specifically, you could also pursue a more general question: is there a finite point to which the polynomial hierarchy collapses? The answer to this final question could potentially even give you insight on the P vs NP problem (P = NP would indicate that the polynomial hierarchy collapses completely; P =/= NP would indicate that the hierarchy may only collapse at or after the first level.)

>> No.8417036

>>8416168
>Solve P/NP in a year
Look, it'd be really cool if you could, don't get me wrong. But it sounds like you've got bigger problems and trying to solve something that extreme could break you as a person worse than you may have already been.

>> No.8417100

>>8416168
if you can solve P vs NP, you just don't need a Ph. D