[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 72 KB, 900x900, IMG_0490.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8413571 No.8413571[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Well /sci/.....

All of my courses for the previous 5 years had final grades based on exams.
Having an A in these courses would reflect receiving A's on exams and quizzes.

I like this method since 1) it weeds people out and the class gets smaller and quieter 2) there is complete transparency in the meaning of the grades with no ambiguity of buffer points like class participation / engagement / homework and shit.

Anyways, one of my graduate statistics courses utilizes participation points.

I don't go to class on Monday because I have to work every Monday, I told my professor this prior this prior to enrolling and all the exams are on Friday - no big deal

Anyways...I receive 0s for participation since I'm not "actively engaged during Monday's" despite getting A's on the exams

my midterm grade is a B- (80% or higher required to pass)

How do you feel about participation points? Why the fuck do professors still utilize these buffer points when the entire purpose of a course is to understand the material?

no employer is worried about how well someone participated in class

>> No.8413578
File: 1.73 MB, 6000x5606, frogman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this is why i only enroll in classes that don't have a retard syllabus

>> No.8413581

The buffer points system is in place to ensure undisciplined pseuds go to class rather than playing video games and smoking weed out their dorm windows. It's a one size fits all solution that sucks for everyone else. Academia in general is littered with permutations of this problem; broken systems designed to make academia look good.