[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 670 KB, 536x537, ESgLXgT.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8407238 No.8407238 [Reply] [Original]

How do I get better at retaining information? I sort of fucked myself over by slacking off all of my undergraduate (3.2 GPA). I am in my final year of my BS chem degree with graduate school offers. I feel like I haven't learned shit. How much of the undergraduate course curriculum is really necessary? I only reteach myself little aspects of chemistry and grammar because I am trying to publish.

>> No.8407743

>>8407238
>I sort of fucked myself over by slacking off all of my undergraduate (3.2 GPA).
>I am in my final year of my BS chem degree with graduate school offers.

First, how do you have grad school offers already? Is this medical school? I ask because, from what I've seen, PhD programs interview around Jan/Feb/March.

Nonetheless, if you have grad school offers, then how did you fuck yourself over? You got into grad school, you're good. Enjoy your last year of undergrad.

>How much of the undergraduate course curriculum is really necessary?

Once you're past intermediate-level classes (physical, analytical, maybe organic though that's more intro), it mostly depends on your research interests in grad school.

>> No.8407748
File: 118 KB, 736x1007, 1456901901165.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I never finished high school, but I could rote memorize back then. I didnt study for a few years and lost the ability to study.

I'm in law now with a distinction average, which means I'm doing better than all the normies who got top of their classes and schools when they finished school.

Here's the summary though: Memorizing is worthless. In current year it's about being able to be creative and find the information you need.

Our parents had textbooks and couldn't parse thousands of pages in literally a second. We have ctrl + f, we can search databases for all kinds of data instantly.

Memorizing is outdated, don't sweat it.

Are you confident you can find the answer to a question? If yes, you'll do well. If no, you're fucked.

>> No.8407757
File: 206 KB, 1000x667, c682b5d4-4ac8-4c59-abf0-ed684186449b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8407748
>Memorizing is outdated

Memorisation will always be the quickest way to find something.