[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.10 MB, 560x240, 1415181213027.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8393438 No.8393438 [Reply] [Original]

Ask a math bachelor anything

or

A math bachelor asks: what have I done with my life?

>> No.8393463

no one cares

>> No.8393474

>>8393438
Freshman math major here.

What jobs have you had/done?

>> No.8393499

>>8393474
I'm only just about to graduate and I had a lot of life problems during my degree so no real jobs so far. I got a couple jobs over the years as an office monkey just by flashing my major, and being nice to talk to. Now I'm at a crossroads where I have to decide between science and finance for the immediate future...
Do you have a focus within Math yet?

>> No.8393505

Math doctor reporting in-choose finance, 300k starting as they say around here. I'm mid career at a liberal arts college and I want to tear my hair out dealing with students. The knowledge this will be my condition until my death is galling. It gets boring educating people, you'll want to stay apace with peers as you age, buying cars and traveling. A career in academics typically won't open those doors for you, however, the profits reaped in finance will allow you to do anything that you want. The down side of that of course is you'll work alongsidemthe worst people alive, but as you age, you disciber that's true wherever you land, so you might as well land on rich.

>> No.8393519

Lol at not getting your PhD and then going into finance

brainlet confirmed

a career in academia is entirely unfruitful and worthless. Your contributions will be useless. You will be underpaid and slaving away to dummies who've been in longer. At least in industry, you'll be well paid while doing so.

leave the real math to my boy Terry

Thanks and bye

>> No.8393521

>>8393505
Great post, thanks for the input. Where do you suggest I start? Hedge fund internships? Actuary exams? It all does sound pretty mortifying, but I am all about he bottom line.
I don't really have an interest in academia, but more engineering and commercial research... Sadly I think it would take me at least another degree to make that transition.

>> No.8393525

>>8393519
>PhD
Is this really necessary for finance?

>leave the real math to my boy Terry
With pleasure. I never said I studied Pure math...

>> No.8393530

>>8393499
>Do you have a focus within Math yet?

I like programming even before starting my degree so computational mathematics.

Also doing actual algebra made me realize that algebra is not gay and that I want to fuck group theory and then cuddle with her.

So Algebraic computational mathematics? Something like that.

Doing research in either would be fine but mixing them up would be the best.