[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 469 KB, 1362x2048, 1462168119105.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8361652 No.8361652 [Reply] [Original]

I haven't taken science seriously for a long time. 19 now, but had high interest in basic physics when I was in 6th grade. Since then I withdrew to fantasy worlds within videogames and literature.

The way I see it, I can either further pursue fiction and become a writer, or I can rekindle my interest in science. Any thoughts or advice on this? Figure I'll choose something and obsessively practice it.

>> No.8361734

>>8361652
what interests you? Do that.

That is literally the only piece of advice you could get. Having said that, I am happy to answer questions if you have any.

>> No.8361779
File: 183 KB, 1600x835, literally.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ITT

>> No.8361811

>>8361652
Don't get into science if you aren't madly devoted to pursuing knowledge. You'll just waste your time.

If you're hesitating between the two, I say go for fiction author. It's not an insult, but one of those two requires a deep interest.

>> No.8361826

>>8361734
>>8361811
I'm interested in how the brain functions. If you guys could recommend some readings in that area, I could start reading and gauge from there how interested I actually am.

Also how much time do you guys spend a day enveloped in sciences/learning? Not just schooling

>> No.8361870
File: 1.52 MB, 2625x2625, Toxoplasma_gondii.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8361826
well from that you either wany Neurology or Psychology. If you want to do science, the former, if not then the latter. A second hand Neuro textbook should not set you back much on Amazon, that would allow you to test the water. I could not recommend you one specifically however.

I am a Doctoral researcher so I spend the majority of my day engaged in my subject to one degree or another. The rest of the time I spend climbing. You will find that at the higher levels you will have time for about one other thing in your life. Having said that, if you are truly passionate about what you do, this is just an observation and quirk of doing scientific research rather than an unfortunate sacrifice.

Myself, I am a Parasitologist. You may have seen a few of my threads as I am pretty sure I am the only one here.

>> No.8361930

>>8361870
Thanks for the help. That's an interesting perspective to have about your work. From what I understand most people don't enjoy their time in the office and their hobby is their solace.

I guess if I start procrastinating reading or if I start looking forward to the end of the chapter, then that's a pretty good sign I'm not where I belong.

>> No.8361954

>>8361930
>From what I understand most people don't enjoy their time in the office and their hobby is their solace.

Don't get me wrong, I am only human so I get bored at times too. Sometimes the work is not stimulating or I am getting shit results or I am just not feeling it that day. If I only did things when you enjoy them then I would lack drive and discipline; two things that are absolutely necessary in a good scientist. However most days I find research a joy.

I am also acutely aware that my hobby keeps me sane and balances my life effectively. Without that balance, work can lose its sparkle no matter how passionate you are.

>> No.8361975

>>8361954
One more question, and this comes from the point of view of a naiive outsider to the academic world. Why is it that some scientists and their work are renowned? If everyone within the field is doing intelligent and mostly important work, why are some bounds in science revered, perpetuating the researchers as rockstars, while other work is lightly acknowledged?

Is it just an individual's capacity to make bigger strides in the given field than another?

>> No.8362970

>>8361975
While it is true that every scientist is doing (or at least should be doing) work that is to some degree important, some scientists make breakthroughs and discoveries that are more important than others.

For example, if I develop a new way of producing hydrogen by genetically manipulating organisms to produce it as a metabolite, that is of vast importance, since that tech does not yet exist in a capacity that is applicable on an industrial scale. This progression would be much more deserving of recognision than if I, for example, sequenced the genome of a new subtype of a species of plant fungus. There are progressions that could come from this, but this work in and of itself is not particularly groundbreaking, just handy.

Its all about the impact of the research and how much influence it will have on other peoples research. Maybe it changes the way we think about something, or solves a famous problem, or makes a new and important discovery. These are the scientists that will be talked about and remembered.