[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 80 KB, 1333x900, 245.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8276814 No.8276814 [Reply] [Original]

>be me
>study math about 10 hours a day everyday
>study calculus on manifolds and topology
>need to get into college
>don't have any way to prove I know some math since I've always studied by myself
>mfw

>> No.8276821

>>8276814
>don't have any way to prove I know some math
>write vector calculus exam
>get 95%

>> No.8276830

>>8276814
what the fuck are you talking about
ask them to test you, written or oral, or do a writeup of some short but hard proof / topic

>> No.8276836

You didn't study 10 hours a day.

Stop trying to impress us.

Ask the university to give you an admissions test or something.

>> No.8276837

>>8276814
>>don't have any way to prove I know some math since I've always studied by myself

Type up some of the exercises you do in LaTeX (proof read them and make it nice)
Go to the math department and speak to an adviser
Tell them what books you have read and show them some of your work
You may not be able to get college credit for all or any of them but they might let you skip into graduate courses.

>> No.8276871

>>8276814
What kind of experience do you have?

If you don't have a bachelors you'll need to take some community college classes in that subject to at least prove your work ethic.

If you have a bachelors then do the same thing but with non-matriculated masters classes.

And if you perform well in the classes, then you might even get good recommendations from your professors.

>> No.8276892

>>8276871
Why are you taking him so serious, he's a dumb frog poster.

>> No.8276906

>>8276892
>hurr durr forgposters are le dumb

What do you have against frogposters?

>> No.8276913

I believe theres a test that goes all the way through calc 3 you can take at any uni, CC may go up to calc 2

>> No.8277017

>>8276814
>10 hours a day everyday
Where do you get such time? I get stuck looking at this stuff for two hours a night, a few days a week only because I have shit to do and so little time.

>> No.8277031

>>8277017
Frogposters are NEETS.

>> No.8277035

Go to your local CC and take all the CLEP exams all the way up to Differential Equations. You might need to take some science classes and some bullshit AA classes but at most it will take you 1-2 years. Then you can transfer out to a real college for a bachelor's.

t. transfer student about to enter my state's flagship university.

>> No.8277115

OP I know what you mean.

If This is what you're getting at: you spent a lot of time studying math, want to get into an elite college, but don't actually have anything to show for all that time you spent studying.

Well, I personally studied a lot of analysis and name dropped Rudin and shit and mentioned it as an activity in my apps, and I got into a few elite schools, but also rejected from some.

I don't think attaching latexed solutions to your app would do anything because 1. adcoms wont get it, and 2. you could have just copied some shit online.

I didn't do this, but maybe email your admissions counselor and also possibly someone at the math department at these schools to see if there's anyway you can verify your knowledge.

Good luck! The college application process sucks.

>> No.8277124

>>8277017
Same poster as above. This summer (graduated senior going into college) I've put in even 11-12 hour days because I have no job and also we moved so no friends. It's entirely possible. My schedule was wake up at 10, study until 2, eat and relax for half an hour, study until dinner at 7, get back at it at 7:30, and study to 11-11:30. Relax and do whatever for 3-4 hours. Wash, rinse, repeat.

So basically, no job no social life.