[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 28 KB, 540x960, IMG_1468322368740.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8253111 No.8253111[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hi /sci/, rising college freshman here. Considering applied physics and applied or pure math double major, ideas?

>> No.8253119
File: 1.23 MB, 500x281, animated pepe.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Reminder: /sci/ is for discussing topics pertaining to science and mathematics, not for helping you with your homework or helping you figure out your career path.

>If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/ - Advice.

>> No.8253131

>>8253119
>implying anyone follows the "rules" anymore
The stickies on every board were written years ago and haven't been touched since. Nobody enforces the rules and nobody cares.

>> No.8253134

>>8253111
tell us more about your interests, and why you think these are the right careers for you

>>8253119
backseat modding is fucking retarded. these threads are on point much more than the shitty popsci gargabe that goes around

>> No.8253170

>>8253134
Not entirely sure what I'm interested in but I do enjoy physics and engineering and applied physics seems a good go between. Also love math and I think applied math could make me more versatile in the work force. Planning to intern for a professor this semester and gain experience in different fields. Then after undergrad, go into grad school part time and specialize.

>> No.8253201

>>8253170
here's a tip: forget about the workforce right now. if you're the kind of person who likes math and physics you are smart. this means you should NOT think like the retarded masses who are just hoping to go and get a mediocre job in the most efficient possible way.

you need to find what you like. and for that the only way is to get a hands-on approach. you won't really understand what engineering / physics / pure math / applied math means until you actually go and work through some of it. so for a hands on approach you could either start reading an introductory book on any of them or something that explains what they are in a good way. The Princeton Companion to Mathematics is a nice overview of things in math, I don't know how hard it's going to be for you to follow it. I don't know about something similar for physics.

a more traditional way that can't fail is to take full advantage of electives in your institution. go to an institution which has good programs in all your options, and while taking the cores, take classes in all of your choices. you'll quickly understand what they're like and be able to make a more informed choice.

If you have specific questions about math feel free to ask, I'll check for a while

>> No.8253220

>>8253201
>I don't know about something similar for physics.
The Companion itself suggests Roger Penrose's The Road to Reality as a physics/applied math alternative. Though that book doesn't seem as beginner-friendly as the Companion.

>> No.8253241

>>8253220
>>8253201
Whoa thank you both for the advice! Appreciate it. I've already scheduled a talk with the dean of applied physics, hopefully I'll be able to glean some knowledge about the major. I'll check out the books as well. And hopefully I'll get some hands on knowledge this fall.

>> No.8253309
File: 29 KB, 398x387, 1406388114996.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8253111
>applied or pure math
Is this honestly not a meme in burgerland? Are "applied" and "pure" math really two distinct studies?
That's absolutely hilarious.

>> No.8253317

>>8253309
how so? they're very, very different fields, this distinction isn't american, it's standard worldwide.
for undergrad it doesn't make that much of a difference since the core you need for any math is big enough as is, so there isn't usually a distinction at this level, but it definitely does if you start taking more advanced classes

>> No.8253324

>>8253317
>responding to obvious trolls who don't know what they're talking about
Why does /sci/ always do this?