[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 53 KB, 460x300, grothendieck-460x300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8232237 No.8232237[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Is mathematics a science or a religion?

PROTIP: in what sense a point or muh cartesian coordinate system exist?

And if it is a religion should it be founded by the state? Or banned completely as a superstition?

>> No.8232244

>>8232237
It's definitely a religion, but it's also the only religion which is true.

Mathematical entities exist in the platonic sense. That is, when discussing math in human language, we are really talking about the abstract form.

I'm not sure why you want the state to be involved in religion.

>> No.8232249

>>8232244

so, is the axiom of choice true?

and so if it is a religion, what do you worship there? what is a criterion of the truth? is it "muh sacred book said so"? or "an old man with a beard taught me that in the classes"?

>> No.8232252

>>8232249
Axiom of choice is true because if we think about the platonic form of a set, it's obvious that given an arbitrary non-empty collection of non-empty sets, there is a function which maps each set in the collection to an element of that set.

If you want to know why forms of mathematical concepts actually exist, go read Plato.

>> No.8232257

>>8232252

I am not sure religion should be studied at the university.

They are already removing philosophy and claim "religions are sources of all evil in this world".