[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 204 KB, 800x450, ap-physics-2-textbook_167654_large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8225948 No.8225948 [Reply] [Original]

Science virgin here
How exactly do I get into physics?
I tried khanacademy but it's not really doing it for me. It works well for math but I dont feel like I'm learning anything substantial when watching most physics related tutorials

>> No.8225952

>>8225948
Read textbooks, do practice problems

http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Physics_Textbook_Recommendations

>> No.8226050

>>8225948
Why exactly it isn't helping you and what is your background?

>> No.8226251

>>8225948
why do you find the math videos help but the physics doesn't?

for physics you have to understand why things happen, you can't just brute force equations and expect to understand things. the mathematics is just a language in which physical reality is described... representing relationships of different phenomena.

In physics a lot of the subject boils down to a few laws(newton's 3 laws of motion, maxwell's equations,...,) that describe nearly everything pretty well and that can be verified experimentally.

I would pick up an introductory physics book... maybe a physics for dummies or an intro textbook, and work through it, taking note of the main ideas. the better you understand the fundamental principles the better you will be at physics. if you want to keep going with khan just take a note of the ideas that come up again and again and again and master them

MIT and Yale have really good physics lectures you can watch online, but each lecture covers quite a bit of material. the professor may not spend much time on something which may be important. take a note of what they cover in those lectures... the main ideas that you need to master... then watch khan academy to understand how to use those ideas. solve problems in a textbook to get used to applying the different problem solving techniques.

>> No.8227139

>>8225948
how old are you? try little candle steamengine, go to hydraolics on supercritical fluids , then get some dealextreme stuff chips, grow rassberies in garden by raspberry, ... then i can explain laurinc x maxwell.... wiki... wolfram alfa

>> No.8227142

>>8227139
you can do some cocacola piston, then.... on youtube there is even how to put power out of lemon