[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 250 KB, 1600x1200, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8206530 No.8206530 [Reply] [Original]

Sci. I need help choosing a major/career path. I am still 1 year away from starting college. My interests vary a lot but they stay within stem fields. I have considered going into medical physics because I love physics and helping people. Also I hear that medical physicists do stuff that regular physicians couldn't touch with a pole. Other majors I've considered are electrical engineering and also physics. No I'm not looking into it because people/parents/teachers tell me that I should so no I'm not falling for a meme. I know that they will be challenging and pretty much destroy my social life. I kinda already don't have much of a social life to begin with so it shouldn't be much of a loss. I spend most of my time studying mathematics and science. I am an accomplished autodidact, I taught myself integral and differential calculus, ODE, LA, elementary real and complex analysis. The more mathematics I learn the more I think about just doing a math major. I would love to do research in mathematics but I get scared because of all the things I hear about math majors being likely to have suicidal thoughts and stuff like that. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

>> No.8206537

>>8206530
As long as you're scared you won't amount to anything. If you're really as good at math as you claim to be, then just choose a math major. Don't forget to take programming courses as well.

>> No.8206549

>>8206537
I'm not scared of the academic challenge. also you're right I need to program more. I've been told that I only need to know Python, C, C++ for what I want to do.

>> No.8206990

>>8206537
>Don't forget to take programming courses as well

Waste of credits. Learn programming on your own.