[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 502 KB, 849x565, MP900443099.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8192727 No.8192727 [Reply] [Original]

Is a physics phd a bad idea? Is it better just to go bsc/masters in EE or mech? I keep hearing about unemployment for physicists, even though some sites show good employment rates

>> No.8192736

How much do you like physics

>> No.8192774

>>8192727
I decided to go to grad school because I wanted to--not because I had a particular career in mind. I'm one person, but I think any other reason is a bad reason.

>> No.8192776

>>8192736
I don't know yet, only phys 1 in, taking e&m this coming semester. So I don't know yet if engineering would be enough

>> No.8192778

I wouldn't say that the unemployment rate is bad. You WILL get a job with a physics PhD, the question is how bad do you want that job to be in your area of research.

>> No.8192781

>>8192727
If you go PhD, you severely limit your options because you'll be so overqualified. Go BS in Physics or EE/Mech, maybe a MS for shits and giggles. Only do PhD if you want to get into academia.

>> No.8192791

>>8192727
The problem is that a degree like physics lets you qualified for very narrow fields (like physics education) or fields where competition is dire (try to work in finance, nobody is going to hire you before they exhaust the finance and math majors). But employment exists and you can get it if you are talented enough. A good field would be software development where statistics would show that there is no preferred degree and a physics major with the knowledge gets in just as easy as a CS major.

Now imagine you get a PhD in physics. Well, cross out all those software jobs because you are now officially over qualified. Any other job that could have potentially taken you... well, now you are also overqualified for it.

By getting a PhD you have reduced your employment to universities and the 0.0001% of companies that actually need research physicists on board.

But in the end, do what you want.

>> No.8192872

>>8192727
It depends on what you want to do in your life. What is important to you? How far and on which side of the security / freedom scale are you? Is it worth risking some unemployment to be able to spend your time doing or learning stuff you love or is education something that is all about finding employment and economic safety to you?

>> No.8193078

>>8192727
>I keep listening to memes on /sci/ even though actual statistics say otherwise.

God help us.