[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 2.80 MB, 4798x4798, mars-globe-valles-marineris-enhanced.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8168434 No.8168434 [Reply] [Original]

If you had the opportunity to be the first person to set foot on another planet, would you do it? The only downside is: it's a one-way trip. Your chances of ever seeing Earth again are slim.

>> No.8168436

yes but only if i get to bring my favorite snacks, I want to eat some good stuff before i die

>> No.8168437

>>8168434
>the first person
>one-way trip
Fuck no. I need several thousand colonizers for any chance of survival if I'm staying there for the rest of my life. And what are the chances I'd be the first to step off a goddamn colony ship?

>> No.8168477

I want to be the first to set foot on Venus.

One way trip, eternal fame, you know nobody else is gonna bother so you'll have an entire planet as your tomb. Mars's boring, we'll get there eventually.

>> No.8168494
File: 31 KB, 640x480, Baltic Sea Anomaly.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8168434
I'd like to build a town of /sci/entist /pol/acks and research self-sufficient and closed systems for survival on another planet, because we are very very far off from actually having the ability to start a colony that isn't heavily dependent on shipments from Earth. Maybe once that is solved I'd be up for a 1-way trip to Mars, but realistically as long as the plans for something as basic as O2 are "split water and dump the waste into the vacuum" or "melt iron oxide to free the oxygen from it" I'll pass - the former is massively wasteful and doomed to fail when logistics break down (they absolutely will at some point in the first few decades) and the latter when there is a prolonged dust storm (way too energy-intensive of a process since you need to melt it then cool it back off to avoid burning everyone alive when they breath it, a dust storm lasting more than a couple days would wipe out energy reserves for certain with the weight/cost of batteries.)

>> No.8168529

>>8168434
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz-JwI0d8f8

>> No.8168536

Venus colonies would be way more suitable than mars

Proper atmosphere, proper gravity, bigger planet, unlimited power from winds, double the solar power compared to earth, easy movement around by air, could probably just grow crops in venusian atmosphere...

Only real "question" is the difficulty of acquiring hydrogen

>> No.8168548

>>8168536
>Venus colonies would be way more suitable than mars
This is false. On Venus you might have a self-sufficient colony based on initial resources but extracting building materials (for blimps, buildings, electronics, etc) would be virtually impossible if not actually impossible with modern technology given the crushing atmosphere and level off the ground needed for 1 Atm of pressure. Mars would be far more doable with modern technology, though still a ways off from a sustainability perspective I described here >>8168494 you could at least walk/drive to different parts of the planet and cap off areas to start mining. On Venus every single thing for the next hundred+ years would have to shipped in, on Mars there is a strong chance you could start at least mining within the first decade even if only for sand to sinter together into buildings.

>> No.8168552

>>8168548
>but extracting building materials (for blimps, buildings, electronics, etc) would be virtually impossible if not actually impossible
THIS, thank you. It's not fucking viable to ship EVERY RESOURCE FOREVER.

>> No.8168559

>colonies on anything in the solar system

Full kek. Good luck with the macrogravity problem and your Venus bubbles.

>> No.8168565 [DELETED] 

>>8168559
>on anything in the solar system
>on
>the macrogravity problem
>on
Does Not Compute.

>> No.8168566

>>8168548
>given the crushing atmosphere

100 atmospheres is equivalent to 1 km depth in the ocean
Remote vehicles operated at pressure is something we have plenty of experience with
The real issue is the temperature, but thats not any show stopper.

Mining on venus will be done remotely, just like on mars
You will need to live in protected habitats, just like on mars

Is 38% gravity a problem that needs to be dealt with? Do you need to spend large amounts of time working out or in centrifuges?

The only real issue for venus is whether access to water/hydrogen is substantially more difficult than mars.

>> No.8168572

>>8168566
>Remote vehicles operated at pressure is something we have plenty of experience with
Remote vehicles =/= colony "bubbles".

However, this IS a good argument for deep-sea colonies. As I suggested in another thread, the information gained from such R&D would be useful for advancing technology that may be reused in colonizing other planets in the future.

>The only real issue for venus is whether access to water/hydrogen is substantially more difficult than mars.
Hard to argue that we should start with an easier target for our first colonization.

>> No.8168575
File: 41 KB, 643x292, 14b204e0-2500-447f-8120-e1742965821c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8168565
Nothing we can colonize has full Earth gravity. Ergo, macrogravity. Don't confuse it with microgravity like what is on the ISS. Your colonists will have children who are jello and the parent themselves will eventually turn into jello. The less gravity there is the faster it happens.

>> No.8168591

>>8168572
Venus has all the same materials as mars, or earth, its a question of finding them and how difficult they are to extract.

I think floating cities on venus is more doable than mars once the initial technical challenges are overcome.

>> No.8169468

>>8168477
>your tomb
On Venus you will more likely receive a live cremation, followed by an acid wash.

>> No.8169486

I would do it only with the guarantee that I'd never see Earth again... no data will be sent, no transmissions, as far as they're concerned I died on entry to the planet.

>> No.8169492

>>8169468
Nope exact opposite, first you get acid washed then you get cremated. Sulfuric acid does not exist at venus' surface, it's just too hot. It does exist in the clouds so if you pass through those you get acid washed.

On a side note, one could survive a jump from very high up on venus wearing a diving suit that could withstand the pressure with a very small parachute. You'd fall for quite a while too.

It's also possible that one could set foot on venus and survive by landing and then inflating a balloon to get the hell outta there.

Who knows maybe venus diving will be an extreme sport in the future

>> No.8169510

Yes i would murder everyone and claim the title of king of mars and rule forever. Fuck this gay earth