[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 28 KB, 800x600, Blue hills.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8119007 No.8119007[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Is it fair? Yes? or No? Explain, why...

I feel they could pull any cuntish move (because since it has to be standardized; i get it) in the exam with that massive weighted percentage on a 3 hour exam... Atleast make the shit 50-50 both insemester work and exams... Jeez.

>> No.8119009

>>8119007
t. butthurt CS major who cheated on all the assignments

>> No.8119010

I agree, it doesn't measure your overall understanding throughout the term.

>> No.8119016

>>8119007
that depends entirely on the class

>(because since it has to be standardized; i get it)
wtf are you talking about? no it doesnt. every class can have its own grading system, thats how it works in every university ive been at.

but i mean it really depends...something like numerical analysis with a programming component needs to have more emphasis on homework assignments or you aren't really applying what you learned, something like PDEs needs a balance of both, whereas a class like algebra or number theory is really about being able to do larger scale constructive proofs at the end of the semester which is measured best by an exam

>> No.8119021

>>8119009
Did you even read the title ^?
I'm not a CS major (I'm a maths major) and I never cheated. Sadly, I don't have any friends to share answers with. The professors make questions of their own, asking you to "prove that the compact set has a maximum?" some shit like that or "proving that its finite; totally disconnected" I hardly doubt you'd find answers like that on stackexchange and yahoo answers. Yeah, some of the stuff or snippets like that is scattered everywhere in the web. Anyways, to answer that question; you'd have to understand first before doing it.

>> No.8119029

For us, most courses are solely weighted on the exam. However, we get 4 tries every year in every course to do them because in sweden there exist no such things as finals. We read 2 cources every second month and thus we have exams and re-exams every second month. So failing occurs very often.

>> No.8119034

>>8119010
>>8119016
Meh, I guess so.

I don't think my university does not use a scaling system.

Is your university; Europe, America, or Australian? I go to an Australian University... America University's from what I've heard has like 15%-35% weighted exams; I'm guessing the scaling comes to play for them... But yet they top most Australian Universities, lol...

>> No.8119039

yes it's fair. homework and assignments should be worth jack shit for 300 level and lower classes. for math it should 400+ level courses as well. Tests should be about 10-15% depending on how many there are. Exams should be the bulk of your grade. If you ace the final you should be able to pass no matter what and if you fail it you probably shouldn't pass. Anyone can study for a day or two before the test and retain material long enough to do well but the exam usually requires knowledge to have built up from the beginning of the course. At the very least it's harder to wing it.

>> No.8119044

>>8119029
Woah, Sweden has it lockdowned, but you guys are doing well in the education world alongside Finland. I heard the masters degree in some european countries are like five years? Is it the same Sweden?

Apparently, I looked at some pure maths course at the University of Manchester; some of the exams are worth 100%. I actually don't mind (quite contradictionary); atleast you could have a stress free semester and slowly pace/work yourself up to the exam period whilst dabbling/fiddling with problem sets.

>> No.8119049

>>8119044
We have it pretty easy in Sweden, I head you guys have all exams at the end of year
and germans have 3 tries to pass the exam otherwise they have to drop out. I myself am gonna do the complex analysis exam for the 9:th time because I fucking suck at it.

>> No.8119053

>>8119007
80/20 here bby. Git gud.

>>8119021
You're an idiot if you don't think most of the proofs you get asked to do aren't classic proofs and are everywhere on the net. exams are the way to go for pure maths

>> No.8119059

>>8119039
I guess its fair; if the classes are offered every semester (not once a year; like my course).
>>8119049
But yet Sweden is doing well. That's the end of year; year 12 exams. Universities here do exams every semester; like any normal universities.

Yeah, I'd Germany is pretty strict on examination... Are they Complex Analysis much more harder than what it is...? *sigh* Atleast, if you keep trying you'll eventually pass. Good luck, bro.

>> No.8119063

>>8119053
You're loving your course, if its 80/20; it'd probably destroy a brainlet like me.

Yep, I'm an idiot; I'm a pathetic sooky lala. Maybe, partial proofs... But idunno.

>> No.8119078

>>8119063
OP, never lower yourself!
You sound like a reasonable and intelligent undergraduate and I am quite sure that you're gonna make it. Trust me, you have no idea how many time I had to vent out by complaining how some courses had flaws and blamed the small flaws why I would not pass. Everybody whined from time to time, but we got our asses straight and studied the recommended time and we all passed. I believe you will aswell.