[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 38 KB, 620x413, Nigel Atkins.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8080929 No.8080929 [Reply] [Original]

I'm a closeted tranny faggot. How long until we have a better way to sculpt bodies than hormones and some light plastic surgery? While effective for some it won't be enough for me. Given the advances in bionic prosthetics I imagine that going cyborg might be feasible in a decade or two but that's not exactly the same. Plus it is bound to cost a ridiculous amount of cash. That one arm prosthetic I read about on Ars Technica cost 200k by itself. Any other options?

Please keep this thread grounded in what might be possible according to current science rather than far off hypothetical scenarios like nanite reconstruction.

>> No.8081245

>>8080929
By the way things have been going, and still are, I would make the following educated guess:

Actual body modification the likes of which you seem to be implying, may not be possible within our lifetimes, and definitely not while we're still in our prime and not half way to drooling in some elderly home somewhere. Even in the case of prosthetic limbs, I highly doubt they would have the ability, sensory accuracy and usability of real natural body parts for a long time to come.

VR however, is a different story entirely. It seems inevitable that within a decade, we'll be able to freely interact with each other in VR, using whatever avatar we want. The only question here is the degree of quality, which depends largely on the user interfaces available at that time. It will probably take several decades to come up with ways to provide a near perfectly realistic sensory experience, but even a single decade should get us surprisingly far.

With replacements being researched for silicone based CPU/GPU architecture as we speak, such as optical & quantum computers, we're basically sitting right on top of a new explosion of computational power development. Something that should boost the pace of technological advancement well beyond what it has been like over the past decades.

Whether that happens soon or not, we will still have significant VR within the decade. And if we can develop consumer priced optical / quantum computers within that time? Well, as cliché as it is to say this: the sky's the limit.

>> No.8081376

Bout tree fitty years

>> No.8082899

>>8081245
I feel that VR as we know it right now is just a marketing buzzword. High resolution lenses and a head controlled camera do not make, say, the Rift a VR device. Immersive VR might be possible some day but we are so far from there that we haven't even taken the first step in that direction.

>> No.8083022

>>8082899
The thing with immersive VR is that it doesn't need to replace the entire reality as we perceive it. It only needs to provide an illusion strong enough to provide the required level of immersion. The way we do this, is by tackling the human senses responsible for that immersion.

Our visual, tactile (hands and legs, mostly) and balance sense are by far our most emphasized and important senses. And it just so happens that these are the first things to come:

Next gen display cards and display panels can boost the visual VR to near photorealistic levels within the next decade. This is a virtual certainty.

As for tactile and balance senses, they are already being addressed. Vive already features a room-scale tracking where real-world objects are framed into the VR for your safety, enabling you to move and balance your way in the VR world to some degree. New controllers with the functionality and texture required to increase your tactile senses are already being developed. Not to mention all the other utility supplies enabling even more immersive movement within the VR. Motion tracking too is developing at a considerable pace, potentially making many forms of controllers more or less uselss within the decade.

These are all hardly sufficient for a high-quality immersive VR experience yet, but to say that we haven't even taken the first steps is just objectively wrong.

No, you won't have a neural connection level Matrix simulation any time soon, possibly not even within our lifetimes, but you can already get amazingly immersive VR without it. It is not only likely, but probable that within a single decade, people will have spaces or entire rooms in their housing, which are entirely dedicated to VR. Areas where you can move, touch, and interact in a near photorealistic world with voice alteration etc enabling you to basically be who and whatever you want, with who and whatever you want.

>> No.8083035

>>8083022
>(...cont)

So yeah, if you're expecting to have sex in VR with a fully realistic sensory perception, or feel the cold, salty flavor of a sea breeze against your face, then you're right. It's gonna take a while.

In that case I suggest lowering your standards, because far less than that will already be an insanely amazing thing.

>> No.8083056

>Full morphological freedom when

I just want to unfurl my fiery wings as with flaming sword unsheathed I descend upon the hordes of the unrighteous.

>> No.8083075

>>8080929
I say we will be able to fully transform a man into a biological woman about 20 years after you kill yourself. Im not saying you should kill yourself, but people with the particular brand of mental illness that we like to call "transgender" have a shockingly high rate of suicide. Its bound to happen sooner or later.